Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2011 - 2014 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011-2014 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

View Poll Results: Are you experiencing rough/notchy/stiff shifting with your MT82 6-Speed?
Yes, I am experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 158 67.81%
No, I am not experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 75 32.19%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 04-21-2011   #3016 (permalink)
KillChallengers is offline Apprentice

V6 Member
S197 Member

KillChallengers's Country Flag
Toronto   Ontario
KillChallengers is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry for the repost, but this summarizes my problems more succinctly and accurately than my previous post.

Okay, Here goes!!

I have a 2012 Mustang V6 3.7L, Stock, 450kms, owned it for less than a week at the time of this post. I noticed my shifting was notchy/balky, grinding when cold and a metallic noise.

Notchy/Balky:

- Occurs 0-1, 1-2, 2-3 and occasionally with other gears.
- Two-step notchiness, it is like I hit a notch when shifting into gear and then it goes into gear.
- When cold it is worse

Grinding:

- Occurs only from 1-2 when car is operating cold.
- I have let the car idle for 15 minutes before moving it and I still run into the grind on 1-2 shift. As I drive, it goes away.

Metallic Noise:

- Occurs from 1-2 shift.
- Only when cold, shift into 2nd can, rarely, be accompanied by a metallic scraping noise.

Stipulations to my driving:

- I have driven a manual for years, did all my driver's tests and learned to drive on a manual.
- I always fully depress clutch and still receive these problems

What I Want:

- Problem to be remedied. I love the car to death, it is beautiful and sounds amazing (minus the obvious grinding etc. lol).
- I am going to go into my dealer asap.

I live in Canada, is there a different complaint reporting centre for us other than the nhtsa.gov?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2011   #3017 (permalink)
jmatero is offline Banned

jmatero's Country Flag
San Jose   California
jmatero is on a distinguished road

You should still be able to post unlessmthe system rejects your VIN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 04-21-2011   #3018 (permalink)
guitarhurricane is offline PONY Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

guitarhurricane's Country Flag  View guitarhurricane's 6 photos  View guitarhurricane's 4 classified ads
Bay Area   California
guitarhurricane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillChallengers View Post

Grinding:

- I have let the car idle for 15 minutes before moving it and I still run into the grind on 1-2 shift. As I drive, it goes away.

Metallic Noise:

- Occurs from 1-2 shift.
- Only when cold, shift into 2nd can, rarely, be accompanied by a metallic scraping noise.
1) Get the fluid change, it should alleviate your cold shifting issues. If you don't want the fluid change, skip 2nd for the first few minutes of driving, so you allow the tranny fluid to warm up.
2) I've got a feeling that many of the people who are experiencing normal operating temperature grinding, are the same people forcing the tranny into 2nd when cold, when it resists.
3) Letting the car idle will do ZILCH to warm the transmission fluid. When idling, there's nothing moving around in the transmission to heat up the fluid.
4) If it grinds when shifting into 2nd when cold, don't shift into 2nd when cold.

Mine resists going into 2nd when cold...I shift to third for the first few minutes of driving, after that, it slides right into 2nd, no problems. To this point, I haven't had a single grind when shifting... 3,400 miles at the moment.
Unread 04-21-2011   #3019 (permalink)
1972mach1 is offline PONY Member

1972mach1's Country Flag  View 1972mach1's 26 photos
Kingston   Ontario
1972mach1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky View Post
I have forwarded it internally, so they were made aware of it. Whether anything has become of it I don't know; nobody has got back to me personally and I haven't heard anything from Ross that anyone has contacted him directly.
If they try to "take you out" in the middle of the night, use your NINJA skills!

2011 Performance White GT500 SVTPP SOLD

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
Unread 04-21-2011   #3020 (permalink)

Kingston   Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlouie View Post
I just wanted to mention something I noticed. After reading the post about the shims I got to thinking more about the shifter linkage rather than the transmission itself. It made me also think about that flimsy looking shifter bracket so I started experimenting. Oddly enough on my 1 -> 2 shift, if I apply significant pressure to the left (towards the driver's door) while pulling back to 2nd, I have in the past week or so been unable to reproduce the "kick-back and/or grind feel" the shifter often gave me. It still has a notch to go through but nothing I would've complained of.

Maybe that flimsy shifter bracket kind of loosens up over time and that's why things were good when the car was new and deteriorated?

It is still difficult sometimes to get into 1st, and the 2 -> 3 shift has some notchiness but my biggest complaint was the 1 -> 2 shift and its significant resistance and how it would kick back against my hand and feel like things were grinding. So far my car has never had the significantly audible metal-to-metal grind that jmatero's video shows.
  • I'm still running the original <acronym title="transmission"><acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym></acronym> fluid. It is getting warmer out and is less irritating so I'm going to wait it out on changing the fluid.
  • I often have to apply extra pressure to get it into 1st.
  • My 1 -> 2 shift is the worst symptom where the shifter vibrates and kicks back against my hand. Sometimes it is smooth as butter. Other times the complete opposite.
  • My 2 -> 3 shift is notchy but not something I would on its own take the car in for warranty work.
  • Over the winter I did take my car to the dealership and had Deysha open me a case number. The dealer said they were unable to reproduce the symptoms.
  • My symptoms appear to be worse when it is cold out but I have had them surface on a 75 degree day.
As if you are attempting to snap the thing off? I told you it makes the shift better. It doesn't always work and I've only done it a handful of times because I don't want to break it (it's plastic under there). There really could be something to it.

Unread 04-21-2011   #3021 (permalink)

Kingston   Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillChallengers View Post
I'm sorry for the repost, but this summarizes my problems more succinctly and accurately than my previous post.

Okay, Here goes!!

I have a 2012 Mustang V6 3.7L, Stock, 450kms, owned it for less than a week at the time of this post. I noticed my shifting was notchy/balky, grinding when cold and a metallic noise.

Notchy/Balky:

- Occurs 0-1, 1-2, 2-3 and occasionally with other gears.
- Two-step notchiness, it is like I hit a notch when shifting into gear and then it goes into gear.
- When cold it is worse

Grinding:

Metallic Noise:

- Occurs from 1-2 shift.

Stipulations to my driving:

- I have driven a manual for years, did all my driver's tests and learned to drive on a manual.
- I always fully depress clutch and still receive these problems

What I Want:

- Problem to be remedied. I love the car to death, it is beautiful and sounds amazing (minus the obvious grinding etc. lol).
- I am going to go into my dealer asap.

I live in Canada, is there a different complaint reporting centre for us other than the nhtsa.gov?
Take it to the Dealership(s) first and go through the steps...

Transport Canada is here Contact Us - Transport Canada

Unread 04-21-2011   #3022 (permalink)
white_stallion is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

white_stallion's Country Flag
Denver   Colorado
white_stallion is on a distinguished road

I'm hearing my symptoms are not shifter related but clutch/tranny. I'm going to have yet another go round trying to get this fixed. If I had the dosh a corvette would be in order. WRX is great but lacks the tq of a V8. Challenger is about as expensive as a Vette and camaro needs a new steering wheel and to lose some weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajones View Post
Dude, for your own mental health, lemon the car. There are legal means for you to get a refund. There's no reason for you to martyr yourself on our account. Heaven help you if you miss your lemon law window and Ford still never resolves this issue.

If you're not happy with the other muscle cars, check out the RX-8. Lacks the raw power, but it's one of the best handling cars ever built with a back seat. The mpg does suck.

On the plus side, they can be had pretty cheaply.

Mazda has its own share of snafus, though. They overrated the Miata horsepower one year, and on another year they incorrectly listed skid control as an included feature, on the sticker.

In both cases they offered customers the option of either a buy back or a very generous service contract.

Every RX-8 owner I have met loves his car. WRX owners are pretty happy as well.

If you don't need the back seat, get a Corvette.

If you can spare a little more money, get a current S4. Audi does have two active recalls though. One for the first batch of water pumps, another for all thermostats in 2010 and 2011.
Unread 04-21-2011   #3023 (permalink)
bubbajones is offline Made Member

bubbajones's Country Flag
Houston   Texas
bubbajones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_stallion View Post
I'm hearing my symptoms are not shifter related but clutch/<acronym title="transmission">tranny</acronym>. I'm going to have yet another go round trying to get this fixed. If I had the dosh a corvette would be in order. WRX is great but lacks the tq of a V8. Challenger is about as expensive as a Vette and camaro needs a new steering wheel and to lose some weight.
Get an '08 vette. I think that's when they upgraded the horsepower and offered a 6 speed automatic. They might have updated the steering as well. It's been a while since I researched it.
Unread 04-21-2011   #3024 (permalink)
Fastredponycar is offline GT Member

Fastredponycar's Country Flag  View Fastredponycar's 11 photos  View Fastredponycar's HomePage
Montgomery, AL   Alabama
Fastredponycar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar

if anyone has had warranty work or service denied from their dealer, rejecting lemon law claims or anything else that would fall into this type of unfair treatment, send me a PM.

A good friend of mine is an attorney that previously worked with the best consumer protection law firm in the state and is wanting to look into this issue for us and needs individual cases of dealers neglecting warranty or service work or anything else that could be considered fraudulent.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
Unread 04-21-2011   #3025 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Denver   Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajones View Post
Get an '08 vette. I think that's when they upgraded the horsepower and offered a 6 speed automatic. They might have updated the steering as well. It's been a while since I researched it.
Ya in 2006 they went to 6 speed auto, in 2008 they went from LS2 (2005-2007 models) to LS3 ) (2008-Current) Yes they updated the steering to add more road feel and feedback. I'm a fan of the Grand Sport, if I could qualify I would jump on the 0-72 going right now at GM for 2010 Vette's still on the lots.

Vette is my number one dream car with Muscles cars like Camaro and Mustang second. I do like the idea of a back seat that the Mustang and Camaro have. I can put my G/F and her two daughters in the Mustang with me when we hang out.

Tough decision....but really should any of us really be having to think about this unless we just wanted something different. Not because we are unsure about the long term effect the clutch/tranny/shifter issue we are experiencing.
Unread 04-21-2011   #3026 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Denver   Colorado

JM.....where have you been? You get your car bought back as a lemon yet?
Unread 04-21-2011   #3027 (permalink)
InsidiousGT is offline Apprentice

InsidiousGT's Country Flag
New England   Massachusetts
InsidiousGT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtShifterguy View Post
Don't waste your money on the aftermarket shifters. You will not be happy in the long run.
That's a broad statement that is pretty lame. While some specific people won't be happy with aftermarket parts, in a general sense I wholeheartedly disagree with you. In my experience, aftermarket parts are way better than factory parts.

I think in a general sense its OK to steer people away from aftermarket parts if they are worried about warranty concerns. But saying they wont be happy with the parts is, in my opinion, completely false.
Unread 04-21-2011   #3028 (permalink)
twigstang is offline Registered User

twigstang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhurricane View Post
1) Get the fluid change, it should alleviate your cold shifting issues. If you don't want the fluid change, skip 2nd for the first few minutes of driving, so you allow the <acronym title="transmission">tranny</acronym> fluid to warm up.
2) I've got a feeling that many of the people who are experiencing normal operating temperature grinding, are the same people forcing the <acronym title="transmission">tranny</acronym> into 2nd when cold, when it resists.
3) Letting the car idle will do ZILCH to warm the transmission fluid. When idling, there's nothing moving around in the transmission to heat up the fluid.
4) If it grinds when shifting into 2nd when cold, don't shift into 2nd when cold.

Mine resists going into 2nd when cold...I shift to third for the first few minutes of driving, after that, it slides right into 2nd, no problems. To this point, I haven't had a single grind when shifting... 3,400 miles at the moment.
"FORD - when its cold, skip second gear."
Unread 04-21-2011   #3029 (permalink)
FordService is offline OFFICIAL FORD REP.

FordService's Country Flag  View FordService's HomePage
Dearborn   Michigan
FordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post
What "kind words"? The guy's up a creek just like the rest of us.

Platitudes aren't cutting it anymore. Have you or has anyone at Ford relayed the diagnosis that Ross09 has done? Looks to me like he singlehandedly solved a huge majority of the MT82s problems.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2510257-post.html

I'm sorry if I sound rude but frankly this isn't a Customer Service issue, it's an engineering issue. The very fact that they've sent a Cust. Service rep to placate us dissatisfied owners instead of someone knowledgable in technical problems indicates to me that Ford has no intention of providing a material fix, they simply want to mitigate the fallout. PLEASE prove me otherwise.

We've all been good and done as you've suggested. We've all sent you our VINs, gone to the dealership and 99% of us got the run around in return. So I think I speak for all of us when I ask: What's next? Can you at least tell us whether Ford is planning to do anything for us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
Deysha, do you have any advice for me? My car has been in 6 times and I was told a new clutch assembly was coming that would fix my car once and for all. That was on March 2, 2011. I haven't heard a thing since and my car continues to get worse. It's been off the road 42 days total, and already has the updated pressure plate bolts and QDC fluid. Customer relations denied my request for a replacement and even my Salesman at Frontier Ford in Santa Clara, CA can't believe how this is being handled. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As I've said here before, the inability to shift into a gear puts a driver's safety at risk and I can't believe Ford is OK with me driving this car around in this condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramstang View Post
Man, I feel for you. I almost feel guilty that my car has had zero problems and it's approaching 6,300 miles. Sounds like you could throw some coffee beans in the transmission on the way to work and have some freshly ground java by the time you get to the office!

I think it's time for Deysha and other folks from Ford to step up and remedy this ASAP. It's totally unacceptable that you have what amounts to a $30,000+ coffee grinder on your hands.

Ford should feel totally embarrassed right now.
As mentioned before, I am not an engineer nor am I trained to diagnose your concerns. I am a Customer Service rep and I am truly here to help where I can, by facilitating your vehicle repairs and answering your questions. I was not assigned this thread or this forum to sugarcoat this specific issue. ALLFORDMUSTANGS, along with the other forums we engage on, was selected due to the number of questions and concerns that can be answered within the framework of the Ford Customer Relationship Center. I know that I don't have as much info to share as you'd like, or the solution to your issues as quickly as you'd like, but the right people at Ford are aware and have read this thread. Please continue to work with your dealers; they have a technical support hotline that will have the latest information to support them in repairing your vehicles. Thank you for your all of your information and updates. They are much appreciated.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
Unread 04-21-2011   #3030 (permalink)
J Orbit is offline Registered User

J Orbit's Country Flag
0000   Texas
J Orbit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
As mentioned before, I am not an engineer nor am I trained to diagnose your concerns. I am a Customer Service rep and I am truly here to help where I can, by facilitating your vehicle repairs and answering your questions. I was not assigned this thread or this forum to sugarcoat this specific issue. ALLFORDMUSTANGS, along with the other forums we engage on, was selected due to the number of questions and concerns that can be answered within the framework of the Ford Customer Relationship Center. I know that I don't have as much info to share as you'd like, or the solution to your issues as quickly as you'd like, but the right people at Ford are aware and have read this thread. Please continue to work with your dealers; they have a technical support hotline that will have the latest information to support them in repairing your vehicles. Thank you for your all of your information and updates. They are much appreciated.

Deysha
We know you can't provide technical information but you've got to understand that after all these months and 100s of complaints we'd really like some new information. The sad fact is that dealers aren't getting people fixed, the TSB was a flop and as far as we know Ford no longer cares to help us.

I'm sorry that you're the lightning rod and a lot of frustration gets directed your way but we are at the point that we need someone that can get something done involved. You've got multiple lemon claims, cancelled new-car orders and a heap of bad press. What's it gonna take to get Ford to take us seriously?

I'm glad to hear that this thread is being seen by the right people. Let's just hope something good eventually comes of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
2011, manual transmission, notchy, rough shifting

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171