Is the 5.0 "better" than the 4.6? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc1488 View Post
The 4.6 did its job and did it well since 1996. It was at the end of its development cycle.
I don't think so. Ford could have developed the 4.6 4V further and added direct FI as well as more power but I think they'd already made up their minds to revive the 302.

marylandGT likes this.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.67 @ 108.61
310rwhp 328rwtq with simple bolt-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc1488 View Post
It was at the end of its development cycle.
But was never developed. It was still a truck motor when phased out. If you apply "Yote" type aggressiveness to a 3v you get the same HP results.

My best friend and I just built a 4.6L NA 3v with 11:1 compression (same as the Yote), bigger cams but not crazy (about the same lift/duration as the Yote) and ported heads (to flow what Yotes do). With mid length headers and 2.5" exhaust and only spinning 7250rpm (lot's of Yote guys spin faster) it makes 419rwhp. Which is what you could expect out of a Yote with exhaust.

There is no magic in a Yote. It's just built more aggressively than the 3v.

marylandGT likes this.

2015 GT Performance Pack......Blown

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Apprentice

You both have valid points. Maybe that is why Ford released their top end kit for the 4.6 that offered if I remember correctly about 450hp. I almost bought a 2010 due to that kit, but got a 2012 instead. Mmmm, did anyone here ever install that kit?

Maybe emisionsade it difficult for the 4.6 to be developed further. I guess we won't ever know.
Apprentice

You both have valid points. Maybe that is why Ford released their top end kit for the 4.6 that offered if I remember correctly about 450hp. I almost bought a 2010 due to that kit, but got a 2012 instead. Mmmm, did anyone here ever install that kit?

Maybe emisions made it difficult for the 4.6 to be developed further. I guess we won't ever know.
PONY Member

Garage
just having the 5.0 badge on the side makes it sexy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160618-00305 (1).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	827.6 KB
ID:	545481  

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
MACH I Member

Folks were having this same argument in '96. Only the 5.0 was really a 4.99..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Folks were having this same argument in '96. Only the 5.0 was really a 4.942
There. Fixed it. The Coyote is a 4.951.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
There. Fixed it. The Coyote is a 4.951.

Ha! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bigredstang View Post
just having the 5.0 badge on the side makes it sexy
I have 5 fingers on each hand and 5 toes on each foot. I like 5 spoke wheels... But that GT badge harkens back to the original Mustang GT...

Main point is still the same, "better" is not black and white when comparing the two engines in cars. One has to consider goals, total cash outlay, and the benefits of both. Both are great engines. The 5.0 has more horses, but spinning ain't winning. If someone has to have the biggest cubic inches, maybe they need a 427... which isn't a Mustang...

Some top track drivers worry more about brakes and tires than the exact engine (or engine mods) as laying down the power is important. I've driven a few 5.0s. Liked them, but couldn't find one in my price range. My current 4.6 feels as fast, with the few mods I have done, and I have beaten one on the quarter mile. Driver, maybe, I am not bad at cutting a light. But the 5.0 is not invincible and the 4.6 is plenty good platform to work from. My own goal is to drop into the high 12s. Need 3.73s to get there and maybe one or two other mods. The 4.6 will do that and give me a daily driver with lots of luxury and fun.

5.0s are nice, 4.6s are bargins for someone wanting to have a V8 Mustang. Better for you may not be better for me. Both are good choices.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Red Candy Metallic / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / 19" Premium Painted Wheels / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT valve caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
Apprentice

yes, the 4.6 is an anemic old motor. That said however, the 5.0 Mustang you have to fear is between 11-14 models, the S550 is a joke with its heavier IRS suspension.

2014 Mustang V6 Performance Pack, Airaid CAI, Automatic 3.31
stock 0-60: 5.8 seconds
tune and cai: 5.2 seconds
My goal: 5 seconds flat
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem Sengul View Post
yes, the 4.6 is an anemic old motor.
More because it never got as much development as it could have (and probably should have). I'll bet that somebody in management got all starry-eyed with the idea that 5.0 wasn't out of reach within the basic modular block and decided that numbers for advertising (and bench racers' bragging rights) was more important than trying one more time to make a really nice engine out of the 4.6.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'10 Legacy 2.5GT, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem Sengul View Post
yes, the 4.6 is an anemic old motor. That said however, the 5.0 Mustang you have to fear is between 11-14 models, the S550 is a joke with its heavier IRS suspension.
The S550 car/chassis is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice to DD though. I drive them back to back all the time. The S197 feels like a logging truck in comparison.

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

Rookie

The new 5.0 is definitely an awesome motor, but I'm happy with my 4.6. Plenty fast for a daily driver. Not as fast as the 5.0, but up until this point I've only owned trucks. My last truck was a 5.9 Cummins with a programmer and it was definitely no slouch in a straight line. I could beat most cars I raced. In all honesty, it probably would have given my stang a run for its money, but it was still a truck. I'm really loving my GT. The 4.6 is plenty for me, if I want more power I can always drop some money to get there. And one things for sure, nothing beats the sound of the 4.6
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
More because it never got as much development as it could have (and probably should have). I'll bet that somebody in management got all starry-eyed with the idea that 5.0 wasn't out of reach within the basic modular block and decided that numbers for advertising (and bench racers' bragging rights) was more important than trying one more time to make a really nice engine out of the 4.6.
You've hit the nail on the head. Ford had already decided to revive the 302 and the brief was that it should produce at least 400hp.
Getting the 4.6 motor to produce 400+hp and maintain good low rpm torque plus a smooth idle would have required a major redesign with 4V heads, DOHC, variable cam timing on intake & exhaust cams, a higher compression ratio, and a bottom end that could spin safely to 7000+rpm.
Logically, it would have been easier for Ford to extract 400+hp from 302 cubes instead of 281 and still leave room for further development.
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
it would have been easier for Ford to extract 400+hp from 302 cubes instead of 281 and still leave room for further development.
Well, there isn't much room left for development. The Yote is pretty high strung. Yeah the VooDoo is derived from the 5.0 (sorta). But that sucker is ON THE EDGE. That is one seriously high strung OEM motor from a big manufacturer. I think Ferrari is the only one that has more motor in that class.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page