Ford Mustang Forum banner

Reason why 2005-2009 is the best Mustang

5K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  Norm Peterson 
#1 ·
So we don't take over the "2010 thread", how about we all add something about the 2005-2009 models that we think make it better than the other models.

My main opinion is the styling, the early styling of the s197's is one of the most gorgeous vehicles that I can lay my eyes on. I have seriously considered getting a 5.0 and trading my 05, but I just can't justify giving up the looks of my car just for that 5.0, especially when a supercharger will get me up there with it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There's yer problem right there...you need a supercharger to make the boat-anchor 4.6 competitive with a 5.0 that has only a healthy tune on it. *ducks*>:)

...says the dude who's had two LM 5.0s and loved them both....

#4 ·
Not really sure they are the best but I like mine for a couple reasons.
One is because around here, I don't see too many anymore. I was never one to follow the herd. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 5.0.
Another reason is probably why everybody loves their own car more than others. I've made changes to this car, the way I want it, that's made it more enjoyable than the day I bought it.
But if I had a highly modded classic fastback, 04 Cobra or an 08 GT500, I'd also say they were the best.

Reactions: Edmund K
#5 ·
Is the '05-'09 GT the best Mustang? I don't think so.
Undoubtedly for me it's the '15+ GT model but it's too heavy and I don't like the front. If I had to pick the best features from any '05+ model, it would be everything from the '15+ model wrapped inside an '05-'09 bodyshell with a '10-'12 front end.

#6 ·
To me the Gen 1 S197s (05-09s) feel like they have the most diverse visual modification options.
Even over the Gen 2's, the bodystyle just offers so many options to completely change it's appearance.

#7 ·
The 2005-2009 is the best mustang because it started the retro-modern design revival, which I had been waiting and wishing for, for about 35 years.

#10 ·
I don't think the Mustang started the retro revival. I think that was the VW Beetle designed by J Mays. Mays ended up at Ford in the late 90s. With him we got the Thunderbird, GT-40 and then the Mustang. But with the Mustang being such a success Chevy and Dodge followed with the retro Camaro and Challenger.

I too welcomed the retro look. I can remember seeing the 05 for the first time at the Dallas Auto Show and it sort of took my breath away. For me personally the Bullitt is one of the best looking s197s.

#8 ·
You're all gonna say I'm biased, cause I've got an 08. But for me, it was all about the retro looks. Inside and out, the 05-09s remind me of the original Mustangs, and the 67-68s, favourite cars when I was growing up. True, the 5.0 Coyotes will go faster, but so what? There's always something faster.

Technically, the 2015s are better cars, but not everybody buys a car just for the technical stuff. Every time I go to the garage, I gotta look at the car before I get in and drive, and I wanna look at something that I like.

My buddy has a 2015 GT coupe, and it's a great car. I'm sure he likes it more than he likes mine, and that's what's so great about this hobby--there's something for everyone.

#9 ·
Bullit hit it bang on. Newer technology is usually better and the +15's have that for sure but as Tinkindling said - I also like to look at my car then go for a drive. I was in a Ford lot the other day checking on the air bag recall - and if I looked at the new Mustang front and a Fusion front other than the pony on the front, it was difficult to tell and I don't want a Fusion. There will always cars that are faster but you have to love the look and feel of the one you have and I do. I looked at Camaro's when I bought mine but it wasn't retro enough and thus the reason for the Mustang. I had a 69 Camaro and wanted that feeling back. The Mustang did it. The Challengers are nice too, but no Vert available so that was out for me.

#11 ·
I had a 06 and loved it. The day I sold it I was very sad. Went a year without a stang then bought my 12. They are both great cars. Fun to drive and oh so pretty.

Attachments

#13 ·
I agree with the "retro" comments. The first time I saw the '05, I remember commenting on how well it paid homage to the '67-'68 styling. I think all versions of the Mustang are nice. And Camaros, and Challengers, and lots of others, too. :laugh2:

#14 ·
The only things that would make the 05-09 look any better would be a hatchback, a fender hump behind the door, and deep open ROUND headlights like the 68-69.

A hatchback would make the rear window easier to clean inside too. Are you kidding me, cleaning that thing is rough on an old man.

I like my 05 GT because it is as raw as an open blister, as visceral as a Harley, and as sexy as Sofia Vergara.

Now, running better? You can get over 400 hp out of a 5 lb supercharger, OR you can put a Coyote up front, both of which are surprisingly simple. If you do either, or both, buy a tremec too. Of course all that is reeeeeeeeeeally expensive.

#15 ·
Hell Yeah its way better than the other years. I'm not speaking technically of course not. Every year that goes by they make improvements mechanically and technically but this is the best of all the new Mustangs. It is beautifully retro inside and out. It has that raw muscle car look to it. It is the best of both worlds. I always wanted a 60's Mustang was was too young at the time and now they are all gone or too expensive. This is a 60's retro Mustang with the safety and easy driving of a modern vehicle. Don't care for all the modernization and improvements made to the newer years. Every time I walk up to my car its like looking at a work of art. Speaking of which people don't go around saying "My work of art is better than yours because it was made with modern more advanced stuff" now do they. Art is art and it's all in the eye of the beholder. Who cares about greater horsepower or whatever. It's about the beauty of the machine. You can have the most gas efficient or fastest or safest vehicle on the road and it can look like crap and not inspire. Still to this day many companies like Armor All and other use the original 05-09 S197 on their advertisements. They do not use the S550 or the 10-14. Also, Ford got it right the first time. They didn't have to make many changes to the 05-09 body because it sold like crazy. The 10-14 on the other hand the had to modify almost every year because it just didn't sell as much. I never saw as many around my area as I did of the 05-09.

#17 ·
Also, Ford got it right the first time. They didn't have to make many changes to the 05-09 body because it sold like crazy. The 10-14 on the other hand the had to modify almost every year because it just didn't sell as much. I never saw as many around my area as I did of the 05-09.
The drop in sales was because of competition. The Camaro and Challenger took sales away. Mustang guys like us will always buy a Mustang. But the average Joe wants what is the newest thing out-especially when it comes to buying a two door car.

#18 ·
Okay. This post needs a little help if it is going to succeed and be what its title espouses. And that has nothing to do with Coyotes... So even though I am a 2010 guy, here are some great things about 2005-2009 for you:

-Mustang production moves from Dearborn to Auto Alliance International assembly plant.
-First year to feature a foundation designed specifically for the pony car without borrowing existing platforms from other Ford models (Falcon, Pinto, Fairmont)...
- 2005 GT first Mustang to come standard with 300hp
- The FR500C racing Mustang won first time in the Grand-Am Cup series at Daytona
- 2005 marketing made links between 2005 and 1967 to evoke family ties
- Contains enough styling of previous Mustangs that uninitiated viewers recognize it as a Mustang
- Torsional stiffness up 31 percent for the coupe and 100 percent for convertible compared to 2004
- 6 inches longer than 2004, moving the engine rearward and changing balance favorably to 53% front, 47% rear (compared to 57/43 for 2004)
- Includes a live axle, which is better for drag racing
- The new chassis did everything better: accelerate, turn, stop, and decreased NVH
- Front end included reverse L control arms instead of A arms or wishbones, and it dampens road shocks better
- First color configurable interior lighting system
- 13 percent larger trunk - 12.3 cubic feet

- Shelby introduced the Shelby GT-H, a take off of the the 1966 Shelby/Hertz cars. The GT-H came with 325hp

- Shelby comes back with the Shelby GT500 with 500 horses and a less brutal Shelby GT with 319hp
- California Special re-introduced

- Side air bags introduced
- Ambient lighting package offered to light up footwells and cup holders
- Mustang Bullitt re-introduced with 315hp running a 13.6 second quarter mile
- Warriors in Pink edition introduced
- Convertible Shelby GT introduced and the GT500KR (King of the Road - to toast the newly released 2008 Challenger) running a 12.1 second quarter mile with 540hp
- FR500CJ Cobra Jet drag car offered

- Satellite radio added
- 45th Anniversary badging
- 1 piece plugs introduced
- the 2010 Mustang released early and including the Bullitt's enhanced suspension and 315hp plus many interior fit and finish improvements and technology tweaks (... okay, true but maybe a bit off topic here... but true...)

#22 ·
the 2010 Mustang released early and including the Bullitt's enhanced suspension and 315hp plus many interior fit and finish improvements and technology tweaks (... okay, true but maybe a bit off topic here... but true...)
Hahaha....great posts but I see what you did there you tricky bugger. :wink:

To each their own, but my 06 GT in Vista Blue is a dream car - even if it's a pain to fill and the plugs suck and all the minor things. It's part of owning the car and makes it unique.
You know a LOT of people make a big deal about this and while I don't dispute that it is a PITA the S197 is NOT the first car to have this issue. As a teenager I drove a 1970 AMC Hornet, and that thing used to take me 15 minutes to fill the tank. Typical scenario...Start, stop, pull out the nozzle to let air escape, fill more, repeat over and over again until full. I hated filling up but what can you do as a poor teenager. Oh, BTW you haven't experienced anything until you have a car with vacuum driven windshield wipers in heavy rain. Yeah, that car had those also. They would randomly stop when the vacuum would drop. :crying:

#19 ·
I love the style inside and out. I like the "modern retro" look. It looks like a Mustang. The new ones are growing on me, but they aren't me. I don't need the 5.0 as I don't race. Mine is a DD. Summer and winter. The 4.6 is dependable and if you need more, highly modifiable.

To each their own, but my 06 GT in Vista Blue is a dream car - even if it's a pain to fill and the plugs suck and all the minor things. It's part of owning the car and makes it unique.

#23 ·
I've gotten pretty good at the gas fill thing. Spark plugs will be the shops problem. The rest is all fun - especially driving.

#25 ·
IMO
Cause she's dead sexy.
Retro lines, what I consider the pinnacle of SOHC achievement.
Modern engine, with a blend of simplicity.
Sure it has a lot of sensors and such.
But I can still confidently tear it open and do things.

Comfortable ride.
Awesome interior(I have the aluminum trim accents)

My only caveat is I personally think the 3v is slightly more high pitched.

Sure they aren't the fastest.
But it's faster than most cars on the road.
I get compliements on having a clean, tastefully modded mustang.

Ok that's my take anyhow

Attachments

#26 ·
I'm partial to the 05-09 Stangs, maybe because I own an 06 GT. I have, however, modified it including the exterior with Gen 4 Taillights, blacked out Fogs, Front Spoiler, Smoked Turn Signals, 18" Staggered Bullits w/ Nitto's, etc. Below are a few recent pics.

Attachments

#27 ·
Looks good. I debated different tail lights - Gen 5 - but I don't want it to get too modern. I did put a sequential harness in though. To me a Mustang has to have sequential tail lights.

To me Vista Blue needs a little chrome. Not too much. I think a little trim around my taillights, not much else. Stock is fine.

I do think if I do summer wheels they'll be 18" staggered chrome bullitts.

#29 ·
Love the retro styling, agree with previous posters on there are so many ways to Mod this thing, it can be your own Mustang.
It is a powerful, rough, engaging machine to drive. The SC makes it a different animal, but you can do other N.A. mods and make it more of a beast.
And what Mustang Sounds better??? What other Car sounds better.
Premium Interior looks sharp and you can mod the interior. Looking at those TMI seats to take it back to the 60's
TMI Mustang Black Vinyl Upholstery Sport X Series 2005-2010

Cannot stop the Modding and I'm not even close to as bad as other people:surprise:

#30 · (Edited)
Love the retro styling, agree with previous posters on there are so many ways to Mod this thing, it can be your own Mustang.
It is a powerful, rough, engaging machine to drive. The SC makes it a different animal, but you can do other N.A. mods and make it more of a beast.
And what Mustang Sounds better??? What other Car sounds better.
Premium Interior looks sharp and you can mod the interior. Looking at those TMI seats to take it back to the 60's
TMI Mustang Black Vinyl Upholstery Sport X Series 2005-2010

Cannot stop the Modding and I'm not even close to as bad as other people:surprise:

#31 ·
It was the spring of 2012 when my wife and I started shopping for our Mustang, and we obviously had the Coyote as well as the S197 platforms from which to choose. Our criteria was that it would be a convertible, stick shift, and a GT.
We looked at and test drove several cars of various style levels among the year range 05-11 models; the newer models had more gadgets and gimmicks (like mood lighting in the foot wells and cup holder!).
The s197's seemed more primal, something you had to fear just a little, as it was not as technical and sophisticated, but more of a brawling, untamed wild horse. Want to see if that rear end swings out and tries to trade places with the front of the car? Just step on the gas and see what it'll get ya, mister!
I was drawn to the very distinct 1960's styling cues like the big headlights and square jaw of a front bumper, the slightly bulged hood and the swarthy rear deck with those unmistakable Mustang taillights. The premium version of the S197 interior has that lovely matte aluminum decor, another bow to the classic lines of 1965-8; it lets you dream up custom/classic style modifications to add here and there to make it "your" favorite interior.
I actually stopped looking at the 2010-and later-models very early on in our buying process, as I just didn't like the more rectangular and pressed-down look of the front end (headlights and grille), and the coyote taillights were not as agreeable to me with those back-up lights in the center of the tails; the whole package itself was obviously a "modernization" of the S197; I was just drawn to that "original" retro theme of S197, and could only ask for a real live '60's machine otherwise! Funds were NOT available for that, so, there you go!
Now, please don't mistake my preference of S197 styling for an intolerance of the other, newer designs ( although I still can't find anything to like about the new Fusion-front-ended Mustang for 2015; many do love it, and I say, "more power to ya") I love to go look at my Mustang in its stall during the winter months, and enjoy (with a healthy amount of respect and deference to it's untamed nature) driving it on our local back roads in the spring, summer and fall. It's a car that I've made "my own", and only intend to get rid of it by passing it on to one of my children in my will, 'cause I'll have to be dead for them to get "my" car!

#34 ·
You know, I'll add one thing that is kinda related but not to the topic. We have a bunch of great folks in this forum (ie: 05-09 owners). Seem to be more interactive, helpful, and knowledgeable than in the other (10 and newer) forums. I read those sometimes and its a snoozefest. I don't want to say any more for fear of someone taking offense (since there is usually somebody like that out there) but you get the general idea. I don't even bother reading the other forums any more. So the 05-09 is a great car and has better owners in my opinion. >:)

#35 ·
It's because the 5.0 owners are mad cause they gotta make a huge car payment :nerd:

#36 ·
IMHO the 05-09 look more like the 65/66 more so than the 67/68

look at my car with the mods I did (Raxiom retros/Bullitt staggered wheels/1/4 scoops and the Cobra roadster hood + the OEM Pony Package grille)

To me she looks like a 65-66 Just the look I was going for

#37 ·
So we don't take over the "2010 thread", how about we all add something about the 2005-2009 models that we think make it better than the other models.
Not nearly as many nannies or "features" that I wouldn't ever use anyway.

It makes a surprisingly good track day car with only a few mods - you don't have to give up a damn thing to the newer S197's in the corners. Nicely composed, and I've got datalogged cornering g's in excess of 1.3 on true street tires, on a car that's still on its OE springs.

Norm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.