08 Mustang GT - 1st Budget Friendly Upgrade - Ford Mustang Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

08 Mustang GT - 1st Budget Friendly Upgrade

Just got my first mustang this month - 2008 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L.

I am totally new to the mustang scene so I am looking for advice on what would be most peoples first budget friendly ($500 ish) upgrade?

The car is a joy ride so will not be a daily driver, etc. I have already had it serviced - needed new ball joints so had those replaced. I also put new tires and replacement wheels on it. Otherwise it's totally stock other than it has some sort of aftermarket hood on it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR1258.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	592.7 KB
ID:	564073  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017
PONY Member

That's a clean looking ride. Congrats.

As for mods, what is your main focus with the car? Do you want it to corner harder, or accelerate faster?

If it was my car I'd be looking to do a gear swap or a midpipe + tune of some sort.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Kurgan tuned--coilover suspension
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The first thing that comes to my mind is louder mufflers. That is assuming that you'd like to enjoy the sound of that wonderful V8 a little more.

Mufflers, also known as "axle back" are an easy do-it-yourself installation; and can be had anywhere from $200-$500 for the pair. The only hard part is choosing them because the sound clips that you can find on the net do not sound like they really sound in person.

One way to attack this: watch your local Craig's List for deals, and go for whatever comes up that sounds good and is cheap! People are modding these cars all the time so there is always a steady flow of stuff on Craig's List; you just have to be patient until the stuff you want comes up.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I should have mentioned that the car is an automatic. So I am thinking acceleration is my first focus. I did forget that the prior owner did change out the back end exhaust and looking at them it appears to be these Flowmaster Outlaw Cat-Back Exhaust.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I was thinking of maybe the first start being CAI plus a tuner. However at AM their kit is over my $500 budget.

Is it safe to buy a tuner off of Ebay? - I see several Bama tuners but I don't know which would be ideal nor if its safe to buy a used one.

Are there any economical CAI's out there?
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017
PONY Member

If you want better acceleration, a rear end gear upgrade will give the best seat of the pants feel and knock a few tenths from your quarter mile times when paired with good tires. If you have 3.31s in the car, going to a 3.90 would be a nice upgrade. If you don't do a lot of highway driving, I would even consider 4.10s as they'll get the car moving even better.

If you insist on the intake & tune route, getting a tuner from Ebay is fine. You just need to make sure the tuner is unlocked AND unmarried as the custom tune files are specific to each car. If the previous owner did not unmarry the device from his car, you will not be able to use it and the cost to get that restored from SCT is $150. Oh and stick with a SCT X3, X4 or Bama tuner. Most tuners prefer SCT devices.

There are cheap intakes that don't require a tune but they don't yield much power, if at all. To stay within budget your best bet is to look around the forums and find a used one. I'm seeing lots of different brand name intakes in the $150 range.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Kurgan tuned--coilover suspension
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017
Apprentice

Look at Brenspeed, I've had good luck with their tunes and they have pretty good cai/tuner package prices. Your car looks very nice!!
bl817 likes this.

2006 Legend Lime GT..JLT cai with Brenspeed tune..BBK stainless long tube headers with their catted x pipe..magnaflow exhaust..GMS coil pack.. Eibach springs..MGW flat stick shifter...Detroit Rocker cams...CMDP's
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I will mostly do highway driving.. etc. I can do simple work but to swap out gears I am not sure how to do that nor probably have the tools. What sorta cost do you think I will have to do the 3.90 (sounds like these are OK for highway driving)?

I am not hard set on the CAI/ Tuner as the first upgrade. If gears are a better option I would not rule them out.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Personally I would not buy a tuner off of e-bay because you don't really know what you are getting. There can be issues with the tuner being "locked" or "married" that will quickly eat up any potential savings. I think you are better off buying it from a company that also offers tunes -- such as Brenspeed or Bama -- to take advantage of their tuning programs; or if you have a local dyno tuner then talk to them about what tuner they use and what would be the best approach.

You can get good deals on the CAI on e-bay or your local Craig's List, if you are patient and have a good idea what you want. For example: my 2010 GT is pretty specific on the intake and it took me over a year of watching, but I finally picked up a Steeda intake for $100 which is exactly the one I wanted. I bought the tuner separately from Bama with "tunes for life" so I had them write me a new tune. (haven't installed it yet and I'm a little worried by what I have been hearing about Bama lately . . . )

Another low cost mod is underdrive pulleys, which will free up some horsepower but will not make a dramatic difference. Also Charge Motion Delete Plates.

If you drive a lot of highway miles, make sure you understand the change in cruising RPM before you go to steep gears like 3.90
dt2010gt likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok so I read up on the underdrive and the charge motion, etc.

So I am wondering.. for better acceleration yet keeping in mind it will be mostly highway miles... am I better off with gears or doing the underdrive/charge motion/CAI/Tune ?

Either way seems I'll be over the $500 mark but just trying to determine best plan for making the car a bit more responsive.

Last edited by kaoskido; 05-18-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

bump.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

I recommend you start with this:

JLT Series 3 CAI 110mm & SCT X4 Tuner Package (2005-09 GT)

It's a little over your $500 budget but well worth saving for.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.67 @ 108.61
310rwhp 328rwtq with simple bolt-ons
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoskido View Post
Just got my first mustang this month - 2008 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L.

I am totally new to the mustang scene so I am looking for advice on what would be most peoples first budget friendly ($500 ish) upgrade?

The car is a joy ride so will not be a daily driver, etc. I have already had it serviced - needed new ball joints so had those replaced. I also put new tires and replacement wheels on it. Otherwise it's totally stock other than it has some sort of aftermarket hood on it.
Throw a 150 shot with a dyno tune and you will be in the low 12's. Cost $1,600......
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

What is a 150 shot ?
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoskido View Post
What is a 150 shot ?

It's a dose of nitrous designed to produce a 150 horsepower increase. Personally I am not a big fan of nitrous; it is mostly useful on the drag strip and technically illegal on the street. I think the CAI/tune is probably the best-bang-for-buck first mod. The underdrive pulleys do have a little controversy around them and are a subtle change, not a big noticeable thing (BTW I have had no problems with them at all). For the gears, you should consider your highway driving and decide whether acceleration or cruising RPM are more important to you. You can do the math with available on-line calculators to find the RPM change for different gear ratios. To get a rough idea what an extreme gear change would be like, try driving on the highway with OD off on your automatic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page