Road Course Setup - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
 
devildog1679's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 1,103
 
Question Road Course Setup

So I'm picking up my new 5.0 this Friday (GT, Brembo,3.73). This is my first Mustang, I use to drive an RX-8. I plan on road racing it at least 5-7 times a season at Road America (kick a%$ track). I decided on the 5.0 over another RX-8 (wife wrecked old one) due to the fact that the RX-8 is a better handling car than the 5.0 but it's much more expensive to get it to have the power of the 5.0. The 5.0 on the other hand may not handle as great in stock form but after a few grand I'm sure it can surpas the 8. So in the end the 5.0 was the most cost effective option.
So, being new to the mustang world what would be the steps I take to beef up the suspension. The driver mod will be done in early Spring as I do about 4 days of events, so by early summer I'll start the suspension upgrades. I'm new to american muscle so i am cluless. I want a set-up that will work great together. I was thinking of doing the upgrade in two stages. First body regidity (sway bars, subframes etc...) then actual suspension (coil overs, lcas etc...). It's my DD but just to and from work (15 miles each way), the family car (Pilot) does the rest. I need some drivabilty but can handle a stiff ride as long as it dosn't break my back.
What do you think?
devildog1679 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011
Banned
 
12blackgt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,508
 
From what I've read about the BOSS Laguna Seca I would just mimic that setup with your GT. You could even install the BOSS instake manifold to top it off.
12blackgt is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
 
devildog1679's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 1,103
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
From what I've read about the BOSS Laguna Seca I would just mimic that setup with your GT. You could even install the BOSS instake manifold to top it off.
Do up know the particulars of the Laguna Seca? If not I'll just research. Thanks
devildog1679 is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011
Apprentice
 
roybotnik's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Townsville
Posts: 187
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1679 View Post
So I'm picking up my new 5.0 this Friday (GT, Brembo,3.73). This is my first Mustang, I use to drive an RX-8. I plan on road racing it at least 5-7 times a season at Road America (kick a%$ track). I decided on the 5.0 over another RX-8 (wife wrecked old one) due to the fact that the RX-8 is a better handling car than the 5.0 but it's much more expensive to get it to have the power of the 5.0. The 5.0 on the other hand may not handle as great in stock form but after a few grand I'm sure it can surpas the 8. So in the end the 5.0 was the most cost effective option.
So, being new to the mustang world what would be the steps I take to beef up the suspension. The driver mod will be done in early Spring as I do about 4 days of events, so by early summer I'll start the suspension upgrades. I'm new to american muscle so i am cluless. I want a set-up that will work great together. I was thinking of doing the upgrade in two stages. First body regidity (sway bars, subframes etc...) then actual suspension (coil overs, lcas etc...). It's my DD but just to and from work (15 miles each way), the family car (Pilot) does the rest. I need some drivabilty but can handle a stiff ride as long as it dosn't break my back.
What do you think?
I don't think there is anything you can really do with the 'subframes'. You can install a tubular k-member in the front very easily, but it seems like an excessive thing to do at first.

For streetability I would look at koni sport struts/shocks and steeda sport springs instead of coilovers. This setup is plenty stiff, lots of people use it for auto-x, and it doesn't require constant tweaking. I am currently running this setup and with the konis turned up high, I can see no reason why I would need anything more. Of course, if you want to go with coilovers then there are plenty of companies that make them.

The baseline recommended upgrades to make the new mustangs corner well seems to be pretty simple:
  • Adjustable shocks/struts (koni sports are excellent, but the backorders suck)
  • Lowering springs
  • Adjustable strut mounts
  • Rear LCA relocation brackets to help the car hook after lowering (usually along with some aftermarket LCAs)
  • Sway bars - I can't really comment on these because I haven't upgraded yet
  • Adjustable Panhard rod - This is just used to center the rear axle after lowering. If you go with a watts linkage, you don't need it.
  • Watts Link (not really required, but I've never heard anything but good stuff about them)

As for body rigidity...I am not sure what you can really do with the S197s aside from replace the from k-member with a tubular version. I don't think many people mess around with that stuff. Even griggs racing says the S197 chassis is stiff enough as is.

This guy is a very popular vendor who would be happy to discuss suspension upgrades if you give him a call. He hooked me up with most of my components. He races, so he knows what he's talking about:
Strano Performance Parts - Parts Catalog

Steeda makes a lot of suspension parts, their HD strut mounts are very popular:
Mustang Performance | Mustang Cold Air Intakes | Mustang Short Shifters | Mustang Lowering Springs | Mustang Exhaust | Mustang Pulleys

Griggs makes a ridiculous total suspension replacement that can cost upwards of $10k, even if it's out of your budget it's still interesting to look at:
Griggs Racing Products

There are a lot of people road racing/auto-crossing these cars and I'm sure they will chime in here. I have been amazed at how friendly this community is (coming from BMW and Mercedes), and the vendors are downright awesome. Good luck!

2011 Kona Blue GT | MT - 25k miles - For Sale

2008 911 Turbo Convertible | MT
roybotnik is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011
Grimace427
Guest
 
Grimace427's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
The most important thing for track use is tires. Put a few laps on the car before going wild with suspension mods before you actually take a few steps backwards.

Take a look at Enkei PF-01 18x9.5 +45 with 285/35/18 Hankook RS3s. Another member on this forum(Jsnyng) is using these to great effect with their better grip and huge weight reduction.

After that I would go a suspension setup recommended by Sam Strano. Keep things simple at first and find actual areas that are underperforming before you replace them.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
 
devildog1679's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 1,103
 
I'll doing a few track days in early spring, based on how it drives I'll start the upgrades in early summer.
devildog1679 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011
Apprentice
 
DUFUS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Top Part
Posts: 127
 
Good taste in tracks (Road America). The 400+ horses come in handy there, three timse per lap. I've been up there three times for weekend events this year, in a 2011 GT/CS. One more scheduled for October. I haven't done anything handling-wise other than swap out with softer/wider tires (but not R Comp, yet) and lowering springs (Eibach Pro-Kit) at this point. Of course, that is rarely recommended without swapping the struts & shocks at the same time. But for what this neophyte knows, it's been doing fine. And I've been having fun, which is the first priority anyway. With the Brembo package, you're probably better set up out of the box, and shouldn't have any problems or any NEED to change any suspension bits the first couple of track days. "WANTS" are another story . I'd say the only necessity before any track time are upgraded brake pads & fluid.
Hope to see you in Elkhart Lake. Other than at the NWSC event up there, I haven't come across any 2011+'s at a track.
DUFUS is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011
Made Member
 
Marcus Ryan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Rowlett
Posts: 266
 
I would DEFINITELY go with some sort of coil over. The nose dive when coming into a corner is pretty disconcerting. If you're not careful, your ass will be bouncing around while the front of the car is pinned to the ground.

I put a set of KW V3's on mine, and it's a completely different animal. It makes the car feel loads lighter on its feet. I chased these down for the road course as well and I can't recommend highly enough if you find yourself looking for a set of coilovers. They're expensive as crap though.

I read internet forums because I love objective opinions about subjective topics.
Marcus Ryan is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
 
devildog1679's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 1,103
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUFUS View Post
Good taste in tracks (Road America). The 400+ horses come in handy there, three timse per lap. I've been up there three times for weekend events this year, in a 2011 GT/CS. One more scheduled for October. I haven't done anything handling-wise other than swap out with softer/wider tires (but not R Comp, yet) and lowering springs (Eibach Pro-Kit) at this point. Of course, that is rarely recommended without swapping the struts & shocks at the same time. But for what this neophyte knows, it's been doing fine. And I've been having fun, which is the first priority anyway. With the Brembo package, you're probably better set up out of the box, and shouldn't have any problems or any NEED to change any suspension bits the first couple of track days. "WANTS" are another story . I'd say the only necessity before any track time are upgraded brake pads & fluid.
Hope to see you in Elkhart Lake. Other than at the NWSC event up there, I haven't come across any 2011+'s at a track.
I use to track my RX8 at Road America, that track did not favor low HP cars. Those long straights and hill climb on the fron straight killed me. But not anymore J Iíll probably do 2-3 track days (RA, Autobahn, & Black Hawk) in early Spring to get a feel for the car then Iíll decide on upgrades.

Do you drive yours in the winter? If so do you put winter tires on? If so what kind? Iím looking into Gt500 wheels and Michelin X-Ice XI2 235/45R18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Ryan View Post
I would DEFINITELY go with some sort of coil over. The nose dive when coming into a corner is pretty disconcerting. If you're not careful, your ass will be bouncing around while the front of the car is pinned to the ground.

I put a set of KW V3's on mine, and it's a completely different animal. It makes the car feel loads lighter on its feet. I chased these down for the road course as well and I can't recommend highly enough if you find yourself looking for a set of coilovers. They're expensive as crap though.
I'll look into those.
devildog1679 is offline  
Site Sponsor
 
Sharad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 6,598
       
My ideal street/roadcourse setup:

Upper and lower control arms:
2011-2012 Ford Mustang GT V6 Chrome Moly Street Upper & Lower Control Arm Package - UPR Products

Panhard bar:
2005-2011 Ford Mustang Pro Street Double Adjustable Pan Hard Bar - UPR Products

Panhard brace:
05-11 Mustang Pan Hard Brace

Swaybars:
2011-2012 Ford Mustang Anti-Roll Sway Bar Kit 35125.320 - UPR Products

and finish it of with some Eibach Multi-Pro R2 coilovers.

Of course, a second set of wheels with R-compound tires is a necessity.


Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sharad is offline  
Apprentice
 
InsidiousGT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 91
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
From what I've read about the BOSS Laguna Seca I would just mimic that setup with your GT. You could even install the BOSS instake manifold to top it off.
Yes, BOSS parts would make it a track beast, but generally FRPP parts are way more expensive than their third-party counterparts.

Steeda is in bed with Ford, so their stuff really works well with the cars, but they are on the high side of price. So they are like a middle ground.

roybotnik and sharad have some good suggestions. UPR/BMR make some decent parts and are really low cost.
InsidiousGT is offline  
Grimace427
Guest
 
Grimace427's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
One major area where the Boss and even the Laguna Seca version are lacking is the fact that they still use factory rubber bushings with lots of deflection. Control arms with poly bushings will have a far more positive improvement than springs and shocks off the Boss mustangs.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
 
devildog1679's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 1,103
 
All options are on the table. Can't wait till Friday.
devildog1679 is offline  
Apprentice
 
ogremad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: el cajon
Posts: 112
 
Send a message via AIM to ogremad
i also would add on to the coilovers not neccessarily being 100% needed thing, i myself have the tokico d-spec gas adjust shocks/struts with eibach pro-kit springs and when i tuned it in i was taking 15-20mph mountain roads doing 40+ staying in my single lane running stock tires (my guess is 7-8inch all season tires). i actually the front tires hold the car down when i was taking the turns hard. you can do A LOT without coil overs with cheaper parts. but if you want a 110% then get the coilovers. remember to get the caster camber plate to align everything

Tokico D-spec, Eibach Pro-Kit, Stack Racing strut tower brace, Steeda x5 ball joints, Steeda chromoly steel lower control arms, adjustable Edlebrock panhard bar
ogremad is offline  
Apprentice
 
roybotnik's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Townsville
Posts: 187
 
My koni sports have completely eliminated nose dive. Going to coilovers would give me a crappier ride and something that I would always be messing around with... I couldn't ever leave them alone. This suspension already seems to overwhelm the tires anyways.

2011 Kona Blue GT | MT - 25k miles - For Sale

2008 911 Turbo Convertible | MT
roybotnik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Random Question

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183