Ford Mustang Forum banner

how to drive to make 2005 mustang gt rumble? [without any mods]

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Dana W 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I was wondering what kind of driving makes that rumbling noise or popping noise from the exhaust

Sometimes I hear it when I drive in second gear around 25 mph and take the foot off gas pedal. I hear very low pop sounds

Sometimes I hear it when I'm third gear

I just wanted to understand what causes this sound, as in not the explanation but the way to drive to hear more of it

I've been searching various forums and googling it forever

I'm not willing to do any mods, I know the sound won't be louder if I don't mod anything

I just wanted to know the technique to hear more of that sound

Thanks everyone in advance

#2 ·
Like you said, it makes those pops and gurgles when you let off the gas and/or downshift.

So, let of the gas and/or downshift.

But be careful not to over do the downshifting; don't over-rev the engine.

#4 ·
In 2nd or third gear bring up the revs a little and coast down hill with your foot off the gas. The only way to get the 'deceleration burble' is to decelerate.

:wink:Better yet, go totally '50s old school (viewers, don't try this at home) and take off the cast iron headers and weld a penny in each header opening before putting them back on. That'll make it sound like a 10 wheel dump truck coming to a downhill red light with a heavy load and a full on jake brake. :wink:

#6 ·
I lost the "burble" with my V2 tunes from Bama. I spoke with the rep and asked if the burble could be added to the tune since I lost it. He said request the "popcorn" tune in the comments section of the tune build sheet. Never did it though. Wonder if anyone else did.

#9 ·
The burble is created by unburned fuel during an inefficient and unregulated (by the computer) engine phase while the ignition timing is retarded. The performance tunes serendipitously get rid of most of it due to properly advanced ignition timing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.