Ford Mustang Forum banner

N/A mods with FI

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  sqidd 
#1 ·
So I'm new to this mustang ownership and gas engine modifications, i have only modified my trucks diesel engine. Anyways, I am looking at mods for my 4.6l and most seem to be directed towards N/A power add on. Although down the road i would like to add a Department of Boost kit to my 06 GT and dont want to waste time or money on parts that may not work well or benefit much with FI. So i was curious as to what mods work and dont work well with a blower, such as cams, throttle bodies, etc. Thanks for any help and advice.

#2 ·
I hear NA cams don't work well with a blower, you need to get the kind specifically for FI applications, but the FI cams dont work well with NA engines, and throttle bodies are pretty much pointless and so is a new intake manifold. Mods that go good with a blower would be Charge Motion Delete Plates, Long Tube Headers. However, you will reach the safe max 450whp with a stock car with the DOB kit, so IMO if you're gonna boost, go ahead and upgrade the suspension and tires so you can hook up when you get the power, it will also help a ton at the drag strip even with the stock engine.:nerd:

#4 ·
Ok this is very helpful thank you, I just have a few questions. What are charge motion delete plates? What are good suspension upgrades for these cars? The basic like shocks, struts, sway bars, etc? Anything specific these cars benefit from? Thank in advance.

#3 ·
down the road i would like to add a Department of Boost kit to my 06 GT and dont want to waste time or money on parts that may not work well or benefit much with FI. So i was curious as to what mods work and dont work well with a blower, such as cams, throttle bodies, etc. Thanks for any help and advice.
You'll find all you could possibly want to know about N/A mods on the page http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Mustang2006GT/S197_Bolt_Ons.htm of my site, but the relevant sentence is right at the end:

The other option is forced induction in which case the only basic bolt-ons you’d need to enhance performance are CMDPs/LT headers/midpipe for a centrifugal supercharger, LT headers/midpipe alone for a Roots style or twin screw supercharger with integral intake manifold, and CMDPs/UDPs for a turbo.

#5 ·
Ok very helpful link thank you, it outlined all the N/A mods as the sticky post does. So almost all N/A mods are usless except LT headers and a tuner it seems. What about Detroit Rocker cams that are for a supercharger? Also what the heck is CMDP and UDPs? Thanks

#6 ·
If you are planning to do the supercharger, you do not need ANY other engine modifications to get to ~450 RWHP which is about the most these engines can safely handle on the stock internals. This seems to be about the sweet spot for other driveline components such as the clutch and transmission also. (no guarantees on any of it)

If I was planning to go that route, I would focus on that first. Go to the DOB site and get the install manual; then start collecting parts. If you are patient and watch Craig's List and sales, you can probably save a bundle on the parts and pieces. Once you have accumulated most of it, then get the manifold and the rest of the kit from DOB and do the supercharger install.

Then after that, you can see what are the other real needs and address those.

Or in the mean time you could do the suspension stuff, that is all pretty well known stuff. But that will take money away from the supercharger fund.

CMDP's are "Charge Motion Delete Plates" which are part of the stock intake manifold, this is completely replaced if you do the supercharger so they would be thrown away at that point.

UDP's are Under-Drive Pulleys which also would need to be changed back to stock for the supercharger.

You don't even need the headers to get to about ~450HP with the blower.

#9 ·
If you're planning on going the DOB route, no N/A modification will be of benefit, as you're limited at 450rwhp by the stock rods. If you throw in forged rods and pistons, certain mods will be beneficial. Jason has a pretty good write up on this on the DOB website.

I'm currently piecing together a DOB kit myself, and I wish I'd went that route first. I'd have saved a lot of money and would already have it on my car.

My mods are: JLT Series 3 CAI, Steeda UDPs, DIY CMDPs, Brenspeed SCT X4 tuning, off road H, and Barton short throw shifter. Odds are, the shifter and catless exhaust is all that's going to transfer when I go FI.

Keep in mind, no N/A mod I list will change the fact that you'll have 450rwhp with the DOB kit unless you throw in forged internals.

Cams: N/A cams don't do well with FI and FI cams can't be run safely N/A. Mild NSR cams can ride the middle ground and give some rumble, but you're spending 1/4 of the DOB kit to pick up 10hp.

Headers: will pick up a small amount N/A (10-20whp), but again you're spending 1/4 of the DOB kit. Down the road, headers will add heat to the engine compartment moreso than stock manifolds, so they may actually hurt at the 450rwhp level with the DOB kit. If you have forged internals and are aiming for the 575rwhp realm, headers aren't a bad idea as they'll flow better and make power at less boost (allows you to stay on pump gas easier).

CMDP: DOB eliminates the CMCV system, so you'll be pulling these back off.

Underdrive pulleys: May or may not be usable at the 450rwhp level. I'm going to contact Jason (DOB) to see if I can run it with my Steeda UDPs.

Cold Air Intake: You guessed it, doesn't transfer with the SC.

Aluminum driveshaft: picks up about 5rwhp N/A, but you guessed it, 1/4 of the DOB kit and stock rods still keep you limited to 450rwhp.

#10 ·
Wow this is all very helpful thank you guys. I think I'm going to stick with just a tuner and an exhaust system for now. Wrapped headers and deleted cats and something I'd like to do too. But I have been searching suspension upgrades and it's almost overwhelming. I knew there would be a lot of after marker parts for these cars, but wow.

#11 · (Edited)
"Underdrive pulleys: May or may not be usable at the 450rwhp level. I'm going to contact Jason (DOB) to see if I can run it with my Steeda UDPs."

Installing supercharger requires the stock crank pulley be reinstalled so at least this under drive pulley isn't used. On the Saleen VI I installed I had to remove under drives. Not sure of other s/c.

#12 ·
"Underdrive pulleys: May or may not be usable at the 450rwhp level. I'm going to contact Jason (DOB) to see if I can run it with my Steeda UDPs."

Installing supercharger requires the stock crank pulley be reinstalled so at least this under drive pulley isn't used. on the Saleen VI I installed. Had to remove under drives on my s/c install. Not sure of other s/c.
This is because the small "underdrive" crank pulley will underdrive the blower just like everything else. You could compensate with a smaller pulley on the blower but I think the better solution is to go with the stock crank pulley / harmonic ballancer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.