Stick or automatic?

• Stick

Votes: 114 65.5%
  • Automatic

Votes: 60 34.5%

Stick or Automatic?

21K views 122 replies 85 participants last post by  Herb07GT 
#1 ·
I'm always cruising the classifieds and internet in my area looking at used Stangs and it blows my mind how many are automatic in my area. Nothing wrong with that, just surprised that auto's outnumber sticks about 10 to 1 around here. I would think that on a car like the Mustang it would be the other way around.

What is yours.....stick or auto?

#2 ·
Stick for me cause it makes me feel more connected to the road as well as the car. Not hating on the auto but it seems to make people more lazy of drivers and more careless and aware when it comes to driving it

#17 ·
When asked, I always tell people I don't know how to drive an automatic. :)
perfect, I love it!

for me half the fun of driving this car is shifting the gears

however if I wanted a drag car it would be an automatic

#4 ·
automatic, prob because im a noob with a stick, and I like fast food

#7 ·
I have an auto due to long commutes and bad knees. Not lazy and not because I don't like to DRIVE. The 90 GT I had was a stick and it about killed me after only 15 miles or so in heavy stop and go traffic. I haven't driven anything new with a stick maybe technology has made it not so bad. I would like to get the TCI shifter so I could shift some when I get the notion to play a little.

#9 ·
You see alot of autos in the classifieds probably because all the manuals have been bought. There's nothing like crackin gears with a good exhaust system. Not to mention the gurgling rumble while it's backing down coming to a stop.

#10 ·
Gotta be a stick why have a muscle car with an auto,besides the side benefit is my wife can't drive a stick this way she never touches my car. :gringreen

#36 ·
Gotta be a stick why have a muscle car with an auto,besides the side benefit is my wife can't drive a stick this way she never touches my car. :gringreen

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And I thought I was the only one :shigrin

I really enjoy the manual shift in my Mustang. I feel more connected. However, if I had more stop and go traffic I would have gone automatic.

#11 ·
I vote for one of each.

If I could have only one, and it wasn't a track car, it would be automatic: fast on the drag strip and easy in traffic. Plus which, with practice you can make it work for you almost as well as a good stick.

Reactions: Howelldaddy
#12 ·
Stick :bigthumbsup When I first bought my 'Stang it was my daily driver, driving 75+ miles a day mostly highway/interstate and maybe less than 1/4 city. It's not a daily driver anymore and I love cruising through the twisties and rowing through the gears. Autos never shift when I want them to which frustrates me, but if you're driving a lot of city miles in stop and go traffic they make it easier. That is why there is both, because one tranny doesn't fit all :winks

#13 ·
Mine is a custom setup but was only offered as a stick to begin with. That was fine with me. My last '06 GT was an auto that I set up for drag racing so the auto was good for consistancy not so much for twisty roads though.

#14 ·
It wouldn't be the same car with an auto. A stick is always more fun to drive, I don't even mind it in traffic.

Frank

#15 ·
Im 6'6" and have size 15 feet:gringreen I have different reasons for having a Auto. Having such long legs and big feet makes it hard to clutch it especially when the room is tight. My big feet are hard to manuver under the dash and also my knee on my clutch leg hits the steering wheel when trying to shift, or my big foot hits the brake pedal along with the clutch at the same time.
So I have an Auto, I do however have a standard in my old Ford F150 4X4, bought that new in 1990 and Im still driving it, lots of room in the Cab for shifting.
I can understand how some prefer a Standard, but with the right set up a Auto will out do a Standard, just smash the gas and let the computer do the fast firm shifts:bigthumbsup

#23 ·
Im 6'6" and have size 15 feet:gringreen
If we put together an AFM basketball team, you're on it. haha. I hear ya on the leg room. If someone has to sit behind me, It's gonna be a short trip.

#16 ·
The 'traffic' wildcard totally makes sense for an automatic. Here in NE Wisco I don't deal with a lot of stop and go traffic and I can only imagine it's a nightmare with a manual.

I'm lucky enough that a rolling stop is about the closest I come to a complete stop no matter where I'm going.

#18 ·
The 'traffic' wildcard totally makes sense for an automatic. ....
Not for me. Being from New Jersey I've always driven in "traffic" and I've always driven a vehicle with a manual transmission. Arthritis in my left knee and all I still have / prefer a manual transmission....

Besides automatics are WAY too difficult to master...

#42 ·
I know several girls you just made upset...LOL

My vote is for auto....only due to a neck surgery and 2 back surgeries.

Reactions: Atalanta
#20 ·
Stick!! both in our Stang and my BMW 330ci. But believe me, I do understand why some people prefer or have to drive an automatic so I don't razz them. But the stick makes me feel more connected to the road. Enjoy regardless which you have!!!

#21 ·
Traffic here in the Chicago area is absolutely brutal, and we have some of the worst roads and expressways in the country. I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it would be driving stick around here.

So, I have an auto because my Mustang is my daily driver. Just too much traffic around here for a stick to be fun. If I lived out in the country I might feel differently.

#22 ·
Stick all the way!!!!!!
i love when i drive because i feel one with the car and it's fun to run through the gears

#24 ·
My wife said that I can buy a mustang as long as its an automatic so she can also drive it! I said if that is all it takes to get the mustang purchase approved consider it done!

I will say that 90% I am happy with the auto and don't mind, but if it would have been just my car I would have got the stick.

#25 ·
I like my auto for daily driving, but I would love to have a stick eventually. Manual trans will always be better and more fun lol

#26 ·
Stick all the way.. I wouldn't mind an auto.. But manual is so much more fun :)

#27 ·
If I was road racing... stick all the way. For a pleasure vehicle for cruising... give me the auto. I've had my share of both...I do miss having a manual "at times"... but those times are like the 90/10 exception rule. This is the first Auto I have ever owned with a "tune"...and I must say with the adjusted trans shift points, I don't think a manual driver can outshift a computer (at least I couldn't) :)

#29 ·
Wanted a manual but the 06' I bought used came in auto. I didnt mind the auto as I just wanted to get into the car & I figured with it being an 06' I could do a manual conversion after I paid off the car. I got a tune from brenspeed though and now Im not sure if Im going to do the conversion. My girl has been giving me crap though because she drives a 11' Camaro which is manual. She, like a few others have stated, said she doesnt know how to drive an auto, lol. I thought it was funny when I read some of you say that because she said the same thing to me like a week ago. :hihi:

#30 ·
It's always disappointing to see a nicely modded stang and then see that it's an automatic. There is nothing wrong with them, and I understand the preference that people have over a manual car. But as an enthusiast, especially one that enjoys the feeling of completely connecting with the car, it's always brings up the urge to express to them how much they are missing out on by not driving a MT.

#31 ·
I've got an auto. When I was looking for a mustang, I had my mind set on getting a manual. All in all, I'm satisfied with the auto. The tune helps - it still has manners under regular driving, but if you give it the oats, it really livens up and shifts FAST.

Sometimes I'd still prefer to have a manual - because slamming through your own gears is pretty fun. But also because I get tired of "car guys" giving me grief over having an automatic mustang lol.

It's funny - you never see automatic guys telling the manual guys, "What? Auto is the way to go - it's the only way to go in a performance car, the shifting is so smooth and fast, all you have to do is concentrate on the gas, the brake, and that next corner, etc etc etc".
But so often you get the manual guys going "WHAT?! Manual is the only way to go in a performance car, because no computer can decide for me when I want to shift gears, and I can shift as fast and accurate as any auto, and I feel more connected to the road and to me it's all about the experience, etc etc".

Not aiming at anyone in particular, but I'm sure you all know what I mean lol.

Someone once asked me about my car, and said "Is it a standard or automatic?" My response? "uh.. how can I tell"? :grinroll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.