Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2011 - 2014 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011-2014 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 11-01-2010   #1 (permalink)
JohnRichard is offline GT Member

JohnRichard's Country Flag  View JohnRichard's 14 photos
Oklahoma City   Oklahoma
JohnRichard is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Mustang GT-Ford ProCal Tune DTC error code P0315

I installed a Ford Tune on my car Friday… followed each step by the instructions sent with the tuner…DTC P0315, Crankshaft Position (CKP) System Variation Not Learned…
I guess a trip to Ford to resolve this issue is next…
Every thing I find goggling the code references a lighting pickup… did I get the wrong tune?
Disconnecting the positive on the battery then turning on the head lights did not clear it, going back to the stock tune did not clear it…
Has anyone else seen this issue? Any resolve?
Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2010   #2 (permalink)
ptoemmes is offline Rookie

ptoemmes's Country Flag
SouthEast   Florida
ptoemmes is on a distinguished road

cababah did: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2257167

I imagine he'll comment in due course.

Pete
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 11-01-2010   #3 (permalink)
cababah is offline GT Member

cababah's Country Flag
SF Bay Area   California
cababah is on a distinguished road

Don't go to the dealer!

The first time I got this code, that is what I did (went to dealer) and they had an engineer come out and after driving my car for 10 miles or so they finally cleared the code. After they cleared it, I immediately went back to install the FRPP tune and the P3015 code never showed up. Keep in mind, the code also would not go away if I put the car back to stock. The dealer at first was saying I needed a new PCM since they couldn't clear the code if you read more in my thread

However, I have since installed this tune several times and each time I do it, I have noticed that this code will show up. You can keep trying to clear the DTC with the procal unit itself and the code will probably just keep coming back immediately.

The solution is this:
The code will not hurt your car so just drive the car around for 10-15 miles varying the rpm's and see if it goes away. If it is like mine and does not, after driving for 10-15 miles, find somewhere to stop the car like in a parking lot while it is running and hook up the procal tuner and go into one of the settings called "profile learning" or something and it says to blip the throttle past 3k rpms and once you do this one or two times, the code should disappear. After it goes away, you can go back and verify the code is gone by checking for DTC's.

I have also called Rey (technical support) at Ford Racing and he said that getting the P3015 code is unique to the 2011 mustangs and that it should go away on it's own after driving the car for a while and that it won't hurt anything. I recommended that Ford Racing update their instructions for the 2011 mustang to compensate for users getting this code and thinking there is something wrong.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions. Being the guinea pig was not fun for me.

For more technical info and confirmation, call Ford Racing technical support:

Tech Line (800) FORD788

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Unread 11-01-2010   #4 (permalink)

Oklahoma City   Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
Don't go to the dealer!

The first time I got this code, that is what I did (went to dealer) and they had an engineer come out and after driving my car for 10 miles or so they finally cleared the code. After they cleared it, I immediately went back to install the FRPP tune and the P3015 code never showed up. Keep in mind, the code also would not go away if I put the car back to stock. The dealer at first was saying I needed a new PCM since they couldn't clear the code if you read more in my thread

However, I have since installed this tune several times and each time I do it, I have noticed that this code will show up. You can keep trying to clear the DTC with the procal unit itself and the code will probably just keep coming back immediately.

The solution is this:
The code will not hurt your car so just drive the car around for 10-15 miles varying the rpm's and see if it goes away. If it is like mine and does not, after driving for 10-15 miles, find somewhere to stop the car like in a parking lot while it is running and hook up the procal tuner and go into one of the settings called "profile learning" or something and it says to blip the throttle past 3k rpms and once you do this one or two times, the code should disappear. After it goes away, you can go back and verify the code is gone by checking for DTC's.

I have also called Rey (technical support) at Ford Racing and he said that getting the P3015 code is unique to the 2011 mustangs and that it should go away on it's own after driving the car for a while and that it won't hurt anything. I recommended that Ford Racing update their instructions for the 2011 mustang to compensate for users getting this code and thinking there is something wrong.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions. Being the guinea pig was not fun for me.

For more technical info and confirmation, call Ford Racing technical support:

Tech Line (800) FORD788

Fixed....
had to blip it three times on the performance cal
Thanks for all of your help...
Unread 11-01-2010   #5 (permalink)
cababah is offline GT Member

cababah's Country Flag
SF Bay Area   California
cababah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
Fixed....
had to blip it three times on the performance cal
Thanks for all of your help...
no problem, what are your thoughts on the tune itself? how do you like it?

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Unread 11-01-2010   #6 (permalink)

Oklahoma City   Oklahoma

Quote:
Well I haven’t really drove the car much with the tune, I only have now 200 miles on the car and I am dropping it off at Ford today to have the GT handling pack installed…
I sort of cheated a little… I put a C&L no tune CAI on the car and after I get it back from ford I think I will pull the restrictor out of the CAI and see if I get an engine light…
I plan on taking it to the dyno in a couple of weeks to see what kind of power I am getting as well as checking the A/F ratio
The mechanic can’t remember his name at Lakewood Fordland is excited about installing the handling and said he would check the tune out as well on his scope…
As far as telling, I never really flogged the car before the tune…
Unread 11-01-2010   #7 (permalink)
Modshack is offline Made Member

Modshack's Country Flag  View Modshack's HomePage
Greenville   North Carolina
Modshack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I sort of cheated a little… I put a C&L no tune CAI on the car and after I get it back from ford I think I will pull the restrictor out of the CAI and see if I get an engine light…
I wouldn't do that without a tune change! (and I doubt Ford will have that available for a part they do not make). Removal of The restrictor in the CAI will totaly change the airflow over the MAF resulting in a reduced fuel signal o the ECU. You'll run lean without a specific tune to deal with the MAF signal issues..
Unread 11-03-2010   #8 (permalink)

Oklahoma City   Oklahoma

Quote:
Now after a couple of days and 100 plus miles, I don’t, I went back to my original tune… I tried it with the stock CAI and K&N filter, the C&L CAI no tune required seen no difference… original tune factory CAI and K&N filter ran better removed factory CAI reinstalled C&L a little difference to the good…
I am going to talk to FRPP and see why it idols so rough and why it has a lag at low RPMs… wakes up hard at 4500 and above Not to impressed but I will check first to see if I can get it resolved.
One other thing that concerns me, I was told by a salesman at FRPP that the tune would not void my warranty… I was told by a service manger at a local Ford shop it would… mass confusion…
Unread 11-03-2010   #9 (permalink)
AMChrisRose is offline Site Sponsor

AMChrisRose's Country Flag  View AMChrisRose's HomePage
Malvern   Pennsylvania
AMChrisRose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I installed a Ford Tune on my car Friday… followed each step by the instructions sent with the tuner…DTC P0315, Crankshaft Position (CKP) System Variation Not Learned…
I guess a trip to Ford to resolve this issue is next…
Every thing I find goggling the code references a lighting pickup… did I get the wrong tune?
Disconnecting the positive on the battery then turning on the head lights did not clear it, going back to the stock tune did not clear it…
Has anyone else seen this issue? Any resolve?
Thanks
Hey, does that Ford ProCal tool allow you to read the "Strategy Code" or the PCM calibration code? We're curious, because we might be able to shed some light on this issue if we can pull up the Calibration and take a look at it. We need this code, though.
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
Unread 11-08-2010   #10 (permalink)
bubbajones is offline Made Member

bubbajones's Country Flag
Houston   Texas
bubbajones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now after a couple of days and 100 plus miles, I don’t, I went back to my original tune… I tried it with the stock CAI and K&N filter, the C&L CAI no tune required seen no difference… original tune factory CAI and K&N filter ran better removed factory CAI reinstalled C&L a little difference to the good…
I am going to talk to FRPP and see why it idols so rough and why it has a lag at low RPMs… wakes up hard at 4500 and above Not to impressed but I will check first to see if I can get it resolved.
One other thing that concerns me, I was told by a salesman at FRPP that the tune would not void my warranty… I was told by a service manger at a local Ford shop it would… mass confusion…
I'm having trouble deciphering your first paragraph, but Cold Air Intakes require a tune to handle the increased air flow. The FRPP tune does not do this. Are you saying it runs rough with CAI, but is fine with the stock airbox?

Ford Motor Company will not cover damage caused by your Ford Racing Tune. They are different companies. Ford Racing will theoretically cover something that breaks because of the Ford Racing tune, but that's only 3 years instead of 5. And there's the possibility that FoMoCo and FRPP will blame each other.

Hopefully you won't fall in the grey area.
Unread 11-30-2010   #11 (permalink)
konablue5oh is offline Apprentice

konablue5oh's Country Flag
Houston   Texas
konablue5oh is on a distinguished road

I installed the FRPP power upgrade (M-FR1-MGTB) tune a week ago. Havent seen any DTC showing up like that P0315 error code. So either they solved it or maybe car specific (my car was built 9/1/10).
Unread 01-14-2011   #12 (permalink)
mac1 is offline Rookie

mac1's Country Flag
Texas   Texas
mac1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by konablue5oh View Post
I installed the FRPP power upgrade (M-FR1-MGTB) tune a week ago. Havent seen any DTC showing up like that P0315 error code. So either they solved it or maybe car specific (my car was built 9/1/10).
IM looking at getting just the tune and filter done here in Houston at mac Heil, they have told me along with FRPP that it will not void any warrantee whatsoever on it.

What are your thought on the tune, I think i remembered you saying that you heard a ping on it in another thread ?

Ive got a 2011 GT /MT / 3.73 rear / Brembo's / borla atak cat-back
Unread 01-14-2011   #13 (permalink)

Houston   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1 View Post
What are your thought on the tune, I think i remembered you saying that you heard a ping on it in another thread ?
I liked it - seemed like it had more grunt at lower RPM's which is nice for daily driving and the skip shift is disabled - until I heard it pinging. As I said only happened when I floored it. Never heard it pinging otherwise.
Anyway, I took the FRPP tune off the car and run now with a bama tune. Havent heard any pinging noise with it.

Initially I wanted the power package installed at the dealer too for the warranty. When I found out it would cost $600 to install the package (the package with the mufflers), I decided to do it myself.
Unread 01-15-2011   #14 (permalink)

Oklahoma City   Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by konablue5oh View Post
I liked it - seemed like it had more grunt at lower RPM's which is nice for daily driving and the skip shift is disabled - until I heard it pinging. As I said only happened when I floored it. Never heard it pinging otherwise.
Anyway, I took the FRPP tune off the car and run now with a bama tune. Havent heard any pinging noise with it.

Initially I wanted the power package installed at the dealer too for the warranty. When I found out it would cost $600 to install the package (the package with the mufflers), I decided to do it myself.

First, did you set the ProCal to Y for fuel octane adjustment?
I would even if you can get 93 octane gas...
Never take it for granted that the gas you are buying really is the octane it claims to be...
A human put the gas in the stores tanks... what if the driver made a mistake...
My livin owns a Shell station and she said it has happen...
All so, only use name brand gas, never the stop and go stuff...
Second, sounds really high for a dealer to install an air filter, two mufflers and a tune that takes about 25 minutes to run...
maybe a couple hours of labor total... I was quoted 95 bucks to install the FRPP Sport mufflers and to me... that was too high...
I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Unread 01-15-2011   #15 (permalink)

Houston   Texas

Quote:
First, did you set the ProCal to Y to adjust for fuel?
I would even if you can get 93 octane gas...
Second, sounds really high for a dealer to install an air filter, two mufflers and a tune that takes about 25 minutes to run...
maybe a couple hours of labor total...
I had Octane adjust set to "N" per the instructions. I believe the FRPP tune is a 91 oct tune even when set to "N" so should have been safe with 93 gas I was using (Chevron). When the tank was empty, filled up 93 at another Chevron station and the result was the same.

No argument here that that price is high. I called 3 Ford dealers in Houston and they all quoted the same. Even when I argued it would take max 2 hrs work, they held firm on that price. Well, they got nothing in the end ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164