Ford Mustang Forum banner

Any thing new with spark plugs

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  luckyloke 
#1 · (Edited)
Anything new with spark plugs

I've been looking to see if there is any new/current spark plug Suggestions. I can't find any info newer than 2010-2011 when I search. Basically every threat is about removal. I know all about the removal issues and have an experienced mechanic with the removal tool.

I have a 40K mile 2006 GT with a tune and intake.
My research leads me to believe Champions are 50/50 . My mechanic wasn't stoked about them either. Am I just supposed to get another set of Motorcraft and deal with possible breaking issues again later? I know the Brisk are one piece and seem to work well, but I have read of a relatively limited life expectancy for the price.
I'd appreciate some current info. Maybe nothing changed in 5 years?

#3 · (Edited)
just my experience. I have an 05' GT. I changed the OEM SP-514 plugs out at 33k, now at 58k. I tried the E3 at first and it idled great but out on the road it went to limp mode and multiple misfires 3 blocks out of the garage. I removed the E3 and put back in the SP-514 plugs to get to the parts store. I then got the HT1 autolites. again, same exact issue, limp mode/multiple misfire. removed the HT1 and back with the SP-514 with nickel anti-seize on the snouts only. I drove on those for a few thou until I found a set of new Motorcraft SP-514 plugs on CL for 65$. I installed them with the same nickel anti-seize on the snouts only and car has ran great. some have great luck with the Champions, I'm not going to mess with them. also the gap I think is important. out of the box, the SP-514 are .0054. the other brands are .0044 IIRC, from various parts sites. ill pull them out every 6 months or so just to check on em. good luck

#4 ·
I've been running the E3's for more than 2 years now, granted not a ton of miles (15-20K) but I've never had a single issue with them.

Reactions: Jeremy Weigel
#5 ·
Spark Plug Removal 5.4
4/28/11
When I decided it was time tochange the plugs (2006 Mark LT 4x2, 5.4, 35,000 miles) with the Motorcraft SP515’s. Although I knew about the carbonbuild-up/plug removal issue, I decided not to change the plugs until there wasa replacement plug that I was comfortable with…meaning I knew it was a goodquality plug in terms of component design and construction.
FYI- Why I choose Motorcraft.
In the 1970’s I ran (like many)Champion’s in just about everything (even had the gold palladiums), but stoppedin the early 1980’s when they changed their copper-core design and theresulting quality problems that IMHO still exist today. Since then I have run Splitfire(non-platinum) in my old world (1960’s) cars, Bosch in my late 1990’s vehicles(both because the cylinder head design really prefers these types of plugs),but I really had hesitation because of the construction/component quality ofthe non-Motorcraft plugs and really questioned the durability in thisapplication about the Motorcraft SP508 or SP 509’s which are single platinum. Given the types of loads and burn/flamepromulgation rates in the chambers, I really had doubts about the style of theplug with single platinum having the ability to “survive” as long as theyengineers said. What do ya know…the SP515’s (replacements) are double platinum....and run a good as you can get IMHO.....I can still take a Cadillac Escalade, GMC of F150 off the line by 2-3 feet with no issue.......part because of the smoothness, crisp response but secondly, the tranny...which gives me about 5% more torque than the f150 auto.

#6 ·
When I decided it was time tochange the plugs (2006 Mark LT 4x2, 5.4, 35,000 miles) with the Motorcraft SP515’s. Although I knew about the carbonbuild-up/plug removal issue, I decided not to change the plugs until there wasa replacement plug that I was comfortable with…meaning I knew it was a goodquality plug in terms of component design and construction.
FYI- Why I choose Motorcraft.
In the 1970’s I ran (like many)Champion’s in just about everything (even had the gold palladiums), but stoppedin the early 1980’s when they changed their copper-core design and theresulting quality problems that IMHO still exist today. Since then I have run Splitfire(non-platinum) in my old world (1960’s) cars, Bosch in my late 1990’s vehicles(both because the cylinder head design really prefers these types of plugs),but I really had hesitation because of the construction/component quality ofthe non-Motorcraft plugs and really questioned the durability in thisapplication about the Motorcraft SP508 or SP 509’s which are single platinum. Given the types of loads and burn/flamepromulgation rates in the chambers, I really had doubts about the style of theplug with single platinum having the ability to “survive” as long as theyengineers said. What do ya know…the SP515’s (replacements) are double platinum....and run a good as you can get IMHO.....I can still take a Cadillac Escalade, GMC of F150 off the line by 2-3 feet with no issue.......part because of the smoothness, crisp response but secondly, the tranny...which gives me about 5% more torque than the f150 auto.

#7 ·
WoW!
This plug thing is the craziest ever - The SP-514 plugs from AM sounds like the best alternative.

Why would there be so many choices for an OEM plug?

#11 ·
I've been curious if anyone has run these Brisk plugs
Brisk USA GOR17LGS: Premium LGS Spark Plug Thread: 14mm | JEGS

I don't have the two piece plugs, but changed mine for a new set of Motorcrafts. Had issue with anti-seize on two plugs and two plugs with cracks in the porcelain. Had the two cracked ones replaced and pulled the other two that fouled, cleaned them and put them back in. Still had a slight miss, which was gone after 1 tank of Shell V-Nitro 93 octane...

Be careful with the anti-seize as real easy to put too much on and foul the plugs. Also, pulled mine with the engine hot and that was a good choice.

#12 ·
I'm on my 2nd set of E3's (3rd set of plugs overall). First set I inadvertently took advantage of their 100k/5yr warranty and used them for 95k miles and almost 5yrs with no issues. Even posted pics in another thread. 2nd set I had one of the ground electrodes break off after a month, but thankfully it didn't do any damage to the cylinder, piston, or valves. Replaced it and did a warranty claim on the plug, however, the post office lost it....

#13 ·
Thanks for the input guys.
I had read part of Beechkids answer before but guess I didn't read through all the way. Though he was advocating Champions.

"What do ya know…the SP515’s (replacements) are double platinum.."

These do require new ignition coils but you can get a kit with coils and plugs on ebay for $130 shipped.

Time to buy some seafoam.

#14 · (Edited)
My dad uses Autolites in his 5.4 3V F150 with no problems at all.

EDIT: He also said he had misfire problems with Champions...he wasted $80 on Champion plugs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.