Ford Mustang Forum banner

2007 Mustang GT vs 2011 Camaro RS

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  GTFun06 
#1 ·
I have three friends with Camaros (two auto, one stick), and two of them are absolutely convinced that my GT isn't in the same ball park. One even claims "it doesn't have a prayer against it in the 1/4. I'm pushing 350 horsepower with my intake, Hurst shifter, and chip." So I want to drag them out to the strip and settle it.

I haven't ran my 5-speed GT with 3.31s on the strip yet, and my tires are hard as a rock, but I still don't think I'll have a problem beating them.

From what I can tell, I'll likely be low to mid 13s and trapping around 100-103, and they'll be mid 14s. Does this sound right to y'all? What are y'all running in the 1/4, and what are your mods?

#2 ·
The 2011 RS is an LT/LS model with the RS appearance package. Engine: 3.6L V6 DOHC with variable valve timing and four valves per cylinder.
Power (SAE): 312 hp @ 6,500 rpm; 278 ft lb of torque @ 5,100 rpm
Weighs: 3780

2007 Mustang GT:
Engine: SOHC 24-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 281 cu in, 4601cc
Power (SAE net): 300 bhp @ 5750 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 320 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
Weighs: 3575

HP, about equal. TQ, favors Mustang. Weight, favors Mustang. I believe a 2007 Mustang GT should prevail, but a lot will depend on the drivers.

#3 ·
I agree pikapp. With the JLT Series 3, pulleys, tune, and Barton short throw, I think I'll be left with a decent margin for error, but it's still going to be a drivers race, especially with my tires that act like dry pavement is covered in grease as it is.

I'm wondering what guys like Bullitt launch at off the line, as I want to hit hard but not break loose, and I haven't been to the strip with this one yet.

#9 ·
I agree pikapp. With the JLT Series 3, pulleys, tune, and Barton short throw, I think I'll be left with a decent margin for error, but it's still going to be a drivers race, especially with my tires that act like dry pavement is covered in grease as it is.
If the RS is stock, it doesn't stand a chance.

I'm wondering what guys like Bullitt launch at off the line, as I want to hit hard but not break loose, and I haven't been to the strip with this one yet.
If I drop the clutch at ~2500rpm (TCS on of course), I only get a mere chirp from the tires with a good hard launch. The BMR LCAs reduced my 60' from 2.06 to 1.89.

#7 ·
Most of us do, but we've got a few that are those descended from overly tight jeans and mullets driving their IROC Camaros to town!

And my only concern is the launch. Since they're stock tires and not good ones at all, I think my best times will be launching around 2500 with TC on?

#6 ·
I think a 2007 stock GT (270 RWHP) will have no problem to beat a 2011 stock LT (250RWHP).
Unless they put a compressor or a turbo on their V6, you shouldn't have any problem to let them see the rear end of your S197.

#11 ·
The RS is a Camaro package, and as far as I know was available on the SS (IOW, V8) Camaros as well. One visible difference is the SS emblem on the rear of an RS-optioned car is red rather than silver-ish.

Picking on an LS3- or L99-engined Camaro would be a whole 'nother story from running against a sixxer.

Norm

#12 ·
Agreed. My dad sold his 95 trans am, but it was a close run with my 06 GT before he sold it.

These guys are all sixxers. One manual, two auto.

#16 ·
I "raced" a kid in his 2011 Camaro V6 in my 2010 V6 and we stayed bumper to bumper the whole time. You're GT will have no problem taking them out.

#18 ·
Well, it looks to me that you have the torque & vehicle weight in your favor. Remember the old saying "Torque wins races, Horsepower sells cars" Also you have to go in with the right attitude. Someone here put up Henry Ford`s famous saying, "If you think you can, or think you can`t, you are right"

#19 ·
Just reinforcing what was already said:

The 2010 Mustang GT was very close to the 2010 Camaro SS in the quarter mile in most if not all of the magazine comparo articles at that time. Even though the V8 Camaro had about 100 more horsepower, it was also carrying significantly more weight.

So -- the V6 Camaro should be no match for a 4.6 Mustang GT.

#20 ·
Yeah, you won't have any issues...the published articles speak for themselves. As others have pointed out...the Camaro is significantly heavier...for a drag strip that's big.

And keep your attitude positive...have fun with them! Who cares who wins (easy to say of course!) but really, you will win.:heha:

#21 ·
The power of the cars are similar but the mustang will build its power a lot faster (earlier) in the rpm. Against the v6 it's not close against the ss that's another story.

#23 ·
Let's not mince words, you're going to kick his arse, your car is substantially faster...end of story.

#24 ·
On a sidenote... I drove a 6-speed (I think) Camaro SS when they relaunched it back a few years ago...and I was not impressed. Nothing that made me think "Wow".

And also - GM always made their Camaro's and T/A's with much higher HP numbers then the Mustangs....but it never meant that much. I mean, they were always heavy and bloated... and I new Mustang guys who routinely spanked them. It's like Ford made more with less...GM always wanted to 'one up' the Mustang numbers. I saw a Camaro SS guy get whooped by an SRT Challenger the other day. No idea if he had work done (SRT) but it wasn't even close. I was attempting to follow in my Excursion...but wasn't fairing too well LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.