Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 07-07-2009   #1 (permalink)
djpinaz is offline Rookie

djpinaz's Country Flag
Mesa   Arizona
djpinaz is on a distinguished road
Default GT 500 mufflers on 2005 Mustang V6?

I'm going to add to the numerous muffler questions that have been posted. Sorry if the answer to this is buried in the forums but couldn't find exactly the answer I was looking for.

I'm running a single Flowmaster on my V6 which I like. I debated going duals when I made the change last year but opted to go the easy/cheaper way.

Since then I got in a small fender bender and messed up my rear fascia. I got a deal on a used rear fascia that's the right color (legend lime) and it's from a GT. So now it's sitting in the garage waiting for me to make a change to duals. I'm considering just going take-offs to save money.
Questions are:
-Have the mounts changed any from 2005 through 2010? Will a takeoff from any of those years fit?
-Would takeoffs from any V8 work? I've heard some comments on making changes to duals on a V6 and problems with not enough back-pressure. Could I run into issues (performance or excessive "popping") with certain takeoffs? I have a chance to pick up takeoffs from a GT500 and that got me wondering this question.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

DP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2009   #2 (permalink)
amustangrocks is offline SHELBY GT 500 Member

amustangrocks's Country Flag  View amustangrocks's 81 photos  View amustangrocks's HomePage
Traverse City   Michigan
amustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpinaz View Post
I'm going to add to the numerous muffler questions that have been posted. Sorry if the answer to this is buried in the forums but couldn't find exactly the answer I was looking for.

I'm running a single Flowmaster on my V6 which I like. I debated going duals when I made the change last year but opted to go the easy/cheaper way.

Since then I got in a small fender bender and messed up my rear fascia. I got a deal on a used rear fascia that's the right color (legend lime) and it's from a GT. So now it's sitting in the garage waiting for me to make a change to duals. I'm considering just going take-offs to save money.
Questions are:
-Have the mounts changed any from 2005 through 2010? Will a takeoff from any of those years fit?
-Would takeoffs from any V8 work? I've heard some comments on making changes to duals on a V6 and problems with not enough back-pressure. Could I run into issues (performance or excessive "popping") with certain takeoffs? I have a chance to pick up takeoffs from a GT500 and that got me wondering this question.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

DP
welcome to the forums. i dont know enough about the gt500 mufflers to comment, but ive been running the gt takeoffs that are 80-90.00 a set and like them just fine. i cut my bumper. i dont think you have to worry about any backpressure issues. the cats are helping with that. as far as the popping goes however, i dont care what kind of muffler you have on the V6, ive heard alot of them, they all sound like crap being revved up in park when you back off the gas. they all have some of the ricy popping crap sound. but driving they sound great and on the gas pedal as well. its just the way the six is. someone will chime in about those mufflers.
Unread 07-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
Vista_Stang is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

Vista_Stang's Country Flag  View Vista_Stang's 17 photos
Minneapolis   Minnesota
Vista_Stang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Vista_Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
welcome to the forums. i dont know enough about the gt500 mufflers to comment, but ive been running the gt takeoffs that are 80-90.00 a set and like them just fine. i cut my bumper. i dont think you have to worry about any backpressure issues. the cats are helping with that. as far as the popping goes however, i dont care what kind of muffler you have on the V6, ive heard alot of them, they all sound like crap being revved up in park when you back off the gas. they all have some of the ricy popping crap sound. but driving they sound great and on the gas pedal as well. its just the way the six is. someone will chime in about those mufflers.
I don't really agree with what your saying about the V6 stangs sounding like rice at all it does depend on what set up you put on the car have you heard borla exhaust on the V6? I just got the GT takeoffs I had for months put on and it doesn't sound like rice it just doesn't sound like a GT....... But anyways I don't know about the GT500 mufflers on the V6 I have seen videos of them on a V6 and it sounded great, but I never have heard them in person.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 07-08-2009   #4 (permalink)

amustangrocks's Country Flag  View amustangrocks's 81 photos  View amustangrocks's HomePage
Traverse City   Michigan
amustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by poseidon View Post
I don't really agree with what your saying about the V6 stangs sounding like rice at all it does depend on what set up you put on the car have you heard borla exhaust on the V6? I just got the GT takeoffs I had for months put on and it doesn't sound like rice it just doesn't sound like a GT....... But anyways I don't know about the GT500 mufflers on the V6 I have seen videos of them on a V6 and it sounded great, but I never have heard them in person.
the v6 sounds great on the gas pedal. but if rev your car up in park, doesnt matter stock to borla, when you back off the gas, you will for certain hear that crackling down rev that sounds bad. check it out, you`ll see what i`m saying. its just the firing order of the v6. maybe not ricy, lets say european.
Unread 07-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
xchris is offline Made Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

xchris's Country Flag
Edgewater   Maryland
xchris is on a distinguished road

v6 mustangs jus sound like crap, the best i've heard was my own set up which was a straight y pipe and the only reason that sounded good was because of the turbo, all you could hear was the spool, up top though it sounded horrible though.

Thank god tomorrow i get to hear that v8 rumble :-)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
Unread 07-10-2009   #6 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Minneapolis   Minnesota

lol so your one of the ignorant people on this site that like to start problems sorry we all aren't lucky enough to have a rich mommy and daddy that buy us everything we want.

Anyways amustangrocks I did try it out in park and it does pop like you said but rice doesn't just pop it sounds like a weed wacker on crack lol
Unread 07-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
Vlad is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

Vlad's Country Flag  View Vlad's 11 photos
College Park   Maryland
Vlad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vlad

When buying my GT take-offs I found out that the GT500 Mufflers and GT mufflers are the same.
T-Lok, 3.73gears, Fitch Fuel Catalyst
Unread 07-13-2009   #8 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Minneapolis   Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
When buying my GT take-offs I found out that the GT500 Mufflers and GT mufflers are the same.
Im not 100% sure and excuse me if I'm wrong but doesn't the GT have an H and the GT500 has X pipe?? doesn't that change the sound even if you have the same mufflers? so basically if they both have the same muffler then to get something like a GT500 sound you just need a different pipe?
Unread 07-13-2009   #9 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

College Park   Maryland

Quote:
Im not 100% sure and excuse me if I'm wrong but doesn't the GT have an H and the GT500 has X pipe?? doesn't that change the sound even if you have the same mufflers? so basically if they both have the same muffler then to get something like a GT500 sound you just need a different pipe?
Yeah the sound is different between the two (h and x) and I though both had X pipes. Also the sound could be different cause its a 5.4L and supercharged.
Unread 07-14-2009   #10 (permalink)
dcmab is offline Apprentice

dcmab's Country Flag
Orlando   Florida
dcmab is on a distinguished road

wrong the gt500 use different mufflers
older ones are GTA and newer ones are the GTB mufflers. from ford racing. I have the GTAs on mine and love it!
Unread 07-14-2009   #11 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

College Park   Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmab View Post
wrong the gt500 use different mufflers
older ones are GTA and newer ones are the GTB mufflers. from ford racing. I have the GTAs on mine and love it!
Thats interesting because when I was searching and came across the mufflers it had the same number as GT.
Unread 07-14-2009   #12 (permalink)

Traverse City   Michigan

Quote:
lol so your one of the ignorant people on this site that like to start problems sorry we all aren't lucky enough to have a rich mommy and daddy that buy us everything we want.

Anyways amustangrocks I did try it out in park and it does pop like you said but rice doesn't just pop it sounds like a weed wacker on crack lol
ya, i`m sorry i used the "R" word. thats just a bad word. i like my car, the exaust sounds plenty good for me. i dont like that rev sound, so i just dont rev it up. i do however like the sound alot at wot
Unread 07-14-2009   #13 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

College Park   Maryland

well the poping i know is from the unburnt fuel. usually goes away once the car warms up
Unread 07-15-2009   #14 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Minneapolis   Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
ya, i`m sorry i used the "R" word. thats just a bad word. i like my car, the exaust sounds plenty good for me. i dont like that rev sound, so i just dont rev it up. i do however like the sound alot at wot
hey amustangrocks man I wasn't posting that comment to you I was saying that to xchris he posted saying all V6 mustangs just sound like crap and saying he is doing a V8 swap basically to be ignorant and start problems it wasn't directed towards you in any way. The only part directed at you was about when I tried out the rev in park
Unread 07-15-2009   #15 (permalink)

Traverse City   Michigan

Quote:
hey amustangrocks man I wasn't posting that comment to you I was saying that to xchris he posted saying all V6 mustangs just sound like crap and saying he is doing a V8 swap basically to be ignorant and start problems it wasn't directed towards you in any way. The only part directed at you was about when I tried out the rev in park
ya, i know. i dont like that popping, but you dont get that driving anyway, just reving which is no big deal. i have had so many compliments from people about the sound of my car, and i dig it too. nothing wrong with a V6 stang, its a fun car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162