Ford Mustang Forum banner

2007 V6 Slips into Neutral When Stopping and Going

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mr. Ugly 
#1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2007 V6 with about 150k miles on it. Drives completely fine, but when I pull up to a red light or stop sign, when I release the break and hit the gas, the engine revs a bit and then the car kicks forward. I'm not an expert but it definitely feels as though the car's slipped into neutral before popping back into gear. This doesn't happen every time I stop, and I haven't been able to find a common factor between all the occurrences (ie. hill, hot weather, etc.). Mechanic took the car for a lap around the block and the issue didn't happen so he couldn't help much. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Automatic?

Check the fluid level with the oil warm, engine running, and transmission in park.

If you've never changed the transmission oil, go ahead and do that. Don't due a flush. That can kick up stuff that will just clog up the valve body and solenoids. Just do 2 or 3 oil changes.

If you still have a problem after that, then check/overhaul solenoid pack and valve body.

While you have it opened, check/clean low/reverse servo. See if the bands and drums look burned or scored.

Do you have the problem in reverse? Low/reverse servo affects taking off in D/1st and reverse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.