Ford Mustang Forum banner

Shifter knob

13K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  d3sm0nd 
#1 ·
I hate the shifter on my 2013 Mustang GT. I think I am pretty good at shifting but the 2nd to 3rd sometimes causes me pain. So I have decided to go with the MGW shifter (After much research). But I was wondering how I know what shift knobs out there will fit the MGW. I am thinking about the BOSS 302 knob but I would like to know if I am going to shift knob websites how do I know which ones I should be looking at?

#2 ·
Any knob with a 12mm x 1.25 thread pattern, which is stock, will work. This can be verified by using your stock shift knob on it if you aren't already. You can also have MGW make a different thread pattern shift lever if you happen to find one you like that isn't available in the stock thread pattern. I had them send me a different thread pattern lever for my 09 and it was fairly cheap.

#4 ·
I have the same knob. I really like it and so does everyone that notice it.

#5 ·
I just finished the installation of the MGW Race Spec, and the Boss 302 knob fits perfect. Keep in mind, you'll have to purchase the proper shifter boot (the one with the small chrome ring at the top) for the installation. Go to: www.partscheap.com and type in Boss knob in their search bar at the top middle of the page.

May the Force be with you always!

JediDave

#6 ·
When I ordered my MGW Race Spec I asked them what knobs will work with their shifter. Obviously the thread pitch is the only thing to worry about but it was as previously mentioned 12 x 1.25mm semi-recessed. I also asked who they went through for the ones they sell on their site because I wanted a custom pattern. They referred me to EPCO. They were very easy to work with and friendly. Prices for custom knobs go up quickly though. I was very satisfied and I'm actually working with them on a second custom knob right now. They also sell the knobs with the BOSS logo and so a lot others too if you're trying to compare to what's on MGW's site. I also think you can buy them from MGW directly now, not 100% on that.

#11 ·
I do have a concern though. If you click the link to the brothersperformance.com website in my previous post above, you will notice it says
"Note: Does not fit Mustangs equipped with 401A package option.". I don't know if I have the 401A package. I purchased my car used.
I am wondering what would be so different with the this package that it would cause the shift knob not to fit.
I have attached pictures of my interior and shift area. Can someone tell me if I have the 401A package??

Attachments

#13 ·
I don't think you do. Pretty sure the 401A includes the white stripe down the leather seats and a chrome cueball shift knob. With the ball shifter, the 401A package uses a smaller shift boot. You've got the "thumb" shifter that most mustangs come with, so you should be good.

#14 ·
The 401a knob has the spacer between the boot and knob attached to the knob(all one piece) and can't be separated. A person with a 401a option needs to get the collar otherwise you will have an unfinished look.

#16 ·
I've got a SR Performance short shifter (Steeda knock-off?) and it has the same threads as the stock shifter. This is the shift knob from American Muscle and a boot retainer from eBay.

#20 ·
The issues with the cars crappy shift feel has to do with how the shifter is connected to the transmission. The shifter is remote and connected to the transmission by linkages. To further enhance the issue, the front of the shifter assembly is connected to the transmission and the rear of the shifter is connected to the floor-pan of the car. The stock bushing at the point the rear of the shifter connects to the floor pan has a really soft bushing. I think one of the best ways to make the shifter feel better is by replacing that bushing (and bracket) with an aftermarket one. It will really firm up the shifts.

#22 ·
d3sm0nd:

I'm surprised your shifting experience hasn't improved with the MGW install. I installed the MGW Race Spec on my 14 GT/CS and it has transformed my Mustang. Shifts are now smooth and exact, and I never miss the 2-3 nor the 5-4 shifts.

JediDave

#23 ·
I was suprised myself, I was expecting the results to be better... Other than being a little heavier, its shifts just as bad as the stock.. Let me ask you a question, does your MGW wiggle (more so in 5/6, less in 1/2)? Or is it rock solid when in gear? Maybe I have an install issue?

#28 · (Edited)
I would describe it like this:

The shifter has maybe 1 inch slop in the lower gears, and 1.5 inch slop in the higher gears. The stick will wiggle about etc.

When I put the car in gear, when driving, it feels like Im rubbing across a set of notches before it goes in. Now and again I will get locked out of 3th and have to re-engage.

Bottom line is that this shifter is not much of an improvement over stock, and does not fix the notchiness and slop of the MT82 imo.

The weighted shift know made a bigger difference by adding some momentum to the throw.

I guess I was expecting a more dramatic change in how the car feels.

#29 ·
I think with that much wiggle post install, you have abnormal issues. It will still be "notchy" going in gear, but the shifts themselves are far more firm and controlled. Even just my non-race-spec MGW made a night and day difference in shifting for me. Did anyone at Ford check it out prior to the MGW install?

#30 ·
Yes initially the car was ridiculously notchy, with the standard 1,2,3 grind and lockout. The transmission engineer from ford told me that this was normal and there was nothing to be done. Then I figured I would try the MGW.

Is there any way I can check for issues myself? I had the shifter installed by a 3rd party.

#33 ·
scott 0.....Dude, take a chill pill and smooth out.

d3sm0nd: I picked up the license plate bracket off of American Muscle. They also sell them on Ebay. They mount under the front spoiler and can be take off for washing. My MGW doesn't have any abnormal wiggle. As someone else already posted, check the bolts on the shifter linkage.

Cheers!

JediDave
May the Force be with you always!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.