Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang Talk Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 06-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
Vlad is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

Vlad's Country Flag  View Vlad's 11 photos
College Park   Maryland
Vlad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vlad
Default Reprogram Restraint Control Module Recall Procedure?

Hia guys and gals.

I got a letter from Ford saying I need to bring the car in for a recall service. The number and description is 08C02 - Reprogram Restraint Control Module. Here is the issue. I have a CAI and Tuner installed. Now normally I would install the stock intake back in and return the tune to stock, however, I will not be able to do that until I get back home to Maryland, at the end of summer. So do you think I can bring it in as it is now? Or should I just wait till I get back home. I don't want them to change the strategy code on my car and have my tunes not work because then I cannot drive my car.

Thanks for the help.
T-Lok, 3.73gears, Fitch Fuel Catalyst
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
sgtbigmac is offline Apprentice

sgtbigmac's Country Flag  View sgtbigmac's 11 photos
Maynard   Massachusetts
sgtbigmac is on a distinguished road

The correction that the dealer will make doesn't envolve the engine management system and won't change the strategy....(unless they load another program). Mention to them not to load a program and to just do the recall service and you'll be fine...that's what I did.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 06-23-2009   #3 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

College Park   Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbigmac View Post
The correction that the dealer will make doesn't envolve the engine management system and won't change the strategy....(unless they load another program). Mention to them not to load a program and to just do the recall service and you'll be fine...that's what I did.
Awesome thanks.
Unread 06-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
pikapp is offline GT Member

pikapp's Country Flag  View pikapp's 37 photos
Northern   Kentucky
pikapp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbigmac View Post
hmmm, I got somehwhat of a different response from my dealer. When I was asked if I wanted the recall to be taken care of during a seperate service appt, I told them I can't, the car has a dyno tune on it and the service rep said, yep we can't touch it then. Maybe I'll ask them again and specify your comment...not to load a program..
Unread 06-23-2009   #5 (permalink)
avery_012 is offline Made Member

avery_012's Country Flag  View avery_012's 41 photos
Fayetteville   North Carolina
avery_012 is on a distinguished road

Just load the stock tune back on, you can leave the CAI on there.
Unread 06-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
stlwagon is offline MODERATOR

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
hmmm, I got somehwhat of a different response from my dealer. When I was asked if I wanted the recall to be taken care of during a seperate service appt, I told them I can't, the car has a dyno tune on it and the service rep said, yep we can't touch it then. Maybe I'll ask them again and specify your comment...not to load a program..
That's b/s. They don't have to touch the PCM at all for an RCM issue.
Unread 06-23-2009   #7 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

College Park   Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery_012 View Post
I would not drive a car with a CAI on a stock tune.
Unread 06-23-2009   #8 (permalink)
stlwagon is offline MODERATOR

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I would not drive a car with a CAI on a stock tune.
Yeah, not a real good idea.
Unread 06-24-2009   #9 (permalink)
snake 42 is offline Made Member

S197 Member

snake 42's Country Flag  View snake 42's 4 photos
Bonham   Texas
snake 42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery_012 View Post
I tried doing that and my car will hardly run without the C&L tune in.
2006 Mustang GT Premium, convertible, automatic, tungsten grey/blk top, 18" chrome Bullit wheels, C&L cai, BBK tuned shorty headers, UPR off road X-pipe, OEM mufflers, 3.73 FRPP gears and Diablosport Predator C&L Racer 93 octane tune.
Unread 06-24-2009   #10 (permalink)
ski
ski is offline GT Member

S197 Member

ski's Country Flag
Northeast   Pennsylvania
ski is on a distinguished road

Even if the engine does run with the stock tune and a CAI, it can still get damaged.

To the OP,
Suggest also posting a sticky note by the OBD II port telling the service dept. not to upgrade the stock tune. Sometimes a communication breakdown can occur between the service order writer and the mechanics if you simply tell the former not to upgrade.
Unread 06-24-2009   #11 (permalink)
Snackmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
Even if the engine does run with the stock tune and a CAI, it can still get damaged.

To the OP,
Suggest also posting a sticky note by the OBD II port telling the service dept. not to upgrade the stock tune. Sometimes a communication breakdown can occur between the service order writer and the mechanics if you simply tell the former not to upgrade.

That is exactly what I did just to make sure everyone was in the loop. They assured me that the recall wouldn't affect the stock program at all BUT I wanted to make sure that they didn't accidentally re-flash with a newer program as they do make changes now and again. Just follow the advice above and you'll be fine.

Mine went without a hitch.

Unread 06-24-2009   #12 (permalink)
06hoss is offline Made Member

S197 Member

06hoss's Country Flag  View 06hoss's 26 photos
Erlanger   Kentucky
06hoss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
That is exactly what I did just to make sure everyone was in the loop. They assured me that the recall wouldn't affect the stock program at all BUT I wanted to make sure that they didn't accidentally re-flash with a newer program as they do make changes now and again. Just follow the advice above and you'll be fine.

Mine went without a hitch.

That's what I do everytime I have to take mine to Ford. I tell them verbally not to flash my computer and I put a sticky on the OBDII port saying "do not flash" I got the reminder again in the mail yesterday about the restraint software. I'm not taking any chances with them flashing the wrong thing. My car is running way to good for them to screw something up.
Unread 06-24-2009   #13 (permalink)

S197 Member

Erlanger   Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
That's b/s. They don't have to touch the PCM at all for an RCM issue.
Mark, I agree with you, but I'm thinking that maybe this particular dealership proably has a policy that they won't change any software on a car that has an altered tune on it. That way they don't have to worry about one of their techs screwing something up (flashing the wrong thing) and the car won't run right. My local Ford dealership is paranoid about a lot of stuff...I was told they could void my warranty (when I still had one) for long tubes...they even showed my a binder with pictures of things they could void the warranty and long tubes were in there. Illegal...yeah, but fighting it would have been unreal. They are just really paranoid. I think that's what this guy ran up against.
Unread 06-24-2009   #14 (permalink)
pikapp is offline GT Member

pikapp's Country Flag  View pikapp's 37 photos
Northern   Kentucky
pikapp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06hoss View Post
Mark, I agree with you, but I'm thinking that maybe this particular dealership proably has a policy that they won't change any software on a car that has an altered tune on it. That way they don't have to worry about one of their techs screwing something up (flashing the wrong thing) and the car won't run right. My local Ford dealership is paranoid about a lot of stuff...I was told they could void my warranty (when I still had one) for long tubes...they even showed my a binder with pictures of things they could void the warranty and long tubes were in there. Illegal...yeah, but fighting it would have been unreal. They are just really paranoid. I think that's what this guy ran up against.
Hey Dan. I too got another notice about not taking care of the recall yet. I'm gonna talk to Castrucci Ford again and question them directly as to if the PCM has to be re-flashed. As Mark mentioned, the PCM shouldnt have to be touched for this so maybe the service reps don't know exactly what takes place for this recall.

You hitting any of the upcoming car shows? Queen City Mustangs is this weekend and Tri-State Mustangs is weekend of 25 Jul.
Unread 06-24-2009   #15 (permalink)

S197 Member

Erlanger   Kentucky

Let me know how it goes Randy...I don't want them touching any software on my car...period. Airport Ford has some doofuses (is that a word?) working up there...I can see them screwing up and flashing something over top of my custom tune and then having to work it out with Modular Depot to fix it back. (Did you know that MD has moved to Florence?...I keep meaning to stop in and see the new shop).

No, I haven't hit any shows lately...I was going to go to Fillmore's for the weekly rod show yesterday, but I had too much to do.
We have to get together for the big one down in Carollton again in September though...lots of nice stangs at that one. I've attached a link to their newsletter if anyone is interested...see page 5. For those, not in the know, the get together is held in Carrolton, KY which is midway between Cincinnati, OH and Louisville, KY. They have tons of stangs there...I would say at least a hundred, not counting the stangs guys drive to the show.
http://derbycitymustangclub.com/forms/newsletter.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162