Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Howling Noise From 3:73 Gears And T-Loc Installed In 2006 Mustang! How Can I Fix?

5K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  retr05 
#1 ·
recently had 3:73 gears (fomoco) and a T-loc installed. Now the damm thing howls all the time,very annoying. Anyone have the same problem and/or hints on how to correct it??? other than putting banana peals in the differential

#3 ·
Take it back to where you had it done.

I had my Ford dealer do my T-LOK install (Stock gears with 38k).

Absolutely ZERO noise (except from tires)...

Hopefully it didn't already damage the gears or T-LOK.

SOHC

#4 ·
yup, your gonna want to get that fixed. I've read plenty of horror stories of that kinda thing happening.. thats why i never bought gears yet, but when i buy my blower in a yr or so imma have them do my gears while they are at it.. lol just hope it goes ok.. n doesnt have a Howling noise..

#5 ·
its either a bad gear setup like stl mentioned or the pinion bearings were overtorqued and now they are takin a dump. either way its bad, but the bearings if thats what is bad will only make noise for so long before they cease to spin resulting in a locked up rear. dont hold out too long to have it looked at.

#6 ·
had the rear end checked today,,,the cars...The installer sais all the settings were correct,no apparent wear on the ring and pinion.Something was a .005 off and he corrected that. Bearing were/are new and ok. Suggested a Lucas additive to reduce the noise and get somemore miles on it. Then if it still makes the noise to check back where I got the gears and see if I can exchange them. Hmmm

#9 ·
You didn't go around doing wild, crazy burnouts in the first 500 miles and driving 110mph did you?

#10 ·
nope no burnouts for a couple hundred miles and not over 70mph,,for quite awhile yet.Only 87at the strip...
was advised to put some Lucas synthetic gear lube in it to quiet it down a bit.
Hope some of the noise gets dampened with the new driveshaft and axle housing cover.

#18 ·
#17 ·
When i looked into going with tracloc and better gears a guy at randy's ring and pinion, told me to go with something diffrent than 3.73 gears icannot remember the make, but he said they have a tendency to houl. I thnk he recommend the ford gear set up, anyway i bought a complete 8.8 take out axle from a company with 4.10's yet to put in in tho may never, Im trying to sell my car to upgared to a GT, Ill save the 4.10's for the Gt maybe

#26 ·
I just spoke to the Ford Racing Rep @ the dealer and had a long talk with him bout the t-loc unit. He said it all comes down to the install and getting the shims right. That if they are done wrong that it will howl or screech like crazy.

#27 ·
Noise... not surprised

I have a buddy who is a Ford Mechanic, he told me that some rear end housings on the 05 Mustang were not machined correctly during the first production runs ( specifically pinion bearing outer race registers). If you have a bad housing you will chase the correct gear setup forever and never get it right. He said a bad housing will always whine a little no matter what.For what it's worth....

#28 ·
RE: Molly-B-Denim

Yup, I was a Nuclear Machinist Mate in the U.S. Navy, and molybdenum disulfide (I thought I remember it being disulfate though) is what we used on many of the engineering components. We just used to call it Molly-B-Denim. If it's good enough for a Navy Submarine then........

#31 ·
Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me a shop in the los angeles, california area or any nearby surrounding area that I could get gears installed. Preferably someone who has had it done as opposed to just any shop.

#34 ·
in retrospect,I think if I were to do it again I would go with the entire GT rear end take off,if I could get the gears and the t-loc with it.
I just didnt have the time.place or tools to do that swap. Total money spent,on gears,t-loc and install would be close enough for me to justify (next time)buying the take-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.