Ford Mustang Forum banner

Cardone rebuilt Brembo calipers- FYI

10K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  jbojohnny 
#1 ·
Anyone interested in these, they are a good deal. RockAuto has them in stock. And they come with everything pictured here- new crossover line, hardware, crush washers and banjo bolt. You can now do a Brembo upgrade for under $400 with all new/rebuilt parts, never thought it would be that cheap.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, yeah that is cheap. My computer won't load the picture so I can't see exactly what is there; but based on your post it sounds like you would just need the rotors and pads. Stainless braided lines are a good idea too while you're at it.

#6 ·
2007 GT500, look at front calipers.

2007 FORD MUSTANG 5.4L V8 Supercharged Caliper | RockAuto

I don't know if that link works, but they are 18-5128 and 18-5129. You can also find them on ebay. Make sure you're getting the Cardone version with metal pistons and not the Wagner version with phenolic pistons.

And yes, these bolt right up to the spindle and even use the same brake flex hose.

#10 ·
Would you also use the GT500 rotors and pads for these calipers?

D4S
There is good aftermarket support for GT500 rotors and for pads with applicability from street-only all the way up to serious road-race.

My computer won't load the picture so I can't see exactly what is there; but based on your post it sounds like you would just need the rotors and pads. Stainless braided lines are a good idea too while you're at it.
Try right-clicking on the picture and opening it in a new tab. I've been having to do that with attached thumbnail pictures on this site for some time now.

Norm

#9 ·
Yes.

#11 ·
Looks like a great find, the Brembo Brakes make a huge difference! Especially if you have upgraded the power.
If you want them, get them, you'll be happy with results.

#15 · (Edited)
I ordered the same Cardone calipers last month and returned them. Be aware they are not rebuilt Brembos. They are reproduction calipers made in China. Although the pictures on the Cardone site show the "FoMoCo" and "Brembo" castings on the caliper, mine were totally devoid of any markings or part numbers in the casting. The only markings were a few inked characters. Perhaps the inspector markings. The box even had a tiny label beneath the main label stating "Made in China".

To RockAuto's and Cardone's credit nowhere on the web site does it say Brembo (other than the picture cited above) and RockAuto gave me full credit when I returned them.

While they looked beefy enough, I had no way to tell what type of alloy aluminum was used or the quality of the pistons/seals. They may be fine for street use but since I will be taking my car to a road course track, I felt that for another $150 or $180 per caliper from Tasca Parts it would be foolish for me to skimp on such a major safety related part.

Attachments

#16 ·
FYI, just because they say made in China it does not mean they are reproductions. There are a lot of rebuilt parts that come out of China anymore. Also these are "unauthorized" rebuilds so of course they aren't going to say Brembo anywhere.

I haven't checked the casting on mine but it would not surprise me if they ground off names/ID cast into the caliper considering it is an unauthorized rebuild.

#17 · (Edited)
Look again. The area where the numbers should be is unblemished. Real Brembos also have part numbers cast into the top inside edge of each half of the caliper. Again, this is smooth unblemished area. Look at the machined area around the mounting holes. A bolt has never touched those surfaces. At least visually they did a great job reverse engineering the part. They may work fine on the street but if you have any intention of pushing your car's limit I would research this much more closely than relying on just assumptions. Like they say, if it's too good to be true it usually isn't. I usually just view these forums but having recently bought and returned these parts I thought it was important enough to register so I could post this reply and provide additional data for people contemplating making a purchase.

#18 ·
Damn. Well...I was thinking those castings looked a little too perfect for a rebuilt caliper. That kinda sucks.

#20 ·
I put them on my car Saturday evening but had two minor hiccups- 1) I couldn't find my brake bleeding stuff, and 2) one on of the guide pins that came with the driver's side caliper was completely the wrong pin so I had to order another hardware kit.

Also the factory fronts are 2 piston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.