Ford Mustang Forum banner

AC Clutch not turning on after transmission repair

926 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  MirageII 
#1 ·
The clutch pedal in my daughter's 2005 V6 (150k miles on the original) went limp so I had it towed to my favorite shop. The input bearing retainer on the Tremec broke, and according to the counter man at Ford parts, this is a common problem. They replaced that along an entire new clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, bearing) and refaced the flywheel. All that is now working great.

The problem now is that the AC is not blowing cold air.

This shop works primarily on classics so modern electrics are not their thing. In fact they consult me on many electrical issues. When I picked up the car it had no AC but the engine light was on. I read the faults from the OBD2 and there were several. I figured all that was due to disconnecting the battery and O2 sensors around the transmission to access it. So I rest the codes and drove the car- no code reappeared and everything else works perfectly.

Dash indicators show the system on, but the AC clutch does not engage. Pressure on the low side of the system is 110psi- a full charge.

I have a Haynes manual for this car but it's not helpful for AC specifics. I don't know where the low pressure cut-off switch is- there are no electrical connectors running to the accumulator that I can see- and I traced all the hoses and tubes under the hood.

Before I get the car up on a lift and begin a full diagnosis, can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

See less See more
#3 ·
Good advice, and easy enough to check with jumper wires. Just odd that it happened now. It'll have to wait until Monday though- gotta get out of Dodge for the weekend.

#4 ·
Well it was a fuse. Traced that back to a pinched wire, actually 16 pinched wires, 4 from each O2 sensor, that the mechanic had accidently squashed in between the bell housing and transmission. That also explains the whole bunch of codes thrown. He's been fixing it now for about day four, not happy with his mistake, which I'm told is fairly common.

#7 ·
Oh he's doing it on his dime all right. Actually a whole trunk full of them. A measure of a man in not if he makes mistakes, but how he corrects them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.