Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang Talk Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-28-2009   #1 (permalink)
Gotadime is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

Gotadime's Country Flag  View Gotadime's 2 photos  View Gotadime's HomePage
Lexington   Kentucky
Gotadime is on a distinguished road
Default Need help fixing curb rash on chrome rims.

Hey everyone,

I have a set of 20" American Racing Chrome Rebels on my 'Stang and I got some minor curb rash last night. It was one of the worst sounds I've ever heard, lol. It's not very noticeable, but I would like to do all I can to fix what is there, without replacing the rim.

So, my question to you is: Do you have any advice on fixing curb rash on Chrome Rims?

Attached are a couple pictures of the damage.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Gotadime
Attached Thumbnails
Need help fixing curb rash on chrome rims.-dsc04416.jpg  Need help fixing curb rash on chrome rims.-dsc04418.jpg  Need help fixing curb rash on chrome rims.-dsc04417.jpg  
bought a Camaro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2009   #2 (permalink)
IhaveadopeGT is offline Made Member

4.6L Member

IhaveadopeGT's Country Flag
Austin   Texas
IhaveadopeGT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to IhaveadopeGT

I think you forgot the pics

I have curb rash on my stock rims and they are chrome as well. I was quoted $100-125 per wheel to have them refinished by a local shop. So you could estimate the price to be similar to have yours fixed. You will want to ask around locally and inquire with people who have experience with the shop. I heard discount tire will do it for the same price, I rarely go there because it's usually a bunch of HS kids working there and they tend to not care what happens to your wheels. I have had several discussions with Managers at various Discount Tire stores and how my wheels were damaged by Tech's working. So avoid them entirely unless it's your only resort.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-28-2009   #3 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Lexington   Kentucky

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure that I want to spend that kind of money to repair them - for $100 more I could just buy a new rim and not have to worry about anything getting screwed up. Plus, it's so minor that you can't even see it without putting your face right up to the rim. The only reason I would want them repaired is because I know it's there.

I was thinking of something that I could do myself, like buffing it and getting some chrome paint to touch up the two noticeable white areas. I just figured you all might have some advice in that range.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the pics. I fixed that - apparently they were originally too big to upload.

-Gotadime
bought a Camaro
Unread 02-28-2009   #4 (permalink)
MustDangRider is offline Made Member

MustDangRider's Country Flag
Spring   Texas
MustDangRider is on a distinguished road

Its funny that you say that, Ive got a few friends from school that work for Discount Tire Co. but theyre not jerks we all value our cars very highly and respect others so theyre not the ones youd be complaining about. I will say that discount tire does have pretty good brands and decent prices.
Unread 02-28-2009   #5 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Lexington   Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustDangRider View Post
Its funny that you say that, Ive got a few friends from school that work for Discount Tire Co. but theyre not jerks we all value our cars very highly and respect others so theyre not the ones youd be complaining about. I will say that discount tire does have pretty good brands and decent prices.
Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't really help answer my question.
bought a Camaro
Unread 02-28-2009   #6 (permalink)

Spring   Texas

OO well our bad, heres some advice on how to get them rims fixed...Walk out to your garage and get in your v6, go to the rim shop and ask how much its gonna cost. Hell if you leave now and floor it all the way there you MIGHT just make it in time before they close tonight. Be ccareful parking though, we dont want you getting any curb rash, Oh wait I forgot
Unread 02-28-2009   #7 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Lexington   Kentucky

Quote:
OO well our bad, heres some advice on how to get them rims fixed...Walk out to your garage and get in your v6, go to the rim shop and ask how much its gonna cost. Hell if you leave now and floor it all the way there you MIGHT just make it in time before they close tonight. Be ccareful parking though, we dont want you getting any curb rash, Oh wait I forgot
OO well thanks for giving me another useful reply! I'm sure I'll be "ccareful" parking it.
bought a Camaro
Unread 02-28-2009   #8 (permalink)
burnrubber4.0 is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

burnrubber4.0's Country Flag  View burnrubber4.0's 34 photos
New Castle   Indiana
burnrubber4.0 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to burnrubber4.0

wow dude, dont gotta be a d!ck about it. he has one of the sickest stangs youll ever see, and you drive an old 96' GT that thats only got a few easy bolt on mods that still doesnt make that muc more power than our 6's. of course hes gonna ask a simple queston on how to get it back to looking new. while its still a mustang,i would worry more about his car than yours anyday.
2006 4.0 V6 Mustang/X Charger #128
Mods: Too many, check out my profile.
Probably currently under modification...
My wheels are for sale! Look in the classifieds!
Unread 02-28-2009   #9 (permalink)

Spring   Texas

I would hope a grown man would have a nicer car than a burger flipping 16year old. And even though my cars "old" Its got just under 75K miles, also those bolt ons are temporary until I get a decent job(those are hard to come by at 16) and can really do what I wanna do with it...
Unread 02-28-2009   #10 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Lexington   Kentucky

Quote:
I would hope a grown man would have a nicer car than a burger flipping 16year old. And even though my cars "old" Its got just under 75K miles, also those bolt ons are temporary until I get a decent job(those are hard to come by at 16) and can really do what I wanna do with it...
Hey man, it's funny you say that. I'm 16 too - I paid for the car myself. Hard work pays off, you know?
bought a Camaro
Unread 02-28-2009   #11 (permalink)
Mister Ed is offline Apprentice

V6 Member
S197 Member

Mister Ed's Country Flag  View Mister Ed's 5 photos
here   Arizona
Mister Ed is on a distinguished road

Woah, is the fighting necessary? come on now!
To OP: If the scratches aren't too bad, maybe some super fine wet sanding? And then buff most out with a polishing cloth? Not sure what those rims are made of but its worth a shot if it saves you the $$ from buying new rims. It looks like the scratch is deeper than the chrome plating though...hmm
Looks: GT Spoiler, White Racing Stripes, Sequential Taillights, GT500 Pedals & Dead Pedal, Window Tinting

Unread 02-28-2009   #12 (permalink)

Spring   Texas

I must say Im impressed, cept your still running a v6, which may explain why you got the whole front end done. its probably all anyone ever sees, must look great in my rearview...Now what mods did you say youve done to it??...
Unread 02-28-2009   #13 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Lexington   Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Woah, is the fighting necessary? come on now!
To OP: If the scratches aren't too bad, maybe some super fine wet sanding? And then buff most out with a polishing cloth? Not sure what those rims are made of but its worth a shot if it saves you the $$ from buying new rims. It looks like the scratch is deeper than the chrome plating though...hmm
Thanks for the information. The majority of the scratch is deeper than the chrome plating, unfortunately. The rims are a one-piece alloy, if that helps any.

MustDangRider: Check out my CarDomain. I doubt that I'd be in your rear view. Even if you do have the power to outrun me, it would only be a little while before you wrap it around a tree and I safely cruise on by you. I'm sure you have fun paying that insurance bill too.
bought a Camaro
Unread 02-28-2009   #14 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

New Castle   Indiana

HA,im pretty sure he is 16 too. and i bought mine when i was 16 also, no one asked for your criticism or you v6 bashing. and bragging about being a burger flipper isn't the best thing you could be doing. just let it die man, this is an informational forum, not a d!ck measuring competition.
Unread 02-28-2009   #15 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

New Castle   Indiana

dude honestly, 96 isnt the best year to be bragging about. iv beat many 95-97 gt's...im sure youd be just another one biting the dust. either way, no way to tell unless you decide to drive up to indiana and run em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164