2007 Mustang V6 Standard Transmission Oil Change - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012 Thread Starter
Question 2007 Mustang V6 Standard Transmission Oil Change

Hey guys, new to the forums here.

Had a question. I own a 2007 Ford Mustang, V6 with a standard transmission. Bought it used with 29,000 miles from a ford dealership about 2 years ago. I was new to standards back then and I guess I still can be considered new.

I've changed the oil, oil filter, etc on the car many times... but what I could never figure out, was where to actually change the transmission fluid? Or does the car not have transmission fluid? If it does, where can I locate it? And what kind of fluid does it take?

(I assume the dealer changed the oil/fluid before it was put on the lot to sell, but since then, its not been changed)

Would appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
PONY Member
Classic Member
There are two plugs on the transmission, drain and fill. Remove both with a 3/8 socket wrench without an attachment. You may need a stubby extension to get the upper plug. Drain and refill using a pump until it reaches the bottom of the upper hole. If I recall correctly, it's just under 3 quarts.

Ford uses Mercon ATF. Yes...ATF in a manual transmission. Check your owner's manual. A lot of people replace it with Amsoil or Mobil 1 ATF.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012 Thread Starter
Thanks for replying!

About how often should that be changed? Once every 6 months? More often than an automatic transmission?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012
I think the Ford recommended drain/refill or manual transmissions is 100,000 miles.

That said, I changed the fluid in mine at 9000 miles and noticed a lot of initial break-in wear particles (it looked fairly metallic).

The AMSOIL website is a great tool. Even if you don't buy AMSOIL products, their on-line ordering can tell you capacities for the various cars systems.

I out the AMSOIL full synthetic ATF in my GT's manual transmission. It uses he same fluid as the v6 manual trans as well.

2006 Legend Lime Mustang GT/Manual Trans/some mods(tired of updating) 13.257 @ 109.36 on stock 18 fanblades and stock BGFs wth CAI, tune, UDPs
1967 Lime Gold Galaxie 500 XL/390 4bbl/Toploader
1966 Mustang Coupe/bare metal (rebuild in process-slowly)/engine&trans TBD
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page