Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you know your control arm bushing is worn out?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  07vistavert 
#1 ·
Alright so I have a 2008 Mustang V6 and there's this squeaky sound coming from my back left tire. It hadnt start making this sound until after I took it on some rough grass/dirt and it was really rough. Ever since then my back left tire occasionally makes this weird irritating squeaky sound I have two assumptions it can either be the shock or control arm bushing? I've already jacked up the car once and sprayed WD-40 on the bushing and that made the squeaking stop for about 3 days then later it came back. I really do not want to take it to the dealership and get charged more than is really needed. What else should I do before I buy a new part? Also could it be that something got caught in the spring somehow? I would greatly appreciate some advice. Thank you

#2 ·
Please do not sprya anymore WD-40 on their. That is only for squeeky metal parts, not frail rubber bushings. The WD-40 will now oil the part and collect dirt and grime.

Do be sure to take a good look at the upper and lower control arm bushings. Just see if the bushings are beginning to crack or brittle or fall apart. It wouldnt hurt to replace them, but then again it could be your shock like you were saying.

I would personally use this to my advantage and get new rear shocks and upper/lower control arms :smilie

#3 ·
Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade the LCA's and/or shocks. :)

I suggest putting a jack stand under the left axle tube and removing the tire. Confirm the stand is solidly in place. Then, have a friend push straight down on the fender. Listen from next to but not underneath the car. Hopefully, this will help you pinpoint the source of the noise.

Incidentally, I've made it practice to spray Armor All on all rubber bushings, CV joint boots, rack and pinion boots etc whenever I do an oil change or rotate the tires on any of my cars. It seems like this practice slows the aging/wear process somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.