Ford Mustang Forum banner

Help! 2008 V6 rattling under hood upon bumps and click upon turning

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  09v6 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 V6 Mustang Convertible. I am experiencing rattling that sounds like its coming from under my hood every time I hit a bump (and when I say rattling its AWFUL!). We replaced the shocks hoping it would fix the problem but it did not. I am thinking it may be the bushings but before I spend money buying parts again I would like to see if that's what it sounds like. Also last week I noticed that when I turn my car makes a click sound. Its not multiple clicks only one and it does it on both sides although I have noticed the left side more, especially when I am parking, so I'm not going very fast at all. Any suggestions??

#2 ·
Is the clicking like a hollow, metallic sounding clunk? Might be tie rod ends wearing out. Jack the front up then grasp a wheel and pull on it and see if there's any play- if there is, tie rods may need replacing.

#4 ·
You should replace your inner and outer tie rods and your lower control arms. This maintenance should be done together, since alignment is needed after all these replacements. It is best to do them all together. I recommend upgrading to the FRPP lower control arms. You can pick up any brand of inner and outer tie rods as long as they are backed by a good warranty. Don't go cheap on your control arms.

#5 ·
Before I spent all that coin I'd try to narrow down which part is bad. If you're getting a click when the car is stationary it's more than likely a bad inner tierod. If it turns out to be a bad inner tierod it'd probably be cheaper to get a "new" re-man power steering rack (which comes w/ new inner rods) and put it in yourself vs having a shop replace the inner's. Replacing inner tierods isn't exactly the most first timer friendly diy job, while a "first timer" can change out a steering rack.
To check and see if it's a bad ball joint jack up the front and grab on to the wheel with your hands north and south of each other. Push at the top and pull and the bottom. If there's some wiggle, you need a new bj. If you need new bj's then decide whether or not you want to replace the balljoints or buy a new control arms as they come with new balljoints. If you choose the new balljoint route, Moog makes some good ones that are around $50 each but they're a pain to put in and a shop will charge somewhere in the ball park of $300 for install. New control arms will also cost around $350 but they might be a doable project.
At any rate, my money is on a bad balljoint.
Side note: Outer tierods are cheap and an orangutan could change them. I'd put on new ones and chalk it up to routine maintenance.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.