Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-18-2012   #1 (permalink)
G.O. Stang is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

G.O. Stang's Country Flag  View G.O. Stang's 18 photos
Brenham   Texas
G.O. Stang is on a distinguished road
Default p061b code, Limp Mode, and some water near the PCM.

So today I was driving in the rain and suddenly my car jolts twice in a row. It stopped but every time I tried to accelerate after that it it jolted. It eventually got so bad I had to stop and shut the car off. After the second time it jolted, it went into limp mode. I looked over the engine bay and all looked good. I started it up and the rpm moved up and down a little. After awhile of sitting, it eventually stopped. I checked online and my codes and I threw the p061b code. I couldnt find a straight answer. I had a little water near the PCM. I checked the drainage hole near the cabin filter and it was dry. Any help? I drove home(about 60 miles) and had no problems. I'm confused. Help before I get stranded. Haha
SHOW: Raxiom 2010 Style Taillights, 1/4 Window Louvers, Supersnake Style Ram Air Hood, Magnetic Blackout, Black Torque Thrusts, Sequential Taillight Harness, Shaker 1000

Currently attending The School of Automotive Machinists in Houston.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2012   #2 (permalink)
05mystang is offline MACH I Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

05mystang's Country Flag
San Diego   California
05mystang is on a distinguished road

I just read a little on it and those codes indicate a calculation error in the PCM. Trying changing tunes and see if that helps
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-19-2012   #3 (permalink)
stars is offline GT Member

stars is on a distinguished road

You may already have read this, but if not:

“P061B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance
Description: Indicates a calculation error occurred in the powertrain control module (PCM).
Possible Causes:
Diagnostic Aids: Check for sensor and circuit related DTCs. Do not install a new electronic throttle body (ETB) for this DTC.”

There’s some sensors in the 5R55S transmission. Maybe one of those is developing an issue? May also want to check over the transmission wiring harness to make sure it's dry and making good contact.
Unread 02-19-2012   #4 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Brenham   Texas

I changed my tune and it didn't help. I was thinking maybe the transmission because of the way it jolted but everywhere else I read they talked about throttle. Where all is the transmission connected electronically?
SHOW: Raxiom 2010 Style Taillights, 1/4 Window Louvers, Supersnake Style Ram Air Hood, Magnetic Blackout, Black Torque Thrusts, Sequential Taillight Harness, Shaker 1000

Unread 02-19-2012   #5 (permalink)

Can’t say I’ve worked on a 5R55S to be of much practical help. The only reason I mentioned it is that the DTC indicates an issue with torque calculations and I know that some of the transmission sensor data is used for those calculations. The symptoms are inconsistent with a software bug. The time you had to wait to drive it home sounds like either a sensor cooling down and working again, or some water drying out. Here’s the wiring diagram for the transmission sensors, though that won’t tell you where they actually are (may help with Google searches). Could be unrelated though.
Attached Thumbnails
p061b code, Limp Mode, and some water near the PCM.-transmission_5r55s_102.jpg  
Unread 02-19-2012   #6 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Brenham   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
Can’t say I’ve worked on a 5R55S to be of much practical help. The only reason I mentioned it is that the DTC indicates an issue with torque calculations and I know that some of the transmission sensor data is used for those calculations. The symptoms are inconsistent with a software bug. The time you had to wait to drive it home sounds like either a sensor cooling down and working again, or some water drying out. Here’s the wiring diagram for the transmission sensors, though that won’t tell you where they actually are (may help with Google searches). Could be unrelated though.
Well I read that most people who got this code said it only happened when it was really cold or snowing. But it's sitting now so the water should dry out if that's the problem. It's just weird because I drove 60 miles and it started doing that about 10 miles til my destination. But then I drove all the way back with no problems.

Unread 02-19-2012   #7 (permalink)

I noticed you have a CAI. Any chance some water got through and got the MAF sensor wet? I would think that’d throw a MAF specific code, but an error there will cause the kind of symptoms you described (though I don’t know that it would affect PCM “torque calculations”).
Unread 02-19-2012   #8 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Brenham   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
I noticed you have a CAI. Any chance some water got through and got the MAF sensor wet? I would think that’d throw a MAF specific code, but an error there will cause the kind of symptoms you described (though I don’t know that it would affect PCM “torque calculations”).
I also considered that, but my filter was dry. It would make sense because I do have a ram air hood that is ducted to the filter, but if that were the case, I'd still see water where it was wet. I may try to clean the MAF and see if it helps. If anything, it's due for a cleaning anyway.

Unread 02-19-2012   #9 (permalink)

Did you inspect the MAF sensor itself for moisture, or just the filter element? I’m thinking that it may’ve been possible that the MAF sensor got splashed briefly by an event, then by the time you were able to check it the filter element may’ve presented as dry, as air had been sucking through it steady. (just throwing out some ideas)
Unread 02-20-2012   #10 (permalink)

V6 Member
S197 Member

Brenham   Texas

Okay I looked at the MAF and it had a little bit of oil from when I cleaned my air filter on it. But that was over 2 months ago. Why would that cause a problem now?

Unread 02-20-2012   #11 (permalink)

That fine wire element that you can see in it is actually a temperature sensor and depends on air flow moving over it for a reading. If it has an oil film the temperature won’t change in the expected way. I don’t know the full details of how the sensor works, but there may be another element located out of the airstream as a reference to compare the in-air element to. Either way it may’ve taken time for the oil to migrate to a location that would mess up the sensing. Best to just clean it with an appropriate cleaner and reinstall. May be a good idea to clean the air filter again to remove any excess oil that may still be present and hit it with a lighter dose this time.
Unread 02-20-2012   #12 (permalink)
FordService is offline OFFICIAL FORD REP.

FordService's Country Flag  View FordService's HomePage
Dearborn   Michigan
FordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O. Stang View Post
So today I was driving in the rain and suddenly my car jolts twice in a row. It stopped but every time I tried to accelerate after that it it jolted. It eventually got so bad I had to stop and shut the car off. After the second time it jolted, it went into limp mode. I looked over the engine bay and all looked good. I started it up and the rpm moved up and down a little. After awhile of sitting, it eventually stopped. I checked online and my codes and I threw the p061b code. I couldnt find a straight answer. I had a little water near the PCM. I checked the drainage hole near the cabin filter and it was dry. Any help? I drove home(about 60 miles) and had no problems. I'm confused. Help before I get stranded. Haha
Have you brought this up to your Ford dealer, G.O. Stang? Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can look into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
Unread 01-08-2014   #13 (permalink)
Kerig is offline Rookie

Kerig's Country Flag  View Kerig's 2 photos
Burlington   Ontario
Kerig is on a distinguished road
Default resolution?

Was there ever a resolution for this issue? I have an 09 V8 with the same issue that the dealer has been trying to correct for almost 2 years!
Unread 01-08-2014   #14 (permalink)
Kerig is offline Rookie

Kerig's Country Flag  View Kerig's 2 photos
Burlington   Ontario
Kerig is on a distinguished road

I did not know that Ford monitored these forums, I'm hoping you can help me with this I have been dealing with this ongoing issue for almost 2 years. below is a copy of my original post last winter and the same issue has arisen this winter. I have had to purchase a second vehicle because it is not reliable during the winter and since I live in Canada that is a somewhat of an issue.

Hi I am new to this forum and am in need of some help. I have seen others post similar issues but never a result. I have a 2009 GT convertable and live up in the great white north. Some of you will think i am crazy but only when it snows and your driving around the engine will all of a sudden get a hesitation (almost like a misfire) then it will slam into limp mode and not allow you to rev over 2.5 -3 RPM with a service engine light. It is like driving with an engine brake on. If you pull over and shut the car off it clears it and drives normally, sometime it will do it again right after but not normally. It does not do it all the time about every 2 weeks and as been an ongoing issue since November. I have managed to get the dealership to pull the code a couple times and it is only the P061B code which is internal torque calculation error. There is usually a second code that accompanies that code but there is none.

The dealership has had the vehicle 5 times and can't figure it out either they have contacted Ford Canada but they seemed just as dumbfounded at the issue. To make matters worse not that i am complaining but it is finally heating up here and am concerned the issue is just going to go dorment until next winter. The reason i am worried about this is that i have the extended warantee plan and at least right now everything is being covered under warantee but may not be next winter. Does anyone have any feedback to what there experience is. The dealership has allready replaced the TPS, Throttle body, MASS sensor and just did the Crank shaft position sensor.

Any help is much appreciated!
Unread 01-09-2014   #15 (permalink)
rolleffintide is offline Rookie

rolleffintide's Country Flag
Crestview   Florida
rolleffintide is on a distinguished road

Well it almost sounds like a transmission shift solenoid issue. but without being there to diagnose it is hard to say.

Well stupid me i searched the issue and it seems it could be TPS related as well. that is the most simple and cheapest thing to diagnose and look at first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162