Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2011 - 2014 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011-2014 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-15-2011   #1 (permalink)
calgarybandit is offline Made Member

calgarybandit's Country Flag
Calgary   Alberta
calgarybandit is on a distinguished road
Default Well last straw on the vibration issue after driveshaft and gears

Well after 1 month, lots of time and money dealing with this vibration issue I GIVE UP. I have had Ford dealership, performance shop, 4 individual guys, driveline shop, tire shop all look at my car. Also called axle-exchange, UPR and Spohn Suspension. Of course my driveline RPM is going to increase from changing 3.15 - 3.73 gears.

- My following modifications are Magnaflow 15589 and 16400 love the sound very quiet at highway speeds but very loud when you stomp on it love the exhaust. Really BIG difference in the flow with the offroad x-pipe very impressed.
- C&L intake noticed a pretty big difference when I added this as my first mod.
- FRPP 3.73 gears massive difference first gear shifts before you can blink by far the best change.
- Bama 91 octane race tune is really good for changing the automatic transmission shift points and overall second best mod completed.
- UPR Dual adjustable UCA, Spohn Suspension LCA & Panhard bar with polyurethane and del-sphere pivot joint. The LCA are loud but that is typical for this type of setup but my car just launches in a straight line and just keeps pulling. Great mod don't be a baby turn up the music or stomp on the gas and you will not hear the LCA
- Sour point by far which is sad because it's a beautiful peace is the 4 inch The Axle Exchange Driveshafts - Custom Seamless DOM Steel and 6061T6 Aluminum USA Made. KYB, Exedy, Centric Parts, Maval, Spicer, Daiken, Valeo, LuK, Neapco drive shaft with 1350 series.

Beautiful piece well built but this IS the culprit to my vibration problem hands down! My car is not lowered, pinion angle checked/tweaked several times, car ran on the hoist with rear tires lifted up, tires balanced 3 times, diff opened up twice to make sure gears were installed correctly and after the gear change is when the vibration was very noticeable at 65MPH. The issue is "the 4" shaft with the center mounted slip yolk are more likely to vibrate in a certain load range than the 3.5" shafts with a front mount yoke. There is something in the front of this drive shaft that is creating this vibration issue.

Adjustable Panhard Bar with Poly Del-Sphere Combo | 2005+ Ford Mustang
Rear Lower Control Arms w/ Poly Del-Sphere Combo | 2005+ Ford Mustang
The Axle Exchange Driveshafts - Custom Seamless DOM Steel and 6061T6 Aluminum USA Made. KYB, Exedy, Centric Parts, Maval, Spicer, Daiken, Valeo, LuK, Neapco
C&L Cold Air Intake (2011-2012 GT) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!
SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (11-12 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-373-2011gt.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2011   #2 (permalink)
Oak Lawn Chris is offline Made Member

Oak Lawn Chris's Country Flag  View Oak Lawn Chris's 23 photos
Oak Lawn   Illinois
Oak Lawn Chris is on a distinguished road

Does this vibrations always happen at the same speed regardless of RPM?

Mine always vibrated at 30mph no matter what rpm or which gear I had it in. Then I changed to 4.10s and now it vibrates at like 25mph. Dealer said they couldn't find anything, but I'm going to take it to Sutton Ford and see what they can find. Also seens to be a bit more noticable when hot. I'm thinking driveshaft.

Good luck with it, it can be annoying as hell.

RWHP? Who cares!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-15-2011   #3 (permalink)

Calgary   Alberta

Quote:

Mine always vibrated at 30mph no matter what rpm or which gear I had it in. Then I changed to 4.10s and now it vibrates at like 25mph. Dealer said they couldn't find anything, but I'm going to take it to Sutton Ford and see what they can find. Also seens to be a bit more noticable when hot. I'm thinking driveshaft.

Same MPH this vibration happens and funny thing is you can pedal it say by 5MPH lower and it starts to decrease and it's way worse if you try to drive through it say 80MPH.
Unread 05-15-2011   #4 (permalink)
Leon B is offline Made Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Leon B's Country Flag  View Leon B's 10 photos  View Leon B's HomePage
Ridgecrest   California
Leon B is on a distinguished road

Take the driveshaft to a different shop that builds shafts for cars and trucks and has the proper equipment. I had a shaft done once that vibrated, the shop that built it said it was right on. I took it to a place that builds shafts for trucks and he rebalanced mine, said it was way off. After that the car ran real smooth at any speed. If the shaft is off, send the bill to Axle Exchange. Not saying anything bad about them, but it is possible the guy that built yours got distracted and it's off.
Unread 05-15-2011   #5 (permalink)

Calgary   Alberta

Quote:
Take the driveshaft to a different shop that builds shafts for cars and trucks and has the proper equipment. I had a shaft done once that vibrated, the shop that built it said it was right on. I took it to a place that builds shafts for trucks and he rebalanced mine, said it was way off. After that the car ran real smooth at any speed. If the shaft is off, send the bill to Axle Exchange. Not saying anything bad about them, but it is possible the guy that built yours got distracted and it's off.
The Ford dealership took it off and had it sent to the driveline shop to check the balancing it was perfect. I also forgot to mention it was rotated 90 and 180 to check the phase with no change and that was done multiple times also. It has something to do with the front yoke.
Unread 05-15-2011   #6 (permalink)

Calgary   Alberta

Besides using high RPM balance machine then the drive-shaft shop also test it on the car and .005" of perfectly round spinning it by hand.
Unread 05-15-2011   #7 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Ridgecrest   California

Usually they balance the shaft with the yoke, but there's a possibility the inside dimensions could be off a slight bit which would make it ride differently in the tranny. Did anybody take a dial indicator on the shaft just after the front yoke while it was mounted to the tranny and see what the runout is when installed? That's one of the first things I check, some guys use a piece of chalk held against the spinning shaft, but the dial indicator is more accurate. Turn the shaft slowly without touching it. Put the tranny in neutral and rotate the tire so as to turn the shaft slowly. Also, move the shaft up and down and side to side to check both the joints and the play in the rear bushing of the tranny. You checked the angle of the pinion to make sure it matches the angle of the tranny in a vertical plane, did you check the alignment in a horizontal direction? Not usually off, but it would be a shame to assume it's correct and find out the rear is slightly angled or the tranny is angled because of a miss-stamped mount. Rare but possible. I'd be checking the runout and play of the front while installed.

You were typing while I was also. Do you have a picture of this installed in the car so we can get a better idea of what may be going on?
Unread 05-15-2011   #8 (permalink)

Calgary   Alberta

Quote:
Usually they balance the shaft with the yoke, but there's a possibility the inside dimensions could be off a slight bit which would make it ride differently in the tranny. Did anybody take a dial indicator on the shaft just after the front yoke while it was mounted to the tranny and see what the runout is when installed? That's one of the first things I check, some guys use a piece of chalk held against the spinning shaft, but the dial indicator is more accurate. Turn the shaft slowly without touching it. Put the tranny in neutral and rotate the tire so as to turn the shaft slowly. Also, move the shaft up and down and side to side to check both the joints and the play in the rear bushing of the tranny. You checked the angle of the pinion to make sure it matches the angle of the tranny in a vertical plane, did you check the alignment in a horizontal direction? Not usually off, but it would be a shame to assume it's correct and find out the rear is slightly angled or the tranny is angled because of a miss-stamped mount. Rare but possible. I'd be checking the runout and play of the front while installed.

You were typing while I was also. Do you have a picture of this installed in the car so we can get a better idea of what may be going on?
Yes a few people also checked what you mentioned it was also mentioned it probably was something with the dimensions on the inside because spinning by the tire up at the front was .005 all the way through from front, middle and rear. I will try and take a picture tomorrow and post it.
Unread 05-15-2011   #9 (permalink)
Rush2011 is offline Apprentice

Rush2011's Country Flag
Lancaster   Pennsylvania
Rush2011 is on a distinguished road

Send it back and get a refund. I bought a Shaftmasters, installed it myself. Not one problem, drive it daily and had it up to 104 MPH on the dragstrip...
Unread 05-15-2011   #10 (permalink)
Garyalpusa is offline PONY Member

S197 Member

Garyalpusa's Country Flag  View Garyalpusa's 5 photos
State College   Pennsylvania
Garyalpusa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak Lawn Chris View Post

You driveshaft will spin faster when you change to lower gears. Each shaft has a natural resonance where it will vibrate, but from what I have read it is somewhere in the 4k rpm range up. My aluminum shaft cured all vibrations up to about 90mph with 3:31s and has a very small vibration up to about 120 or so. Above that I am scared enough not to notice a small vibration. The two piece from ford is junk and I cant believe they are still using it, especially on cars like the Boss. GA
05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, Steeda: Front strut pads, rear Watts link, X5 ball joints, Vogtland GT500 L Springs, Tokicko D-Specs, GT500 Front lower control arms, BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
Unread 05-15-2011   #11 (permalink)

Calgary   Alberta

Quote:
I had the same problem. Didn't notice the vibration until about 55 and up. Faster I went, the worse it got. In throttle not bad, let off throttle and horrible. My shaft is 3.5" aluminum built by local driveshaft guy but he did not balance it due to the weird trans flange. Trutrac, 4.10, 03 cobra pinion flange, stock height, all rod ends on UCA & LCA's, neg 1.5 pinion angle. My car was at Bridge Racing last week for battery relocation and I asked him to pull the shaft and have it balanced while he had the car. The driveshaft shop he used said it was "clocked wrong", meaning the splined part of the slip joint needed to be pulled out, lined up correctly and slid back together. After they did this and balanced it it is vibration free in or out of the throttle all the way to 130 so far. Hope this helps.
Found this on modular Ford this morning wonder if I should try this?
Unread 05-15-2011   #12 (permalink)
Hood1964 is offline Apprentice

Hood1964's Country Flag
Burlington   Ontario
Hood1964 is on a distinguished road

can't hurt... be very interesting if it's the magic pill
Unread 05-15-2011   #13 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Ridgecrest   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyalpusa View Post
You driveshaft will spin faster when you change to lower gears.
The driveshaft will turn a certain rate dependent on speed of the car. If you're going 20 mph and shift to a different gear and hold 20 mph, the driveshaft will not change speed. The engine will speed up if you downshift but the driveshaft will spin at the same speed.

This assumes you aren't driving a newer Corvette which has the driveshaft before the tranny.
Unread 05-15-2011   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon B View Post
The drive shaft will turn a certain rate dependent on speed of the car. If you're going 20 mph and shift to a different gear and hold 20 mph, the drive shaft will not change speed. The engine will speed up if you downshift but the drive shaft will spin at the same speed.

This assumes you aren't driving a newer Corvette which has the drive shaft before the tyranny.
I think he was referring to changing the differential gear set.

Unread 05-15-2011   #15 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Ridgecrest   California

That makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172