Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang Talk Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-05-2008   #1 (permalink)
05mustanger is offline Rookie

S197 Member

05mustanger's Country Flag
Charlotte   North Carolina
05mustanger is on a distinguished road
Default 2005 Mustang rain water leak

i have a 2005 mustang. several months ago i noticed a musty smell inside the cabin. then, i noticed a wet spot in the carpet on the passenger side. several weeks ago, after a hard rain i had a lot of water on the passenger side floor.
after checking forums on the internet i started looking for a unsealed grommet or something in the engine compartment. i didnt see anything. i removed the left side of the louvered black plastc cowl at the bottom of the windshield. this covers a trough that had the cabin air filter in it.
at the bottom of this trough, there was a rubber boot that was meant to drain away the rain water that went into the trough. the boot was supposed to sit flush with the bottom of the trough but it had risen up was about an inch or two. this was stopping the water from draining and the water was going through the cabin filter and entering the car.
the filter was all black from mildew and stunk.
so i cleaned out the dirt from the bottom of the trough, pushed the drain boot down flush again and ordered a new cabin filter. i had a micronair filter FD05151P in it so i ordered a new one from them online.
looking at all the dirt, small leaves, etc in the trough made me realize that these boots need to be cleaned out periodically to keep them working properly. there are two. one on each side of the firewall and are easily reached and cleaned.
this was a very easy, quick solution and i hope it might help someone else with a similar problem.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2008   #2 (permalink)
stlwagon is offline MODERATOR

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon

Excellent find! Thanks for posting this up. I think I will copy your post to our tech links!
Unread 01-06-2008   #3 (permalink)
booger is offline Made Member

S197 Member

booger's Country Flag  View booger's 42 photos
Broomfield   Colorado
booger is on a distinguished road

Thanks 05mustanger. I will have to look at both of our Mustangs for this problem.
06 GT Legend Lime, Konig Beyonds, Hurst, JBA, Steeda stuff, MAC CAI, Sniper tuned, LT's, catted H pipe, VIS Racing CF heat extractor hood, Tokico D-Specs, Silver Horse Racing, LLR #0174

08 GT Performance White, Konig Beyonds, Legend Lime accents.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-10-2008   #4 (permalink)
glendon is offline Rookie

S197 Member

glendon's Country Flag
Long Beach   California
glendon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the post
I had exactly the same problem, great instructions for the fix

O5 GT
Unread 04-04-2008   #5 (permalink)
Mistagixxa is offline Rookie

Mistagixxa's Country Flag
Lexington   Kentucky
Mistagixxa is on a distinguished road
Default 05 Mustang water leak

Thanks for info. Kept finding other posted problems but no solutions. Just had leak today for first time in 3years--could see 1/2 inch of standing water on passenger side, and only noticed it after taking first turn & more water came splashing down from behind glove box.
Unread 04-05-2008   #6 (permalink)
R3dF1r3 is offline Made Member

S197 Member

R3dF1r3's Country Flag  View R3dF1r3's 10 photos  View R3dF1r3's HomePage
Seattle   Washington
R3dF1r3 is on a distinguished road

Please snap a picture of the area, it will help to check.

Thnx
C&L CAI with MAF, Steeda UP's, FR 4.10's, Predator "C&L-MAF" Tune, Borla 3" tip catbacks, Kooks LT/ Catted X-pipe, Nitto 255/45/18(F) 285/40/18(R), Steeda Springs, Tri-Ax, Adj Pan Hard, Camber plates, Cowel Hood, Tokico Adj Dampers.
dyno; 315 RWHP/ 320 RWTQ
Unread 04-05-2008   #7 (permalink)
Mark25 is offline Made Member

S197 Member

Mark25's Country Flag  View Mark25's 4 photos
Virginia Beach   Virginia
Mark25 is on a distinguished road

I went and took a look under the hood near the firewall, but I couldn't find these rubber drain boots...are they visible from the top of the engine bay or do you have to crawl under the Stang in order to see them?
I agree with R3dF1r3 a pic or two would really help. Thanks!

Current Stable:
2006 Mustang GT
2002 Nissan Maxima
2001 Corvette Coupe
2001 Chevy Blazer
Unread 04-05-2008   #8 (permalink)
Mark25 is offline Made Member

S197 Member

Mark25's Country Flag  View Mark25's 4 photos
Virginia Beach   Virginia
Mark25 is on a distinguished road

I went out and looked again and found them! They look like a small rectangular rubber box on the firewall rear of the engine block about 3/4 ways down, one on each side (i.e. driver side, passenger side). It was raining a little here and I could see that the water was dripping from them...I "squeezed" them a little and compressed the sides in order to open them up and sure enough a little bit of debris came out. I guess I will have to check them periodically. There's a picture of what the rubber drain "boxes" look like in this thread...

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Current Stable:
2006 Mustang GT
2002 Nissan Maxima
2001 Corvette Coupe
2001 Chevy Blazer
Unread 04-06-2008   #9 (permalink)
EatMice is offline Rookie

S197 Member

EatMice's Country Flag
Weston   Florida
EatMice is on a distinguished road
Default Passenger Side Water leak

Thanks so much for the information on what to do about this. I am new here and also have a GORGEOUS 2005 Mustang GT that I love. Last Friday, I washed it and then discovered that my passenger side floor was about 2 inches in water. I thought maybe I caused it with the hose, so just cleaned it and dried it good. Well, and yelled at myself a little. It rained really hard Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, I discovered at least 2 inches of water in the floor again. I looked around and discovered the seal on the bottom of my windshield looks slightly bent and seems to be letting water in. After hosing the car off again, I found that this was indeed where the water was entering. I wet vacced again and went to buy gas. My check engine light came on and then I was notified that I had a DTE (distance to empty) error. Then my hazard lights came on by themselves. Several times. Engine sounds and feels good, so I think it is electrical due to the water. Also, did I mention that the warranty expired in January? So, besides giving me information on how I need to fix this, does anyone have any information on what Ford might do about this since there is a TSB on this issue? Any help will be appreciated.
Unread 04-06-2008   #10 (permalink)
aircare84 is offline PONY Member

aircare84's Country Flag  View aircare84's 32 photos
Marysville   Ohio
aircare84 is on a distinguished road

I just fixed my leak issue on my 06 GT. I'd been watching this as 1 time last year I had a musty smell inside the car. No damp carpet or water. Had been checking the floor after every rain, no dampness.
Had to go away on business for a week & when I returned I found about 1/4-1/2" of water laying on pass side floor. Removed carpet & pad, dried,etc.
There is a large harness that enters the cabin behind the pass. side
inner fender splash shield. The feed-through grommet is where most folks are having the issue with. Pulled my inner fender & found mine not fully seated, the way the harness pulls on it, it'd be hard to get it in correctly. Mine had a nice gap @ the bottom. I sealed all around the grommet with an aviation sealer we use, but silicone or similar would work as well. I've attached photos of the culprit.Just above that area is where all the water funnels down from off the windshield,wiper area. Easy fix, took me about an hour total. The inner fenderwell is only held in place with plastic push-pins.

I did check my 'drains' in the cowl area first, but they were fine & not the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 Mustang rain water leak-dsc03746a.jpg  2005 Mustang rain water leak-dsc03747a.jpg  
20 Yrs of Mini-vans
Grabber Blue 1970 Boss 302
Lime Green 1969 Notchback Coupe
Maroon 1967 Vert
Unread 04-07-2008   #11 (permalink)

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircare84 View Post
I just fixed my leak issue on my 06 GT. I'd been watching this as 1 time last year I had a musty smell inside the car. No damp carpet or water. Had been checking the floor after every rain, no dampness.
Had to go away on business for a week & when I returned I found about 1/4-1/2" of water laying on pass side floor. Removed carpet & pad, dried,etc.
There is a large harness that enters the cabin behind the pass. side
inner fender splash shield. The feed-through grommet is where most folks are having the issue with. Pulled my inner fender & found mine not fully seated, the way the harness pulls on it, it'd be hard to get it in correctly. Mine had a nice gap @ the bottom. I sealed all around the grommet with an aviation sealer we use, but silicone or similar would work as well. I've attached photos of the culprit.Just above that area is where all the water funnels down from off the windshield,wiper area. Easy fix, took me about an hour total. The inner fenderwell is only held in place with plastic push-pins.

I did check my 'drains' in the cowl area first, but they were fine & not the problem.
Good find... That's quite the gap..
Unread 06-04-2008   #12 (permalink)
GoMomy is offline Registered

V6 Member
S197 Member

GoMomy's Country Flag
West Chester   Ohio
GoMomy is on a distinguished road
Default 05 passenger side leak

Thanks for the information on the leak...normally, the 'stang is in the garage, and I didn't notice this. Last night and this morning (while I was at work), we had MAJOR rain, and I found at least 2" of water sitting on the passenger side floor well, in the front. I read the post on how to fix it (the plastic windshield cowl being out of alignment) and am taking it in tomorrow to see if that's it. I'll let you know if that works!
Unread 06-04-2008   #13 (permalink)

Classic Member
S197 Member

Southern   Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMomy View Post
Thanks for the information on the leak...normally, the 'stang is in the garage, and I didn't notice this. Last night and this morning (while I was at work), we had MAJOR rain, and I found at least 2" of water sitting on the passenger side floor well, in the front. I read the post on how to fix it (the plastic windshield cowl being out of alignment) and am taking it in tomorrow to see if that's it. I'll let you know if that works!
Good luck. Hope they solve it.
Unread 06-04-2008   #14 (permalink)
1mach1 is offline BOSS Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

1mach1's Country Flag  View 1mach1's 79 photos
?   Virginia
1mach1 is on a distinguished road

Wow, this is a great post. Thanks for the info guys!
Unread 06-05-2008   #15 (permalink)
dllaffer is offline Rookie

dllaffer's Country Flag
Fort Wayne   Indiana
dllaffer is on a distinguished road
Default Leaking passenger side firewall/sidewall

I hade the same problem on my 06GT Vert.
Car was 2 months old when battery died, thought that was weird but could have been a bad battery.
It was parked uphill slightly (In driveway).
After a hard rain we came home to find the radio on full blast and the interior lights on. I had to pull fuses from panel on passenger sidewall to shut things off.
When I removed panel I felt water on the passenger floor.
I noticed a white plastic sheet hanging over the computer & fuse panel on pass. side.
Ford knows about the leak and the white plastic sheet was their quick fix.
I investigated further, found that most grommets were not properly seated and the seam between the sidewall where the door harness goes at the top was also leaking because no sealant was used where the 2 metal pieces are welded together.
Took it to the dealer with pictures of where it was leaking.
They sealed everywhere I could see and seated the grommets.
They also had to replace the computer and fuse panel (~$1000 total under Warranty) because water had got inside and corroded parts.
Have not had a leak since but now the trip odometer resets sometimes on it's own.
Probably another electrical problem to deal with.

The best way to test for water leak is get in the car with side plastic panel on passenger side ( where fuse panel is) removed with your head under the dash with flashlight. Have someone run a hose over the bottom of the windshield. Look for any water drops or streams running down either the firewall or the metal sidewall behind fuse panel.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162