Ford Mustang Forum banner

Removing front sway bar for drag racing????

14K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Norm Peterson 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Mustang Gt and go to the dragstrip often and have heard that removing your front swaybar helps with time. Is it worth it to remove it?? Thanks

#4 ·
Since you go to the drag strip often, I would definitely recommend it. It definitely improves traction, but on your 2007 there is an additional benefit... If you're not running a front swaybar, you can install this swaybar delete kit which drops a lot of weight off the front end.

2005-2012 Ford Mustang Sway Bar Eliminator - UPR Products

We're running this setup on our 2010 GT and the car still corners pretty well on its 18" street tires... it also runs 9s in the quarter mile! :cooldude:

#5 ·
Just remove it. You will not notice a difference with the sway bar removed. Big and littles on the street here and no change. What Sharad posted is true. You will be surprised on the huge chunk of weight loss of the stock piece.

#7 ·
Just remove it. You will not notice a difference with the sway bar removed. Big and littles on the street here and no change.
A fortunate combination not only for the dragstrip, but also for the easy dry-weather street driving that a mainly dragstrip car should stick to. It won't like to take corners very hard, but at least it'll be somewhat less likely to turn and bite if you get a bit careless.

In this very specific case, the understeer added by "big and littles" is trying to compensate for the oversteer that is risked by removing the front bar - a very good thing here. Front tires that aren't very happy about turning corners will do their best to keep the car from getting too tail-happy and will discourage you from cornering very hard in the first place.

Norm

#8 ·
I have not run a front swaybar in a couple of years. Even with running a whiteline rear swaybar the car is not loose cornering. These cars are nose heavy anyway. Drives perfectly fine on the street.

#9 ·
Nose heavy doesn't matter too much when most of the roll stiffness is at the rear axle, certainly not by enough to dominate. Most everything that deals with handling doesn't matter at all as long as your cornering remains mild enough.

Norm

#10 ·
as long as your cornering remains mild enough.

There's the operative words. I don't think the OP intends to road race as well as drag race. I too heard horror stories about what would happen on the street if I removed the front sway bar - truth is, there has been no ill effects. Snap highway lane changes at over 100 mph have presented no problems. Of course, I don't drive around everyday on city streets like Steve McQueen chasing the bad guys either.

#12 ·
I use it on my occasional visits to the strip. I do not go WOT on the street, its just too powerful for street tires. With the converter it will flash right into the torque band from a dead stop and instantly 600+ lbs of torque will hit the tires. It will even spin M/T's at the line (and I have even spun rims inside the Mickey's at the track when there is good prep). Plus I like to run race gas if I am really going to push it (just to be safe). I do daily drive this car rain, snow or shine. However, if a fartcan ricer or Camaro jockey wants to play on the highway, I may drop it out of OD and show them what it can do (if no cops are around). She'll go from 60 to 100 in a blink of an eye. Sometimes I also do solo runs on a 1.5 mile long bridge near where I live, go to about 3/4 throttle quickly to kick in the boost and just hang on - its like riding in a jet fighter lol. Seriously, one day I was cruising onto that bridge at around 80, and a state trooper in a new unmarked Charger caught up to me. I slowed down, he pulled along side and smiled, and I could read his lips as he said lets go. So I blew him away. I was at 120 and it was still pulling like a freight train when I let off. He then pulled up alongside again and was shaking his head laughing, and took off. Most of the time I just drive normally though, and its good to know the power is just lurking there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.