Ford Mustang Forum banner

Reasons Why 2010 is the Best Mustang

20K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  konabluev6 
#1 ·
I know, all of us have our favorite year Mustang, and for some that year is other than 2010. But this tread is about the positives of 2010 and is for 2010 fans. So Haters, spend your time elsewhere supporting the year you thinks is best instead of, well, hating.

The biggest improvements from Ford for 2010 were cosmetic. They lowered the front facia a bit, added the Power Dome to the hood, and gave the front of the hood a turndown - combining to give the car a more menacing look while preserving the retro appearance. The interior was updated and included the dual brow dash, rectangular center vents, a improved shifter (for automatics), and nicer materials and fit and finish.

The car had enhanced aerodynamics and handling components were improved - including slightly better springs.

The GT version inherited the Bullitt legacy - the engine having a nice bump in horsepower to 315 and some of the handling components rolled in. It has the improved one-piece spark plugs and a better alternator.

Traction control was included - with the ability to adjust throttle and to independently brake with any wheel to help regain control. The system can be adjusted to Sport mode to allow a bit more pushing of the envelop for spirited cornering, or turned off completely for tire shreading/ drifting mayhem.

An improved version of Sync and optional GPS available in the technology package.

The GT being capable of a 13.7 1/4 mile right from the factory with the factory optional 3.73 rear end. This from only 281 cubic inches.

And let's not forget those 19" wheels! The factory optional Bright 19" wheels really helped fill those wheel wells.

A great year for a Mustang and the best of the 4.6L 3Vs.

See less See more
#40 ·
After having owned two (2) S197's pre-2010 I was a bit jealous when the '10 model hit the lots.

- Nicer Interior
- Slight bump in power
- Sequentials
- Curvier design

For budgetary purposes, the 2010 is a great in-between when comparing the 05-09 models and the 2011+ models.

The 3V is a very strong car. Both of my 3V's were Supercharged and were both raced heavily.

#43 ·
For budgetary purposes, the 2010 is a great in-between when comparing the 05-09 models and the 2011+ models.
The 2010 could be considered the red-headed stepchild like the '96-'98 GT but unlike its older brethren, it IS actually a better car than the '05-'09 GT even though there are mixed opinions about the rear end.
As for whether it's a better car than the '11-'14 GT, that's a mixed bag. The '10 has a better manual tranny but the '11-'14 has a better auto and a better engine (unless you actually consider the 4.6 3V to be better than the 5.0 Coyote).
At the end of the day, redheads still deserve some love and the same goes for the 2010 model. :D

#41 ·
And one last benefit of the 2010, Has the power assist rack and pinion steering - not the electric. Last year of it. That's why Mickey Thompson has a few of them to test handling and tire components - steering response.

#46 ·
I like the front end on the 2010+, especially the '13-14 with the "Shelby" treatment (as I saw it called in a magazine awhile back), the front end is much more reminiscent of a modernized '67-68, which I think looks very good. '13-14 they also finally got the taillights right.

Anywho...I do like the looks of my '05, I just wish it had the "hip" that the '10+ cars do (love that line, it adds a lot to the car) and I always felt like parts of the rear on the '05-09 cars were just a little too rounded and too tall from the bottom of the bumper to the top of the trunk lid (maybe because it's all painted, unlike a lot of the '10+ cars that have some black cladding on the rear that gives the illusion the back end isn't as tall as it is)

BTW- there was mention of the sound of the 4.6 vs 5.0. I read when the 5.0 first came out that they changed the firing order to the same one that used to be used on the Flathead. Why did they go away from the good ol' 5.0 HO/351W firing order that they'd used since what, 1982? I always thought that firing order made the sound that made it a Mustang.

#49 ·
My 2010 GT had the best sounding OEM exhaust of all the Mustangs I´ve had, but the suspension was definitely not the best, these cars were too bouncy on the back... they fixed that for the 13-14 models, and the 5.0 definitely was a big improvement from the 4.6. Yet the 2010 had a lovely exhaust sound, better than the 5.0

Its hard to point "the best Mustang" in all honesty, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.