Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2005-2010 Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang Talk Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 03-19-2007   #16 (permalink)
Black Thunder is offline Rookie

Black Thunder's Country Flag  View Black Thunder's 8 photos
Cheshire UK
Black Thunder is on a distinguished road

I Have A 2005 Gt V8 Convertible Which Has Been Converted To Rhd And With The Top Down Its The Dogs B**l**ks The Wind In Your Hair Is The Best Thing Going And When The Top Up She Is Fine No Leaks And We Have Had Some Bad Weather Recently So Go For It These Guys In The State Have It To Good With The Weather We Snatch The Sunshine When We Can Here In Europe,hey Its Rains A Lot In Manchester You Know And We Have The Highest Sales In Convertible Cars In The Northwest.as To Security Well You Should Just Careful Where You Leave It There Are A Lot Of Jealous People Out Their.....................good Luck
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2007   #17 (permalink)
Warlock is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

Warlock's Country Flag
San Antonio   Texas
Warlock is on a distinguished road
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkjock View Post
have mine a year.... only once in the rain.... so far no issues. I've read the windshield frame will support the weight of the car
I dont know where I saw it, but one the the Mustang web sites showed a picture of a convertible GT which ran off the road running like 10 miles an hour and the right side of the car climbed a phone pole cable support.

It turned the car over and the windshield went compleatly flat! Only the tops of the seats were just enough to keep the car off the top of the doors and trunk. The driver was able to duck down some how and kept his head.

Im sure other's saw this picture too, forget about the windshield saving you from a roll over.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-19-2007   #18 (permalink)
06 Slvr Bullitt is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

06 Slvr Bullitt's Country Flag  View 06 Slvr Bullitt's 63 photos  View 06 Slvr Bullitt's HomePage
Lexington   South Carolina
06 Slvr Bullitt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Cavalry View Post
What sort of variations do people in the States offer on sunroof conversions? Is there a mustang site dedicated to these sort of "weird" modifications??

Thanks.:eyepoppin
Those T-Top renderings look sharp but I haven't seen anyone put that into production for the new Mustangs yet. As far as sunroofs are concerned the only ones I've seen available for the Mustangs are the traditional styles which include the inbuilt (http://www.inalfasunroofs.com/inbuilts.html) and the spoiler style (http://www.webastoshowroom.com/ford_...2005_311L.htm). When I inquired with my sunroof shop last year, I was quoted about $950 installed for the spoiler type. No one in my state would do an inbuilt (a little more involved in installing from what I understand). I found a company in a neighboring state that would do the inbuilt for me, but they would charge me $2000 in addition to the cost of the sunroof as this would be their first time installing an in-built sunroof despite the fact they are listed as a certified installer. You could probably buy the sunroof for about $400 - $500 and if you're mechanically and engineerly inclined installed the sunroof yourself provided you have a strong enough gut (and steady hand) to cut a hole in your roof. I read about other people doing it (with the assist of another person) and getting everything finished up in about a weekend.
Unread 03-19-2007   #19 (permalink)
06 Slvr Bullitt is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

06 Slvr Bullitt's Country Flag  View 06 Slvr Bullitt's 63 photos  View 06 Slvr Bullitt's HomePage
Lexington   South Carolina
06 Slvr Bullitt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleblack View Post
There are at least 2 companies selling T-Top kits for 99-04 Mustangs. I've seen one.

Mustangs in the 70's and 80's were ocassionally available from the factory with T-tops, though they are rare.
I was involved in the tuner world for quite a while so I wasn't away of T-Tops being available for the last generation Mustang...however I have seen T-Tops installed on tuner cars from Cavaliers to Civics. Heck, there was one guy who actually put/converted to gullwing type doors on his Cavalier...I'm not saying it looked good either.
Unread 03-19-2007   #20 (permalink)
tripleblack is offline Top Dog

4.6L Member

tripleblack's Country Flag  View tripleblack's 48 photos
Atlanta   Georgia
tripleblack is on a distinguished road
Default Top links

OK, I'll pull out some old notes and add some links to check out...

Here's one to a company that makes a hardtop for mustang convertibles (similar idea to the old Tbirds and mercedes):

Smooth Line Custom Removable Hardtops

Also JMS was offering a nice Targa convertion kit, but I just checked their site, and it is down, so I'll not post a sour link (maybe tomorrow if its up again). (This is the car I saw - not a t-top, sorry).

Ford quit offering factory T-Top options in 1988. Prior to that it was often available with the GT's. They were unpopulat after the demise of the Mustang II's, and died out from lack of interest (and massive problems with body twist and leaks, which might be a cautionary note to those planning a custom effort).

I can't find the other company right now that had a T-Top I had read about - will continue to look.

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
Unread 03-20-2007   #21 (permalink)
Chrome Cavalry is offline Apprentice

Classic Member
S197 Member

Chrome Cavalry's Country Flag
Dublin Ireland
Chrome Cavalry is on a distinguished road

thanks triple, that would be great.

I think the T-Top is a great look, for me its more than a compromise, its actually better than the full convertible, looks great and is functional.

It would be great if you found that site!

Ps....what are the mechanics of getting a T-Top made? Could a custom styler/tuner get it done for you as a one-off??

thanks again
Unread 03-20-2007   #22 (permalink)
xxxxxxxxVintageV8 is offline PONY Member

S197 Member

xxxxxxxxVintageV8's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida
xxxxxxxxVintageV8 is on a distinguished road

A convertible versus a hardtop. There are advantages and disadvantages, but remember one thing - EVERYTHING has a cost. A coupe may be cheaper than a convertible, a coupe might be safer than a convertible, a sunroof is nice, but it is not a convertible, if a theif wants in a car - hardtop or convertible they will get in. Yes, open the door and you get water off the roof - not sure this does not also happen with a coupe without rain guards. The decision for me - get a convertible the interior headroom was more. I am in Tampa and we have rain in the summer, but there are also those great days. The A/C works great on a very hot day with the top up.
As with anything, it is a personal decision. I will say, the car - coupe or convertible is problem free, good looking and fast. I wonder what they are going to do for 2008? And finally, the pictures of the "T-Top" looked good, liked that..
Unread 03-20-2007   #23 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Atlanta   Georgia
Default Targa

The Targa option is a valid idea. I believe they swapin a few bits from the Convertible (around the windshield), cut the roof off back of the seats leaving the rear quarter panels and windows alone. Then they sell you a section that snaps into the gap when you need to be weather tight. Unique look, and preserves about half the unibody rigidity you need (if you're smart, you add big subframe connectors and a strut tower brace at the same time).

I found a T-Top company that USED to do Mustangs (they still list Mustangs on their information), but their site has no information about their Mustang work, just Nissan and GM. I fear my information might be stale - T-Tops are quite rare over here now, other than older GM products (and the last gen 300ZX cars).

The company that has been selling the Targa top kits may be in trouble, too (their web site is still down). I'll post it here later anyway, with a note that it might re-open.

T-top install would be fairly routine for a master fabricator, though I think it would be wise to purchase a GM kit (probably for a camaro) to modify to fit a Mustang. The key would be the glass panels, which would be pricey to reinvent. In all likelihood their curvature would be similar to a Mustang, but not a perfect match (thinking back, NONE of the T-tops were ever a "perfect match"). Lots of cutting and welding is involved, and the car will definitely gain weight from all the bracing needed to preserve unibody integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Cavalry View Post
thanks triple, that would be great.

I think the T-Top is a great look, for me its more than a compromise, its actually better than the full convertible, looks great and is functional.

It would be great if you found that site!

Ps....what are the mechanics of getting a T-Top made? Could a custom styler/tuner get it done for you as a one-off??

thanks again

Unread 03-20-2007   #24 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Atlanta   Georgia
Default Update

The site for the company making the targa kit is:

www.jmsproductsinc.com

As I said, its currently down.

This link is to a Mustang with a targa top kit installed:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/pp-cl...p/product/4779

More later.

Unread 03-20-2007   #25 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Atlanta   Georgia
Default T-Tops

This company specializes in T-Tops, and has a contact page link here:

http://www.t-topsonline.com/order.htm

They list "mustang" in their search criteria (but don't show any samples on their rather small site).

I have seen their labels on show cars (a Turbo Grand National, as I recall).

The search continues...

Unread 03-20-2007   #26 (permalink)
rcm
rcm is offline Apprentice

rcm's Country Flag  View rcm's 18 photos
Sunapee   New Hampshire
rcm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMyStang View Post
Funny thing is parking a vert with the top down actually keeps thieves away. Maybe think you will be right back or something.
Twice I had a coupe (non mustang) broken into in my drive way, it was all locked up with an alarm, while my vert (non mustang) sat right next to it, no alarm, not locked, and un touched. Go figure. A locked car means you will be gone for a while, and unlocked car indicates you better be able to run faster then 850 feet per second.
+1 on the 850 per second.

I have owned few verts and t-tops. Knock on wood no one has broken in. Rain happens, I drove this car home when I bought w/o a hitch in the rain. Suprizingly tight.

As far as turning it upside down, that is a problem in a soft top. I'm going to look in to a real rollbar.

2005 Triple Black GT Vert.
Unread 03-20-2007   #27 (permalink)
Chrome Cavalry is offline Apprentice

Classic Member
S197 Member

Chrome Cavalry's Country Flag
Dublin Ireland
Chrome Cavalry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleblack View Post
The site for the company making the targa kit is:

www.jmsproductsinc.com

As I said, its currently down.

This link is to a Mustang with a targa top kit installed:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/pp-cl...p/product/4779

More later.
Ok man thanks for your sterling effort. I'd love to have a t-top 2005+ Mustang, that would be unique, no?:hihi:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172