Car Washing Wax and Polish - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
Brianwu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Edison
Posts: 699
 
Car Washing Wax and Polish

Now that it's colder and almost winter in the Northeast, I've started bringing my car to a 100% brushless carwash instead of handwashing. I've always applied wax after my washes when I do it myself. But at this carwash, the package with wax contains: a basic wash, wax, and wax polish. From what I've heard, isn't polish bad especially when used excessively? I plan on getting this done once a week. But I've never heard of a "wax" polish. Do you guys think this will be too abrasive? I'm thinking maybe I should just get a basic wash and hand wax the car myself in fear that the wax polish does more harm than good. Any thoughts?

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Brianwu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012
Rookie
 
_MustangMan_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: FRANKLIN
Posts: 23
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwu View Post
Now that it's colder and almost winter in the Northeast, I've started bringing my car to a 100% brushless carwash instead of handwashing. I've always applied wax after my washes when I do it myself. But at this carwash, the package with wax contains: a basic wash, wax, and wax polish. From what I've heard, isn't polish bad especially when used excessively? I plan on getting this done once a week. But I've never heard of a "wax" polish. Do you guys think this will be too abrasive? I'm thinking maybe I should just get a basic wash and hand wax the car myself in fear that the wax polish does more harm than good. Any thoughts?
id go with the basic hand wash and wax
_MustangMan_ is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012
Banned
 
hammerdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Sierra Vista
Posts: 1,104
 
It's winter time.. What is your Mustang doing out of its cave at this time of year anyway? That's what old junker $700.00 Hondas are for. Mustangs - like bears - need to hibernate in the winter months to survive. Get ya the cheap throw away beater. Give the Mustang a nice claybar and wax, put it under a car cover, put the battery tender on it, drain the gas tank and leave it until May.

-HD
hammerdown is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
 
Quan Cheese's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Chester County
Posts: 1,956
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
It's winter time.. What is your Mustang doing out of its cave at this time of year anyway? That's what old junker $700.00 Hondas are for. Mustangs - like bears - need to hibernate in the winter months to survive. Get ya the cheap throw away beater. Give the Mustang a nice claybar and wax, put it under a car cover, put the battery tender on it, drain the gas tank and leave it until May.

-HD
Lol mustangs run best in the cold. More poweerrrrrrrr!!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2004 Mustang GT- 100 Shot NX, BBK cold air intake, Steeda Pulleys, UPR Catted X-Pipe, SLP LM1s, Brenspeed tuned. Many more to come
Quan Cheese is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
Brianwu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Edison
Posts: 699
 
Hahaha unfortunately for me, I got rid of my junky Honda for this daily driver

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Brianwu is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
SheizaSoSay
Guest
 
SheizaSoSay's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Claybar is the shizzznitz! Followed by a good carnuba wax like Mothers. Get busy Daniel son!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
JBert's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Douglas
Posts: 4,585
 
I am not sure exactly what that stuff is that they spray on the car at the car wash . . . but always figured that some sort of protective coating, be it "wax" or "polish" or whatever, was better than nothing on the car in the winter.

I think you are hearing that too much polish is bad because normally polishing involves rubbing which is removing a little bit of paint, so if you do it too many times, all the paint will be gone. But if you are talking about a "spray on polish" (which seems like an oxymoron, but nevermind) then I don't think there is any issue.

The "no touch" car washes don't do a very good job, but they are better than nothing.

If you can get away with it, take your own bucket and micro fiber mit to the self-service car wash ; use the hose to soap down and rinse the car ; carefully wash with mit like you would at home; then rinse it and apply the "wax" if you want. Obviously you cannot hand wash if there are people waiting in line behind you, but if you go at times when they are not busy you can pull it off.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
JBert is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
Brianwu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Edison
Posts: 699
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I am not sure exactly what that stuff is that they spray on the car at the car wash . . . but always figured that some sort of protective coating, be it "wax" or "polish" or whatever, was better than nothing on the car in the winter.

I think you are hearing that too much polish is bad because normally polishing involves rubbing which is removing a little bit of paint, so if you do it too many times, all the paint will be gone. But if you are talking about a "spray on polish" (which seems like an oxymoron, but nevermind) then I don't think there is any issue.

The "no touch" car washes don't do a very good job, but they are better than nothing.

If you can get away with it, take your own bucket and micro fiber mit to the self-service car wash ; use the hose to soap down and rinse the car ; carefully wash with mit like you would at home; then rinse it and apply the "wax" if you want. Obviously you cannot hand wash if there are people waiting in line behind you, but if you go at times when they are not busy you can pull it off.
Yeah I believe it's a spray on polish. The car wash is brushless but I am not sure at what stage the polish is applied. It could be in the middle while there are still the spinning cleaner things coming and the polish is buffed on so I'm scared it will still be abrasive. I see a lot of people saying polish 2x a year. So I think ill polish every fall and spring, hand wash in the summer, and in the winter just get a basic wash and hand apply wax in the parking lot.

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Brianwu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183