Ford Mustang Forum banner

Looking at an '07 Mustang GT

4K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Cem Sengul 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm looking to purchase a new car and am really considering a Mustang. I've basically narrowed it down to a Mustang, F150, or G35 Coupe. I found an '07 Mustang GT that has 55k KM (34k miles) for $17k CDN ($13.5k USD.) It's at a dealership so hopefully will be able to talk them down on the price. I'm gonna have a look at it this weekend. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Is this a good, solid, reliable Mustang?

Not sure if I can post links to the car... if I can, I will.

Cheers

#2 ·
oh definitely, the 3V Mustangs are sturdy, my friend has a 2005 Mustang GT that just reached 100,000 miles and his is still running strong without problems yet

#4 ·
Did you go look at it yet? If not, when you do, feel around under the front floor mats. 05-09s tend to leak from various spots under the dash and or behind the kick plates. Go to 05-09 tech section and type "water leaks" in the search. This problem is easily corrected with a little time.
What do you mean by maintenance price?
That's an odd three you've narrowed it down to. All have useful aspects but don't really share any. Imo.

#5 ·
Haven't looked at it yet. Going in a couple hours. Will look into that water leak.

Is the Mustang going to be less costly to maintain/repair? I read the G35 Coupe is fairly expensive.. like a clutch replacement almost costs 2 grand.

Lol, agreed... the F150 is out of place! The reason I'd consider a truck is because there are pesky cats around here that piss on my car and walk all over it. Figured with a truck, at least they'd just be pissing on the tires. If I get a car, I'll buy a good quality car cover. I've always liked G35 Coupes but I'm not having much luck finding a nice one in manual.

#6 ·
No....the Mustang is not costly nor hard to work on.

One way or another, cats have got to go. ......You know what I mean.lol.

#7 ·
I've gone from a 06 BMW 330Ci to an 08 Mustang GT convert. The BMW was expensive to maintain, the Mustang inexpensive. It is basically a simple car, sturdy, and easy to work on yourself if you want.

Despite this, it is entertaining to drive, and quite fast. I'd buy it again.

What city are you in?

#9 ·
about the only major issue you will find is the spark plugs. they are 2 piece and can break upon removal sometimes. I would not let that deter you from the car as its not a bad job to do if gone about properly. on the interior, check the door "leather" inserts as they have a tendency to sag or come unglued over time. I bought my 05' GT about 1 year ago and would do it all again, I love my Mustang. good luck and keep us posted!

#10 ·
Any good mechanic is well aware of the Ford spark plug ordeal so don't let that deter you. It's a great car! With low mileage like that I'd definitely take a look! I think the leaking issue was resolved for the 07 model but not sure, I haven't had any leaking. I just hit 60k miles and I've only had to fix an alternator!

Well, I also "had" to "fix" my intake, gears, exhaust, suspension, wheels...

The g35 is just a small inside, will lose value faster, and is slower. Get the Mustang!!

#11 ·
^^^ Yep, if you don't need a truck...I would do the Mustang over the G35... but to be honest, without googling it, I wouldn't even know what the G35 is. I am assuming it's an Infiniti based on the model name. I can't speak for Infiniti, but I will say my neighbor has a Lexus...he knows I work on cars, asked me to help him find his oil filter when he first got the car. I have NO CLUE how you would even change the oil on your own car if you had a Lexus...IS300 (maybe?) it's the sport sedan. We found it but there is no way to even get to it unless you have a lift in your garage. I'm not kidding. SO if the Infiniti is anything like Lexus...go with the Mustang, they are pleasant to work on.

#13 ·
I myself have a 2005 Mustang and a 2006 g35. I will tell you that the G35 is nicer when it comes to interior, the seats are exceptional, the build quality all around the inside is soft plush materials that can't be beat by the mustang. HOWEVER the G35 is a COMPLETELY different car than my mustang, it is higher to maintain (even though they don't have many problems) and it also rides smoother and handles better than the mustang. That being said I would drive the mustang any day over the G35, the mustang has emotion and is an amazing car. The sound of the V8 will also make you smile over the V6 in the G35. Also the gas mileage will be about equal. I vote mustang you won't be disappointed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
I myself have a 2005 Mustang and a 2006 g35. I will tell you that the G35 is nicer when it comes to interior, the seats are exceptional, the build quality all around the inside is soft plush materials that can't be beat by the mustang.
I liked your review, plus you gave the nod to the Mustang! amer.gif

I did a quick comparison of prices:
2007 Mustang GT coupe brand new - Costed $23k - $25k based on trim.
2007 Ininiti G35 - Costed $31k - $34k based on trim.

I would estimate that at almost $10k more, it would have a nicer feel.

#15 ·
Well I want in and looked at on Tuesday and ended up buying it! Very cool car and very fun. I haven't had a chance to drive it a lot yet though. I ended up paying $18k CDN total. Kinda ticked though cause I noticed afterwards they charged me for some BS "globali" car security for $400. They also charged a $600 documentation fee. Live and learn.

I took it for a pretty decent test drive and it seemed to drive well. However, I'm not noticing occasionally the brake will sort of have a "grindy" feel to them (usually when stopping quickly.) The report sheet they gave me says front brakes are 11/11mm and back 10/10mm.

Another thing is there is some very slight vibration in the shifter. You can see slight vibration when in neutral. Is that okay?

Attachments

#16 ·
Nice car.
Get those brakes looked at. Do you have the 90 day buyers warranty there? If so, get everything fixed to your likings before it runs out. You payed good money for that car. Don't let em give you any crap.
As far as the vibrating shifter, I'll have to really check mine tomarrow. Although with the cams I'm sure there's some wiggle.lol. Maybe someone else can help you with that but I think it's normal.

#18 ·
Car is gorgeous! Congrats!!!! Thanks for coming back with the update! And pics too!!

#20 ·
Nice car! Enjoy it.

#21 ·
Thanks guys! Loving it so much!! The grindy feel in the brakes doesn't seem to happen much any more. It's actually more if I'm braking on a bumpy road, I can feel the bumps in the brake. Make sense?

Another little thing I noticed is the passenger side speaker (not the sub) makes a funny noise when the stereo is off. It's a weird sound; hard to describe.

#26 ·
I've never experienced the speaker issue...do you have the base radio or do you have 1 of the Shaker systems? (Shaker 500 or 1000)...I think the only difference was the Shaker 1000 has subs in the trunk.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing my head unit with a double din aftermarket NAV... I prefer the look of OEM, but the aftermarket stuff is so much better quality. And then once that is in, I was gonna replace all the speakers. I have the Shaker 500...which also tends to kill the battery if you don't drive the car for extended periods (with no battery tender).

#25 ·
I got an 07 GT Vert 2 years ago with 60,000 Kms for $19K including GST so you got a pretty sweet deal especially at this time of year and yours looks great. No issues with mine but I only drive it in the summer. The dealer that I got it from did an alignment prior to me getting it and it tracks straight. I replaced the spark plugs myself - Ford wanted $600 if none broke and $1200 if they all broke. None broke - I took my time and followed the TSB. With your low mileage you should be fine. Black "Coil On Plugs" and you have the potential for them to get seized and break upon removal - brown and no need to do anything ( I think I got that right - google it and you will see or take it to the dealer with the VIN and ask them although initially the dealer I took it to said mine were OK). Lots of info on various web sites to see how to do it.
The only 'bad' thing is all the extras you can get for the car lol - and those can add up ($) but those things are 'wants', not 'needs' so your choice. I haven't touched the engine other than a 'Tune' - no supercharging - it is fine the way it is for me. Lots and lots of cosmetic things though - like sequential tail lights, one touch turn signals, remote trunk release, chrome stuff, etc etc etc. It has been loads of fun. Mileage is decent if you go easy but the zip is there if you 'need' it LOL!
Enjoy.

#27 ·
I installed a Pioneer 'Brick' unit which is OEM. It generally works except:
1) Doesn't recognize the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) so there is no NAV lockout when moving (which is nice) but there is no speed sensitive volume either.
2) Doesn't recognize illumination signal so the pushbutton lights don't come on when the lights come on. Also doesn't switch between Day and Night mode for display dimming.
3) Doesn't recognize Aux In, even though the Shaker 500 did have that connection in the center console.
4) Doesn't have Blue tooth to interface with a phone. This required a separate module for many hundred dollars. I installed a Parrot which I already had from a previous car.
5) No Sat radio - but I don't want that anyway.
6) No steering wheel controls - I could change the steering wheel - but again many $$$ and I can reach over to the radio if I want.
7) No Ford Sync - but that is crap anyway. We have it in a Lincoln MKX and we never use it. Actually done by Microsoft, Ford is dumping MS in favour of Blackberry for new units at some point.

I could send it to 4D Tech for programming to get some of the above items working but being in Canada we get screwed on shipping to and from the USA so I'll live with those deficiencies for now. The rear plugs are plug and play between the Shaker 500 and the Pioneer OEM Brick. Looks good and I like the display over the Shaker and no battery run down issues.

#28 ·
Alright guys so on my way to work this morning... I shifted into 1st gear, applied gas, and it would hardly go! I floored it and the RPM's just slowly raised. Popped into second gear, same thing... 3rd gear and up it was fine. When I came to a stop, I didn't have the problem again. What could this be?

#30 ·
Could be bad gas and/or clogged fuel filter. Change the filter, use quality gas, check air filter and possibly replace. Clean maf sensor and throttle body with cleaning sprays made specifically for them. I'd also pour a 20oz(I think it's that size) bottle of Chevron Techron into a quarter tank or less of gas and run it and let it soak in the injectors for a weekend before you add more gas.

If that doesn't help to your satisfaction, I'd say it's time for a 93 Oct tune. Lol.

#32 ·
The last clutch I had replaced on a Mustang (or any car for that matter) was a 97 Cobra. And when the clutch went...it progressively got worse over the course of maybe a weekend...by let's say 4 days later...it was almost undriveable. It would not accelerate at all...I had to drive it 10 miles to my buddy's garage (he has a lift)...and I don't think I got over 20mph the whole trip - that was the longest 10 miles ever!!!! Lots of angry drivers behind me. Anywho, I digress.

Does your issue happen often? I'm surprised that it grabbed in 3rd...but then immediately went back to normal at the next light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.