Painting K&N Air Tube - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Painting K&N Air Tube

I just finished installing the Midwest Autogear plenum and fuel rail covers done in body color. I am getting a K&N Aircharger and would like to paint the air tube body color. However, it is
polyethylene plastic which is one of the most difficult plastics to paint. From what I have been able to find it seems that Bulldog
Adhesion Promoter might do the trick.

Anyone have a painted K&N air tube? Any problems?

Anyone ever use Bulldog Adhesion Promoter?

Thanks

06 Windveil Blue GT Premium, Light Grey Leather, Side Air Bags, Active Alarm, IUP, Automatic. All of the MGW Chrome Pieces. 20" Polished Antenna. Midwest Auto Plenum, Fuel Rail, Radiator and Fuse Box Covers in Body Color. Midwest side mirror inserts. MRT Hood Struts. C&L CAI, Predator 93 Octane Tune. Various Chrome Caps in Engine Bay. MRT Exhaust Tips. GT 500 Style Rear Spoiler. CDC Classic Chin Spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Not yet, I am considerng the same thing, for I already have the K&N CAI, but I am interested in painting the tube as well. Do let us know what you find.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
Not yet, I am considerng the same thing, for I already have the K&N CAI, but I am interested in painting the tube as well. Do let us know what you find.
Yesterday I e-mailed the company that makes the adhesion promoter but haven't heard back from them. I have seen enough
"it works" in other non-Mustang forums to make me want to give it a try. It will be after Christmas because the Air Charger is a Christmas gift from the wife and it's one of those "You can't open it until Christmas" deals. I asked if i could paint it before she wrapped it but got a "NO!". But I'm thankful she likes getting me things for the Mustang.

I will definitely report on how it goes if I paint it.

06 Windveil Blue GT Premium, Light Grey Leather, Side Air Bags, Active Alarm, IUP, Automatic. All of the MGW Chrome Pieces. 20" Polished Antenna. Midwest Auto Plenum, Fuel Rail, Radiator and Fuse Box Covers in Body Color. Midwest side mirror inserts. MRT Hood Struts. C&L CAI, Predator 93 Octane Tune. Various Chrome Caps in Engine Bay. MRT Exhaust Tips. GT 500 Style Rear Spoiler. CDC Classic Chin Spoiler.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I have used a few gallons of BullDog adhesion promoter and you can trust me as I know it works...its a great product! I painted my JLT intake body color...I didnt use Bulldog cause I have since switched jobs and didnt have it...I just used Duponts 222 adhesion promoter and a sealer. it looks like it did 10 months ago you'll be ok.

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMach
I have used a few gallons of BullDog adhesion promoter and you can trust me as I know it works...its a great product! I painted my JLT intake body color...I didnt use Bulldog cause I have since switched jobs and didnt have it...I just used Duponts 222 adhesion promoter and a sealer. it looks like it did 10 months ago you'll be ok.
Thanks. I am going to give it a try. I plan to use the Bulldog, a base coat and clear coat. Is the sealer you used something different than a clear coat?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwwest
Thanks. I am going to give it a try. I plan to use the Bulldog, a base coat and clear coat. Is the sealer you used something different than a clear coat?
no sir.. My JLT came black and it would have taken several coats of white to cover it. I used a white sealer to get it covered then basecoat follwed by a clearcoat.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I am kinda of ignorant to this but i know that on intakes plastic ones are the best because they dont eat up and stay cooler then Alum. So would painting it effect the temp of the AIR at all. Some thing you mind want to check out. If it doesnt let me know I am thinking of painting my procharger plastic tube.

PROCHARGER P1SC<WHIPPLE 3.4L
5.0 Stroker Built and Blown
"DEVISTATOR"
Check out my build thread in 2005+ Talk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

im sure painting it would have some effect on it but probably nothing noticable. whats a couple degrees????

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I just talked to my mechanic as well about the painting and he said he would accually help it due to insulation. so painting your CAI would be the way to go...now i know what im doing to mine...

"DEVISTATOR"
Apprentice
S197 Member

I had mine painted by the local Ford dealership. Not sure just what they did, but my son has it now and it is still perfect. One thing I would suggest is that you sand the tube first. If it was smooth it would look alot better. If you don't sand it don't take the K&N sticker off because it is smooth under it and it will look bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Install 006.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	21784  

2006 GT Premium, Vert, Auto, Legend Lime/Parchment, Parchment Top, CDC light bar, chrome taillight bezels, interior and engine billit, Hireman flamed plenum and grille pony, seq tail lights, JLT CAI, CDC Classic chin spoiler, SCT2 93 tune, Redline hood lift elite, 18" Chrome bullits on Yoko's, Pony flag Head Rest Embroidery,California Dream Hood, Flowmasters.
2007 Shelby GT 500. Red vert black top.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

ooo yeah of course do a sand and primer before the paint. Thats how i did my mirrors. That makes the biggest differnce is painted mirrors too...

"DEVISTATOR"
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyman
I had mine painted by the local Ford dealership. Not sure just what they did, but my son has it now and it is still perfect. One thing I would suggest is that you sand the tube first. If it was smooth it would look alot better. If you don't sand it don't take the K&N sticker off because it is smooth under it and it will look bad.
Hey sandyman,
Who makes the hose dress up you used under the hood? I haven't seen anything like it. thx

2005 GT coupe
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Just out of curiosity, how hot does the air tube get?
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I know that the alum air tubes tend to over heat and are not that good if you want to drag race alot. I was talking to some one with a C&L at the track and he loved it but when he is hot laped he has to contintently put a rag out of the ice box over it to keep it cool. Not sure how much that helps but im sure its better then nothing. Were plastic should release more of the heat faster and sense it is not as dense i think it should be put it wont absorb alot of the heat too. I think carbon is also a great material that stays cooler then plastic which Tunable Induction makes a great carbon intake. For daily driving i wouldnt worry about either of them just get one that you think looks cool or can get a good deal on. They are all pretty good products unless you get it from pep boys or some island store at the mall

"DEVISTATOR"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page