Ford Mustang Forum banner

2006 Mustang, crazy HP possible lying owner? Worth it or not?

6K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  zach290 
#1 ·
I have mainly been looking for a Shelby GT500 to buy as a daily driver, but recently I came across a 2006 mustang that peaked my interest due to the mods on it.
I am not sure if the car is worth the 20k he is asking for it, and I am suspicious of all the claims. I am not sure if I would rather have it or a Shelby GT500 I have been looking for (2013/14, unless another catches my eye).
I especially do not really believe the dyno claims.

It is a 2006 Mustang
GT trim level
45k miles

Claimed dyno specs-
870 WHP
1100 BHP
735 lb-ft Torque

Mods, done by Roush-
V8 5.0L Coyote w/Saleen Series VI SC
Dual 80mm Roush Throttle Body
120mm Lighting Mass Air Intake
Roush Short Throw 5-spd Transmission
GT500 fuel injectors, he said 39 lb/hr, 45 lb/hr, and 85 lb/hr so I have no clue which it actually is, most recent ad is 85 so I am assuming he swapped them.
Bassani long-tube headers
Bassani X-shape crossover, high-flow cats, and Bassani after-cat with race mufflers

I am supposed to go test drive it this next weekend.

See less See more
#3 ·
#5 ·
....871.48 rwhp on 39lb injectors.....?

Considering 47s turd out shy of 600.... I smell bull

Reactions: Beechkid
#6 ·
In my opinion, it sounds like the guy has more money than sense and is clueless on the car. I'd walk away from it. For 20k, you could buy a similar mileage 2005-2009 GT, have the motor built, and slap on a DOB for a car that'd eat this one's lunch if the mods listed are right (39lb injectors means it's half of advertised power), plus you'd have a fresh build you'd know every mod on and exactly how it's been run.

#7 ·
2007-12 GT500 injectors are 47 lb/hr, but even then they will not support 870 wheel. And even if they could, that is beyond the limits of 93 octane. Just on the fuel side of things, a Mustang on that level will need a return style fuel system conversion, 1000cc injectors or larger, and larger fuel rails running on E85 or race fuel. This car is probably making more like 570 wheel and for the amount of work done with the Roush built engine, roll cage, etc, it's probably worth the asking price, IF the seller can provide receipts/proof for everything. You are looking at a minimum of $20k in parts and labor if everything he is listing is in the car.

#8 ·
Yeah the numbers do sound crazy, but it could still be a good deal for $20K if it has anywhere near what is listed. Then again it could be an unmanageable Frankenstein monster. If you have the time and money to deal with the issues that might come up, it could be pretty cool.

Sometimes having more money than brains can be good for the guy who buys the discarded toys cheap

But I would be very leary; can you take someone with you to look at it who really knows what they are looking at? No offense, maybe you know what you are looking at, but I know that I do not.

#9 ·
Some of this doesn't make sense.
Roush Built – 302 Ford Saleen Supercharged Coyote Ford engine Just gone through - Roush Performance doesn't use Saleen products, they use their own
Block – Aluminum 4.6-liter - is the engine a 4.6 or 5.0 Coyote? 4.6, even with forged internals, has limits way below listed HP and TQ
Bore – 3.55-inch
Stroke – 3.649-inch
Displacement – 302ci - this equates to a 5.0 not a 4.6
Rods – Titanium Cracked powdered metal with floating wristpins
Pistons – Hypereutectic aluminum
Crankshafts – Roush - not sure Roush Performance makes crankshafts
Lifter – Jesel Solid Body Hydraulic Rollers SOHC, three Ferrear titanium valves per cylinder, variable camshaft timing
Intake – Composite shell-welded single-runner, charge motion control valves
Throttle Body – Dual 80mm GT500
Mass Air – 90mm Lightning
Power Adder -Custom Saleen Series VI twin-screw supercharger - again, Roush Performance makes their own TVS2300 SC's
Fuel System – 2-GT500 fuel pumps, 39-lb/hr injectors
Headers – Bassani long-tube stainless steel headers
Exhaust – Bassani X-shape crossover w/high-flow cats, and Bassani after-cat with race mufflers

#14 ·
He claims it was a custom thing he had done, and that's why there is a Saleen.
Says it is a 5.0 not 4.6, but I dont know why he listed it in that ad as that. Suspicious.

I will thoroughly talk to him, look at records/receipts/etc and photograph the vehicle to see what is really going on with this car Saturday.

#15 ·
Hows the Duck thing go, If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it must be a Duck. Question is what kind of a Duck.

#16 ·
i Watched the episode of "engine power" where the did the twin turbo install. If they used that kit it might be possible, with the right dunk and slicks.
The guys on the show couldn't get more than 850 rwhp because the tire slipped on the roller too much.

#19 ·
I'll add to this ....

Roush Built – 302 Ford Saleen Supercharged Coyote Ford engine Just gone through - Roush Performance doesn't use Saleen products, they use their own
Block – Aluminum 4.6-liter - is the engine a 4.6 or 5.0 Coyote? 4.6, even with forged internals, has limits way below listed HP and TQ
Bore – 3.55-inch
Stroke – 3.649-inch ... Stock 'Yote crankshft machined to fit the 4.6l oil pump ??
Displacement – 302ci - this equates to a 5.0 not a 4.6 ... A bit a semantics, and rounding up here, 5-liters is 305.5 CI, so the 'Yote is technically a 4.9L ..

These next two statements about the rods/pistons make zero sense ..
Rods – Titanium Cracked powdered metal with floating wristpins ... Which is it ... are they Titanium [stoopidly expensive and short fatigue life] or cracked powdered metal i,e Stock 'Yote Rods ..???
Pistons – Hypereutectic aluminum ... Stock pistons are also Hypereutectic aluminum alloy ... no mention of the rings ??

Crankshafts – Roush - not sure Roush Performance makes crankshafts .. Roush used Kellogg crankshafts and Mahle 4032 pistons ..
Lifter – Jesel Solid Body Hydraulic Rollers SOHC, .. The 3v doesn't use hydraulic rollers, it uses a cam follower/lash adjuster setup ... Jesel only makes a solid lash adjuster for the 3v. And these Jesel parts are also stoopidly expensive ...
three Ferrear titanium valves per cylinder, variable camshaft timing ... What are Ferrear Valve? Same as a Rollex watch?

These two statements about the intake also make zero sense .. Saleen TS don't use CMV's ..

Intake – Composite shell-welded single-runner, charge motion control valves ...
Power Adder -Custom Saleen Series VI twin-screw supercharger - again, Roush Performance makes their own TVS2300 SC's ... I'm presuming it's a Saleen unit not a TVS, neither are capable of supporting 870rwhp on a 3 valve .. The TVS can barely support 800 on a 'Yote which has much better heads ...

Throttle Body – Dual 80mm GT500
Mass Air – 90mm Lightning .. What exactly is going on here? Did he fabricate a custom intake?
Fuel System – 2-GT500 fuel pumps, 39-lb/hr injectors ... ??? on the injectors, and the stock GT500 pumps will not support 870wp either ..
Headers – Bassani long-tube stainless steel headers
Exhaust – Bassani X-shape crossover w/high-flow cats, and Bassani after-cat with race mufflers

#27 ·
That add is far enough into Fairytale land to warrant being ignored. I wouldn't even go there. Besides, you're looking for a daily driver. Anything with more than 400 RWHP will be the WORST daily driver one could possibly experience. i have enough trouble dealing with torque backing out of a space at the supermarket with my bone stock 2005 GT.

Also, people selling REAL cars like that include a dyno sheet in the add

Frame of reference. A Bugatti Veyron has 1000 HP, and it costs over two or three WADZILLION bananas.

#28 ·
It's worth checking out to figure out what is actually going on with the car now.
Just to see what is real and what is fake.

And a 1000HP car that's far far less than a Veyron isnt anything that is unheard of. Such as the Shelby 1000 that's under 200k.
For 20k it is though.

Im looking for a daily driver, but if it is still a good mustang and I can get it for cheap ill take it as a toy.

Not really, 2013/14 GT500's are great daily drivers w/662HP. The one I drove for a week last year had a Whipple and bolt-on mods with around 800 or 850.
2010-2012's GT500 are also great daily drivers. At least for me, that is.

#31 ·
I like how you think Zach. I feel like I'm one of the few Mustang DDs on this forum. It only stays home when they're forecasting deep snow. If I had the means, I'd be daily driving an 08 GT500. Always loved the looks of them and the hp/tq would suit me just fine.
Btw, headers and catted H-pipe followed by dyno tune will be done to my DD sometime in the next month.
Looking forward to what you find out about the car.
:popcorn:

#35 ·
Thanks, I just couldn't own a great car and not drive it. Life is too short to let it sit in the garage and be super babied.
Especially here in Texas where I can drive it anytime there isnt hail basically, and would always be inside when not being drove both at work and home.

Oh cool, that should be fun! Let me know how it works out!

Ill let you know what this Mysterious car turns out to have.

#32 ·
I'm thinking you'll find a cosmetic copy of the car in the Bev Hills photos. They spent what? 200,000 dollars building it, once asked 75,000 and now 20,000? Nope. Not convinced.

The definition of a daily driver seems to be expanding.

#37 ·
It will be a fun mission, just take it with a grain of salt and don't get upset if it turns out to be bull.

I thought a "daily driver" was any car that you drove regularly, as in daily. I'd gladly drive a GT500 daily, if I could afford one. My 2010 GT is my daily driver, except in the winter because it has summer-only tires on it.

But a daily driver does need to be reliable and manageable in traffic; not sure a highly modified "race car" fits that description.

#38 ·
Yeah, definitely. It won't bother me if it is, I am expecting that most of it is BS and just checking it out for fun to see what is really going on. And maybe if it was still a good mustang without issues and I could get it cheap id buy it as a toy.

Yeah, it is. This mustang wouldn't be my DD for sure, just a toy. GT500 or similar would be my daily.

#40 ·
Here is the big reveal...

Well the car is real and pretty badass
He has paperwork for everything ever done to the car, including proof that for some reason Roush did it. (Claimed a good friend of his is very close to Jack himself.) Definitely has the money to back it, and not care about any losses.
Ill compile a parts list with the massive amount of info he gave me, gonna take a day or two, or three to go through.
Still not sure the exact mods at this time.

Video- Running, short ride, and overview of mostly everything.

Pics-
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

#41 ·
At the moment we have made a "deal" with conditions, and the car will be my toy soon. After I check out the paper work in depth itll be final. Saw the physical receipts today. (Basically, everything has to check out and pass my 3-page check list on it I compiled based on everyone's post and my mechanic)

#42 ·
Uh Oh, no airbags on the steering wheel. That car will probably never see a new registration for a street car in California, completely not street legal. Now I know why it's been so hard to sell.

#43 ·
Can you post your 3 page check list and show any discrepancies between advertised mods and what's really there?
I reread this thread and have a question. If he was fudging on some of the mod info, wouldn't there have been some major failures when it was run up to and over 200mph at a couple events?
Regardless Zach, looks like your gonna get the toy you wanted. Hope the "deal" works out for you.
If it were me and everything checked out to my liking performance wise, there is something I'd have to change after I bought it. I'd get rid of that Gas Monkey green that's been strewn around the car. Lol. Starting with that roll cage. "Wooooooooo....Get you some of that!!!"

#45 ·
The checklist is pretty much just checking everything and every single part installed. Everything from the engine to the grade of the bolts and how many on the roll bar.

There are many discrepancies, and I will have to look through receipts and go to my mechanic to figure out parts.
The owner is just a really really rich guy who has a massive ego to feed and could careless about his money. So he doesn't really know his car, he just pays people a lot of money to do it for him.

He is getting me his videos and photo proof of the 200mph events as well. The car specs are fudged because the owner not knowing his car, but the money is definitely there to back it being able to.

Definitely, the Gas Monkey green on the car, the roll cage, the stupid carbon wrap crap that is on it too lol.
The roll cage in it is mainly for looks, only secured with one or two grade 5 bolts in each corner, so it's useless basically.

#49 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.