Ford Mustang Forum banner

2 drops of water on driver side

947 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  bl817 
#1 ·
So a couple months ago I had the water leak through the passenger side and it WAS the cowls, there clean now checked them again today.

But so I washed my car last night around 5 and did an oil change and then she went in the garage for the night until about 1PM today so a good 20hours and as I was backing down the driveway I felt 2 drops of water on my ankle as it was in the like foot rest area.

I drove for about 45 min and did not feel anymore and when I parked It i looked underneath and did not notice any water near the wires or anything or any water on the floorboard.

Yes I know its 2 drops of water but should I look into the TSB for the side molding? or just leave it alone for now and just see what happens?

#2 ·
I would go ahead and replace them, there are several threads on part #'s. I think they are kinda pricey IIRC. I made my own out of closed cell foam camper seal (gray). it was $10 for 30'. I painted the sides of the roll black so you couldn't tell. get some goo gone to get rid of the old glue, that was the hardest part for me. once your trim pieces are nice and clean, lay a just over 6' section over the entire thing and trim with razor blade. there is a small lip that the edge of the foam sits against, youll know what I mean when you have yours out, simply butt the edge of the foam against it and trim other side flush. cut a slit where the plastic pins go thru. you can remove the rubber window gasket without removing it from the car,it will save you some headache and another trip to the parts store for the plastic push clips that hold each end down. just pull it down from the channel and let it hang by each side as you remove the plastic trim piece. several screws come out and it just pops out. careful, there is one white plastic plug that goes in the top back (rear) corner of the trim piece that holds the window gasket up. reverse for install. after you get those done, it wouldn't hurt to replace all 10 cowl hold down clip insert gaskets. the early cars just used a foam gasket that leaks. I took all mine out and used auto goop to seal them, has worked so far. you can buy the upgraded foam gaskets that come with adhesive to make a better seal, up to you. good luck

#4 ·
I'm talking about the cowl clip holders themselves, the pockets that the 10 cowl "fingers" clip into. I removed the small rectangle foam gaskets, I then applied auto goop around the sealing surface and pressed them back in. I let them sit for a while so the goop could set up. you don't want to fill the clip holder with goop. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.