Ford Mustang Forum banner

06 mustang clutch wont disengage help!

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  lookoutas 
#1 ·
I have an 06 mustang and the clutch wont disengage and I'm wondering 2 things, first if that closes off any option of clutchless shifting, and second it's a stock clutch why won't it disengage? I probably shouldn't be tryna hotrod a stock v6 but I myself love my car, but can't really aford to put any performance parts in it. Please help ASAP I've been without my baby for about a week now and Its definitely taken a toll on me mentally.

#3 ·
Had that happen to me once on a pickup truck and after it was taken apart we noticed that the friction disk had come apart and locked up everything inside the bellhousing. It was a mess. Bad part is it obviously locked up the rear tires in the process which made towing it without a rollback truck impossible.

#4 ·
Lok at the master/slave cylinder even if the fuid is a little low sometimes won't allow the clutch to engage.. use DOT 3 brake fluid and fill it to the line :)

#5 ·
One possibility is that the friction disk is stuck to the flywheel. I had this happen years ago, after leaving my car parked for about a year. probably corroded on?

Freed it up by shifting into first, starting the car, then shifted without the clutch up into fourth, then kept giving it lots of throttle, on an off, while holding the clutch pedal in, till it popped loose. Everything was fine after that.

#6 ·
Check all of the above, but if the pedal just goes limply to the floor, then the release bearing has blown. Have a look at the drain slot in the bottom of the bellhousing. If there's fluid coming out of there, it's the release bearing.

Seems to happen at about 75,000 miles.

Probably nothing wrong with the clutch and clutch plate. But if you're going to the trouble of pulling the gearbox out to replace the release bearing, you might as well replace the lot.

A little/major tip:- If replacing the release bearing with an aftermarket bearing such as a Ram item, it's a good idea to fit brand-new O'rings into the new kit.
My reasoning is if that kit has been on the shelf for an amount of time, the O'rings can have developed flat spots, which will start leaking within a short period of time.
It happened to me only 2 months after fitting a complete new kit, and it was obvious that the O'rings were the problem.
Not a very nice job to have to do all over again after such a short time, and it tends to create a lot of bad language.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.