Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang Talk Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 04-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
BigDaddyDewy is offline Apprentice

BigDaddyDewy's Country Flag  View BigDaddyDewy's 3 photos
Shallotte   North Carolina
BigDaddyDewy is on a distinguished road
Default Ford Racing Hot Rod Performance Camshafts??

How much hp do these actually net? are they worth it?
1989 5.0 LX Coupe Flat Black Manual. (Current project #2)
1988 2.3 Turbo LX Hatchback Black Manual (Current Project)
2004 Mach 1 Torch Red Manual (SOLD)
Vette Slayer.
2006 GT Convertible Black Auto (Totaled & SOLD)
DD
1994 Cobra Black Auto (SOLD)
BUILT.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2010   #2 (permalink)
sqidd is offline Shelby Gt 350 member

S197 Member

sqidd's Country Flag  View sqidd's 101 photos  View sqidd's HomePage
South Eastern   Michigan
sqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyDewy View Post
How much hp do these actually net? are they worth it?

In my personal opinion any of the Comp “Thumper” cams or the FFRP “Hot Rod” cams are stupid and counterproductive. They were designed to give you a rough idle to mimic the sound of a “big” cam but they don’t have the performance level of a “big” cam. So what you ed up with is a cam that runs like crap down low ad doesn’t give much performance increase. I call them “fashion cams”. They are like taking a V-6 Mustang and doing a GT500 replica.

And if the cams don’t require a valvespring change then they are not worth the time and money. To justify spending the money on the cams they need to make some serious steam, there not cheap by the time you are done with labor. And a cam that can use the stock valvesprings is by definition a “small cam”.

Take a look at the Comp Cam XFI series VSR’s (Valve springs required). The 127100’s would be a great street cam with a good performance gain but without the downsides of a “Race cam”. Here is a link:

These are the specs stage 1 #127100:
214/227 @.50 duration, lift .480/.470, LSA 114

Here are the specs for the stock cams:
175/193 @.50 duration, lift .432/.435, LSA 117.25

As you can see even the stage 1 cams are a pretty big jump. They will get you 20+hp over 3500rpm ad have a nice rumble at idle. If you don’t understand what the specs mean PM me and I will walk you through it

Keep in mind the single largest mistake people make is to “Over cam” their car. When it comes to cams bigger is not better 99% of the time.

To take full advantage of the cams you will want your heads CNC’d. You don’t have to do it at the same time but keep it in mind for your next step.

2012 GT Vert Brembo, mostly stock

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 374rwhp/518rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 04-05-2010   #3 (permalink)
scord is offline Made Member

S197 Member

scord's Country Flag  View scord's 9 photos
San Jose   California
scord is on a distinguished road

I would not waste too much time buying cams and doing head work into the car unless you expect to spend more money than most and have less horsepower all for the benefit the telling those this simple yet powerful line....

I'm all motor.

These 3v 4.6L do not benefit from cams like you would find in a LS1 engine.
Unread 04-05-2010   #4 (permalink)
TheKurgan is offline Made Member

S197 Member

TheKurgan's Country Flag  View TheKurgan's 24 photos
Little Rock   Arkansas
TheKurgan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan

Try using the search function. There are probably more threads about hot rod cams than any other mustang thread on the internet.
Unread 04-05-2010   #5 (permalink)
jonballi is offline Made Member

S197 Member

jonballi's Country Flag  View jonballi's 10 photos
Dallas/Fort Worth   Texas
jonballi is on a distinguished road

My Ford hot rod "fashion" cams picked up 28 wrhp and 0 rwtq when I was normally aspirated. Same tuner, same dyno on the same day. I'm happy with them.
JBA Headers
472rhwp 435rwtq
Unread 04-05-2010   #6 (permalink)
MickMach is offline Top Dog

Classic Member
S197 Member

MickMach's Country Flag  View MickMach's 14 photos
Front Royal   Virginia
MickMach is on a distinguished road

I havent been on the dyno yet so I dont know how much HP I picked up. the reason I got them was because the install didnt cost me a dime. Now If I had to pay $600 plus to install them...that would be another story. and I must say they do sound good! Ihave a X pipe now but looking into a H. then Ill be set

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/C---7.201@97.75/11.61@118.62
Unread 04-06-2010   #7 (permalink)

S197 Member

South Eastern   Michigan
sqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonballi View Post
My Ford hot rod "fashion" cams picked up 28 wrhp and 0 rwtq when I was normally aspirated. Same tuner, same dyno on the same day. I'm happy with them.
Did you loose torque?

And you picked up 28rwhp because you are FI. A NA motor won't see anywhere near that.

I've seen the Comp VSR Stage II Blower Grind cams pick up 36hp on a FI car running 8psi and there were massive gains in the area under the curve. At 3,800rpm if had 51 more hp. The torque curve was flat as a pancake. I imagine it has massive traction issues.

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 374rwhp/518rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?
Unread 04-06-2010   #8 (permalink)

S197 Member

Little Rock   Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Did you loose torque?

And you picked up 28rwhp because you are FI. A NA motor won't see anywhere near that.

I've seen the Comp VSR Stage II Blower Grind cams pick up 36hp on a FI car running 8psi and there were massive gains in the area under the curve. At 3,800rpm if had 51 more hp. The torque curve was flat as a pancake. I imagine it has massive traction issues.
I picked up 48rwhp. I went from 280rwp to 328rwp. That was pre-delete plates and 2 degrees of timing pulled for a 100 shot. I didn't lose any torque down low either. It's all in the tune
Unread 04-06-2010   #9 (permalink)

S197 Member

South Eastern   Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
I picked up 48rwhp. I went from 280rwp to 328rwp. That was pre-delete plates and 2 degrees of timing pulled for a 100 shot. I didn't lose any torque down low either. It's all in the tune
I consider you to be a very experienced realist when it comes to hot rodding. You are one of the few people that I would ask advice. But without any other supporting mods that make for a perfectly balanced combination I find that extraordinary.

I’m assuming you have LT’s? They would certainly compliment the cams. What LT’s do you have? I wonder if you happened across a set with the ideal pipe diameter, collector design and primary tube length. As you know everything is combination, combination, combination.

I still think the Comp SPR cams offer more potential simply because they offer more cranking compression. With the right combination of course.

All that being said every combination has a cam that will get the most out of it. With enough data (header design info, boost if FI, intake runner length/flow, head port flow/velocity, etc, etc) a custom cam could be ground for each individual application and see massive gains. In reality over the counter cams are a “One size fits all” situation. A perfect example of this is the builds that are done for the Engine Masters Challenge (EMC). All of the front runners are using custom ground cams based on their combination ad while on the dyno will still mess with cam timing to get the most out of them. And the custom came route obviously pays off. The EMC motors for the most part are incredibly simple combinations but every last detail is perfectly complimentary and balanced and for the amount of trick stuff they are running they are throwing down some crazy high numbers.

On the flip side there are motors with the entire catalog thrown at them that don’t make nearly the power expected.

I would love to do a custom set of cams for my car based off of my combination opposed to springing for some one size fits all “close enough” ones.

Unread 04-06-2010   #10 (permalink)
redruder is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

redruder's Country Flag  View redruder's 268 photos
Oahu   Hawaii
redruder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Was that before spraying. I was thinking 127500's the comp site claims biggest cams for unported heads with good drivability. The site alos showed the dyno chart with no bottom end loss and around a 48 hp gain on top. They show the dyno charts for all there cams and that was the best performer they had. I know each of our cars will act differently to the same mod, so anything is possible. That just doesn't seem like a good bang for the buck. They rock with FI though.
Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Unread 04-06-2010   #11 (permalink)

S197 Member

Little Rock   Arkansas

Quote:
I consider you to be a very experienced realist when it comes to hot rodding. You are one of the few people that I would ask advice. But without any other supporting mods that make for a perfectly balanced combination I find that extraordinary.

I’m assuming you have LT’s? They would certainly compliment the cams. What LT’s do you have? I wonder if you happened across a set with the ideal pipe diameter, collector design and primary tube length. As you know everything is combination, combination, combination.

I still think the Comp SPR cams offer more potential simply because they offer more cranking compression. With the right combination of course.
I have 1 5/8 Kooks, but I do not believe they added more than 5 HP of that gain. I have a buddy with exact same mods as me minus the cams and he was down around 305whp(and he had delete plates too). Now he has FRPP cams and is at the same HP. I was a firm believer in LT's until that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redruder View Post
Was that before spraying. I was thinking 127500's the comp site claims biggest cams for unported heads with good drivability. The site alos showed the dyno chart with no bottom end loss and around a 48 hp gain on top. They show the dyno charts for all there cams and that was the best performer they had. I know each of our cars will act differently to the same mod, so anything is possible. That just doesn't seem like a good bang for the buck. They rock with FI though.
It was with no nitrous. With a 100 wet shot and low bottle pressure I put down 410rwhp.

I'm not saying they are the best cams out there, but they were the best for me.
Unread 04-06-2010   #12 (permalink)
redruder is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

redruder's Country Flag  View redruder's 268 photos
Oahu   Hawaii
redruder is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm not saying they are the best cams out there, but they were the best for me.
Bottom line, that's what really matters. Still trying to figure out what I really want with my car. Only run it at the strip on occasion, and then on test and tune night for the enjoyment of opening it up legally. I do like the oldschool sound. Not sure how much show as compared to go that I want.
Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Unread 04-06-2010   #13 (permalink)
2008VistaBlueGT is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

2008VistaBlueGT's Country Flag
Oakville   Ontario
2008VistaBlueGT is on a distinguished road

Agreed, really depends on what your goals are for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redruder View Post
Bottom line, that's what really matters. Still trying to figure out what I really want with my car. Only run it at the strip on occasion, and then on test and tune night for the enjoyment of opening it up legally. I do like the oldschool sound. Not sure how much show as compared to go that I want.
2008 Vista Blue Mustang GT Coupe, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, FRPP 4.10s, Eiback Pro Lowering Kit, Steeda UDP, Steeda CMDP, Steeda CAI with 94 Octane Custom Dyno Tune, Kooks LT headers with H-pipe, Solo Performance Axleback Exhaust, 20" Foose Nitrous Legend wrapped with Falken FK-452.
Unread 04-06-2010   #14 (permalink)
jonballi is offline Made Member

S197 Member

jonballi's Country Flag  View jonballi's 10 photos
Dallas/Fort Worth   Texas
jonballi is on a distinguished road

Hey Jason...I think you mean "lose".

No I did not lose torque. The dyno showed no gain or loss in TQ. Also if you read in my post, the 28 rwhp was when I was N/A.

Quote:
Did you loose torque?

JBA Headers
472rhwp 435rwtq
Unread 04-06-2010   #15 (permalink)
markstoys1 is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member
S197 Member

markstoys1's Country Flag  View markstoys1's 8 photos
Warwick   Rhode Island
markstoys1 is on a distinguished road

I went with the Hot Rod Cams, which did not impress me untill I had them dialed in better with a custom tune. I gained 19HP on the dyno and lost no torque. While it was not a big HP gain what I saw was lasting HP through the RPM curve. Stock cams started loosing HP at 5300RPM With the HR cams it didn't start to drop off until 6600 RPM. It is making 320HP with the cams, delete plates, and a CAI, High flow cats and X pipe. They have hit almost 350 HP on a car like mine but with long tube headers.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164