Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-25-2011   #1 (permalink)
silverbullitt51 is offline PONY Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

silverbullitt51's Country Flag  View silverbullitt51's 31 photos
fenton   Missouri
silverbullitt51 is on a distinguished road
Default automatic transmission service

i have been told i have to take mine to a dealership to get the fluid changed or whatever needs to be done to it, just cuious as to what this costs to get done
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2011   #2 (permalink)
amustangrocks is offline SHELBY GT 500 Member

amustangrocks's Country Flag  View amustangrocks's 81 photos  View amustangrocks's HomePage
Traverse City   Michigan
amustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really nice

the price seems to change with the oil prices. its between $100-$150 for the flush. ive had it done 2 times myself. i didnt do the filter either time, but the next time i`ll do the filter. depending on the price, i might change the filter and add the 5 qts then take it for a flush,,,,or just have it done. i think it sucks the way its set up....as i do all my own work always.
Unread 05-25-2011   #3 (permalink)
silverbullitt51 is offline PONY Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

silverbullitt51's Country Flag  View silverbullitt51's 31 photos
fenton   Missouri
silverbullitt51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
the price seems to change with the oil prices. its between $100-$150 for the flush. ive had it done 2 times myself. i didnt do the filter either time, but the next time i`ll do the filter. depending on the price, i might change the filter and add the 5 qts then take it for a flush,,,,or just have it done. i think it sucks the way its set up....as i do all my own work always.
yeah i think its absolutely ridiculous you cant work on it yourself, i spent so long looking for a damn trans dipstick and finally had to ask someone who told me it was sealed and it had to be worked on by the dealership, but thanks, and how long does it ussually take to do?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-25-2011   #4 (permalink)

amustangrocks's Country Flag  View amustangrocks's 81 photos  View amustangrocks's HomePage
Traverse City   Michigan
amustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really nice

less than a hour, but the last time i spent a couple or more hours waiting. depends how busy they are. check to make sure they double clamp each of the 2 hoses after its done, and check there for any leaks too. the connections are on the pass side, near the radiator.

they messed me up last time, i asked that they replace the squeeze clamps with reg hose clamps but they only put 1 clamp on each line and left them loose. made for a extra trip back to have the level checked (after i added 2 more clamps myself) not to mention the worry about how much fluid i lost before i caught it. i was pretty hot about it. its not bad enough to have to take it to a dealer, but then they have to suck on top of that and do a crappy job. i swear, ive never had anything done right at a dealer. if that machine didnt cost $3-$4000.00 i would have one and do it myself.

i hope you have a better experience
Unread 05-26-2011   #5 (permalink)
silverstang2005 is offline Rookie

silverstang2005's Country Flag
Irving   Texas
silverstang2005 is on a distinguished road

I took mine to firestone and had it done for 129. A lot of places charge extra because there is no dipstick. I did a lot of calling around to find the best price, but it depends on what you have near you. I would have done it myself, but its too much hassle plus I dont want to screw anything up.
Unread 05-26-2011   #6 (permalink)

Traverse City   Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstang2005 View Post
I took mine to firestone and had it done for 129. A lot of places charge extra because there is no dipstick. I did a lot of calling around to find the best price, but it depends on what you have near you. I would have done it myself, but its too much hassle plus I dont want to screw anything up.
ya, this has been talked about alot on here. you can drop the pan, replace the filter, and replace the 5 or so qts of fluid ( out of 12 qts in the trans) with a hand pump and a thermometer. or just drain that amount and replace without doing the filter, but the flush is the only way to replace the 12 qts of fluid, and flushes the converter at the same time. ive thought about just doing the 5 and more frequently as to try to keep the fluid in better condition, but like you said its a hassle and would be like changing part of your motor oil, not so great.

the theory is being sealed, there is no way for contaminates to enter the trans, making it good for the life of the car or 100k. that couldnt be more untrue. at 50k, my red trans fluid was solid black. the temps break down the fluid, which in turn destroys the trans. the best thing you can do (imo) esp if you drive spirited, is change the fluid every 35k, and replace the filter after 3 flushes, or around 100k. my next flush gets a filter with it.

there are a couple other options out there, and i dont have the link any more for a deep trans pan that comes with a dipstick. but it was very expensive. the advantage there is it holds more fluid, less heat, and the level can be checked easily. also on the collective, there is a write up to make and install your own dipstick into the trans pan. though both these options are good ideas, they still wont replace all the fluid which is the real issue.
Unread 05-26-2011   #7 (permalink)
#1fordlover is offline MACH I Member

V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

#1fordlover's Country Flag  View #1fordlover's 54 photos
Fredonia   New York
#1fordlover is on a distinguished road

I know, I Hated that our Stangs came with No Dipstcik or way to see the Condition of the Tranny Fluid. I always do my own work and hate having to take it to a Dealer to have any work done especially for the Money they Charge for something I (Could Have Done Myself)
I did read that the (Sealed) Tranny is suppos-to be Better because most of the Dirt and Stuff get's into the Tranny Fluid through the Dip-Stick, even though I cant see how much dirt can get in through the Dip-Stick.
Now I know it's nice to see the Condition of the Tranny Fluid or if your Low, But if your Low your Low for a reason and should have known you had a Leak somewhere. Or if it's time for a Tranny Fluid Change you should also know the Miles you have on the Tranny and have it done anyway. So actually the Sealed Tranny just Sucks because you cant Change your own Fluid and have to Pay for someone to do it.
But if I have to Pay for someone to do it, it better be Done Right!
Here's a Question for all of you on Tranny Fluid....My Stang will be 4 Years Old this July, I now have about 8,880 Miles on it. FORD says to change the Fluid at 125.000 miles, this is way too Long and I'd Never wait that long. But when would you change your Tranny Fluid if you were me? I'll Never make it too even 25,000 miles when My Stang gets to 15 years Old, even though the Tranny Fluid only has 25,000 Miles on it it is still 15 Years Old. So now that My Tranny Fluid is 4 Years Old and only has 8,880 miles on it should I change it, and if not when????
FORD BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS
SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
Unread 05-28-2011   #8 (permalink)
Rake is offline PONY Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

Rake's Country Flag  View Rake's 23 photos
Mesa   Arizona
Rake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1fordlover View Post
So now that My Tranny Fluid is 4 Years Old and only has 8,880 miles on it should I change it, and if not when????
I'm not sure if there is a service life on Mercon V, so if I were you I'd just pick an interval and do it. If I was only driving 2k miles a year, and I was planning on owning this car indefinately, I'd probably do it every 5 years/10k miles. Seems like the safest bet.

In my particular case, I am also keeping my car indefinately, so I'm gonna do the 5 quart flush every couple years/25k miles.

Show - Black dd Bullitts with metal spinners, black fuel door, moon roof, trunk lettering, painted tail light trim and undercarriage

Go - CAI, race tune, alum. d/s, NT555's, GT muffler, slotted GT front rotors, front pads, front steel lines, DOT 5.1 fluid, stb, lca's
Unread 05-29-2011   #9 (permalink)
GilmourD is offline Apprentice

V6 Member
S197 Member

GilmourD's Country Flag
East Rutherford   New Jersey
GilmourD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake View Post
I'm not sure if there is a service life on Mercon V, so if I were you I'd just pick an interval and do it. If I was only driving 2k miles a year, and I was planning on owning this car indefinately, I'd probably do it every 5 years/10k miles. Seems like the safest bet.

In my particular case, I am also keeping my car indefinately, so I'm gonna do the 5 quart flush every couple years/25k miles.
I think the manual recommends doing it every 30K, but I did mine at 20K and I'll do the next at 40K, whenever I get there. LOL
1994 Mustang GT: 306 (Speedpro H273CP pistons, stock rods & crank, GT-40P heads, 5.0HO cam, Crane/FRPP 1.7 roller rockers), MAC GT-40P headers, Magnaflow catted H-pipe, Magnaflow cat-back, KYB shocks & struts, aluminum driveshaft, stock T5 Sold, but still in the family
Unread 07-04-2011   #10 (permalink)
mrfish is offline Rookie

V6 Member
S197 Member

mrfish's Country Flag  View mrfish's 9 photos
San Jacinto   California
mrfish is on a distinguished road

Will this pan fit the V6. I believe the GT and V6 have the same transmission. It's a factory pan with a dipstick.
2005-10 Mustang Transmission Pan & Dipstick Kit for 5R55s at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
Unread 07-04-2011   #11 (permalink)

Traverse City   Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfish View Post
Will this pan fit the V6. I believe the GT and V6 have the same transmission. It's a factory pan with a dipstick.
2005-10 Mustang Transmission Pan & Dipstick Kit for 5R55s at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
from what i understand, they have the same guts but the housings are different. thats nice they came out with a more affordable one than the alum deep pan for $300+. might have to call a good trans shop and ask them, i would like to know also. so if anyone finds out, post back here

there was also a diy writeup on the collective to tap your pan and make your own dipstick, it was pretty slick. but if that pan does fit, might be worth the $200.
Unread 07-04-2011   #12 (permalink)
mrfish is offline Rookie

V6 Member
S197 Member

mrfish's Country Flag  View mrfish's 9 photos
San Jacinto   California
mrfish is on a distinguished road

Both the V6 and Gt 5r55s take the same gasket and filter at Rockauto. Looks like they are both the same. Ford also lists the same pan for both. I will call LRS tomorrow.
Unread 07-04-2011   #13 (permalink)

Traverse City   Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfish View Post
Both the V6 and Gt 5r55s take the same gasket and filter at Rockauto. Looks like they are both the same. Ford also lists the same pan for both. I will call LRS tomorrow.
well that sounds like a winner!! it would be nice to be able to check it, and it would making draining and changing 5 qrts real easy. the flush would stil be the only way to replace all 13 qts, but maybe a few extra partial changes are better than nothing too. i`m also gonna install that trans cooler from am on mine real soon.
Unread 07-05-2011   #14 (permalink)
Markovich is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

Markovich's Country Flag
La Habra   California
Markovich is on a distinguished road

If you take it to the dealer, ask them before-hand if they are just going to replace 5qts and clean the filter, or are they going to replace all 12qts and put in a new filter.

It seemed logical to me that they would do the latter. I must be a sucker.
Unread 07-05-2011   #15 (permalink)
Oak Lawn Chris is offline Made Member

Oak Lawn Chris's Country Flag  View Oak Lawn Chris's 23 photos
Oak Lawn   Illinois
Oak Lawn Chris is on a distinguished road

Ford around here told me $210. I'm at 34xxx and bringing it in any week now. ('Course I've been saying that for weeks now)

I hate that you cant check or change yourself.

Also, I think that there is an age life on the trans fluid. I think Rake is right on with the 5 years either way, that's what I would do. 5 years is a long time even with low miles.

RWHP? Who cares!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164