Ford Mustang Forum banner

10,000 mile oil change interval?

22K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  kcobra 
#1 ·
It's been 5,000 miles since my last oil change and the oil life monitor on my 2014 track pack GT says that there is still 50% oil life left which would equate to about a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

Most of my driving is on the highway in 6th gear between 65 and 80 miles per hour so that's probably why the oil life monitor is being so generous. However, it's summer here in Arizona which is probably hard on any oil. The car has the Motorcraft 5W-50 synthetic from the Ford dealer. 10,000 miles seems like a really long oil change interval, so should I stick with the oil life monitor and have it changed when the computer says to or is that too long?

#4 ·
10k seems a bit high, but that's just me. I guess as long as it's a good oil, preferably synthetic, you should be fine.

Now on an FI car like the Ecoboost or anything direct injected, I think the 10k oci is a terrible idea. check out all of the stretched timing chains on the F-150's. Apparently it's caused by fuel dilution in the oil.

#5 ·
Most people who send oil off for analysis find that at 10K miles, it's still got a little detergent properties left. Oil, especially synthetic oil, doesn't wear out. It's the detergents and additives that do. You are totally fine running 10K intervals if you are using quality oil. The most important thing is to regularly check the level to make sure it's where it needs to be, and make sure you use the proper viscosity so you don't screw up the cam phasers, etc.

#6 ·
Personally I feel 10K is a bit long on oil for a high performance car but the only way to really tell is have your oil tested by a lab and they will tell you what condition it is in and pay a little extra for the TBN or Total Base Number this tells you how much active additives are left in your oil. I believe Blackstone labs says anything above a TBN of 2.0 on used oil is ok. I would go 7,000 miles then change it out and take an oil sample then send it off it's really the only way to tell if you can go longer on your oil or not. Google Blackstone labs then contact them and they will send you several oil sample kits for free The testing costs around $30.00. I change my oil around 5,000 miles but my driving is mostly around town and my oil life monitor seems to tell me to change it around 5,000 miles.

#7 ·
The owners manual says 1 year or 10,000 miles maximum, and I follow the oil life monitor.
Mine is not a daily driver so the oil life goes down 2 % every week and I end up changing the oil once per year.
Even when I go on holidays and drive a lot it never goes down more than 2% per week.

#9 ·
I did my latest oil change after 9,200 miles with the oil life monitor showing like 15% remaining. The oil seemed fine with not much discoloration. Nevertheless, my mechanic stated that I shouldn't go over 7,500 miles with the factory Motorcraft synthetic blend.

JediDave

#10 ·
So does your mechanic know more than the engineers who developed the engine? I hardly doubt that Ford would recommend going up to 10,000 mile changes using the Motorcraft blend if it was going to cause problems. Remember that this engine has an 8 quart pan which is one of the reasons it can do the higher mileage.

On bobistheoilguy.com there are oil analysis results of the Motorcraft blend easily going the mileage that you just went and the results showed that the oil could have went longer.

Wayne

#12 ·
Well, I routinely ran a '92 Geo Metro for 15,000 miles between changes using Amsoil. The first motor developed issues unrelated to lubrication at 375,000 miles. Sold the car at 445,000 miles about 6 years ago.

Got $1000 for it with a damaged door a semi hit.....

One hell of an automobile.....got 35+ MPG and I drive the crap outa it!>:)

#14 ·
============================================

chances are that GEO Metro engine was not built to the same tolerances as the Coyote and was MAKING FAR LESS HP PER CUBIC INCH.

RWSRWS

#13 ·
70monte:

I don't know what my mechanic knows or doesn't know, just that he has rarely given me poor advise. He just stated that if it was his car, he wouldn't trust a synthetic blend for 10,000 miles....full synthetic is a different story. Who knows??? My mechanic didn't document his advice in blood.

JediDave

#16 ·
It also depends on how you drive it. IF you do alot of city, stop and go, "racing", you probably want to do it around 7500. If you do lots of highway and baby your car then 10,000 is no problem. I just changed mine at 6800 and it was blacker than coffee. The amsoil filter i put in is about 1-1.5 inches longer than the stock one. I drive mine hard so im going 7500ish. Ill get a better estimate when i do my next change, accoording to how the oil looks then.

#17 ·
IMHO, to start with I have little to no faith in the majority of oil labs.......most are not licensed/certified by the states they reside (required by most states) and there are more than enough posted examples where the same oil was sent in (multiple submissions) and the results were completely different....most likely as a result of staff training and/or equipment calibration.
This is a very polite expose from a "real Oil Engineer"

http://oil-analysis.testoil.com/?p=56

By: Tim Nelson, Technical Services Manager, Insight Services

"A company recently hired me to train their samplers. The company used the drop tube method to collect their oil samples so I grabbed a line of tube and began waking around taking samples with a trainee. At the first piece of equipment I cut a line of tube and took a sample and then threw the used tube away. The trainee immediately stopped me and asked why I was throwing away the tube. I was shocked to learn that he was taught to reuse the tube.
Samples taken from a drop tube or drain port have a highest potential of producing inconsistency among samples. In situations where drop-tube vacuum sampling must be used on circulating systems, the best sampling location is between the return line and the suction line. This is known as the short circuit. In addition, tubing should never be reused. To avoid minimizing sample contamination a new line of tube should be used for each sample taken.
Does your plant have a standard method for taking samples? Have all of your samplers been formally trained in taking samples? Do you have questions about the different sampling methods?"

although this chat is directly about the ecoboost..... A few comments from Ford Master Techs……

http://www.flatratetech.com/community/index.php?showtopic=33204

“You are supposed to go 5K-7.5K on an LOF. That way, Ford can sell you either another vehicle, or an engine, after 100K pops up on the clock. Providing it makes it that far. But in honesty, I think the main problems now are the size of the oil filters today.”

“Turbo engines beat the shxx out of oil like motorcycles.”

“Knowing the Ford engines and my experience with Mazda, I wouldn't push the oil change interval past 4k miles regardless of synthetic or not. Especially if you beat on the car.”

“Car manufacturers use the customers as lab rats for testing. I'd be concerned that the oil is taking a beating due to the DI, heat from the turbocharger working overtime, and so on. The turbo won't be the only thing taking a beating either.”

http://www.flatratetech.com/community/index.php?showtopic=33158

Karrpilot January 2015

“Makes me wonder how Ford is going to get out of paying all those claims against them if the customer's follow their owners guide maintenance intervals. Yep. 100K tune ups, 100K coolant change out, 7.5K LOF's, not servicing the PTU units, transmissions, etc.”

“Me thinks I am going to be having my hands quite full in the coming years...............”

But let's look at the filters.....

Primary (OE) oil filters cannot filter (for design reasons) below 10 ppm, like industrial power plant filters do (about 5ppm), because it would restrict the flow to the engine causing possible oil starvation. Most of the oil filter mfgs conceed, that after about 90 days of use, the bypass valve in the filter opens to some degree. While the stored/caught particulates do not escape, the oil is allowed to flow straight through to prevent starvation.

With the extended oil changes 5,000 up to 10,000 miles and the longer exposure to periodic oil filter bypass activation, this is another parallel to the hydraulic timing chain actuators failing at around 100k miles as compared to their design specs which say they should be good for 150K+ miles. Those who have experienced these specific failures, the majority report they are on extended oil drain frequencies- most of the Ford Master Techs i have spoken directly too regarding this, agree their gut instint says there is a relationship between the two.

With regards to syn vs non-syn oils, today, all oils are considered synthetic. While I am not promoting this company nor their products, they have an excellent, detailed description as to how & why all oils today are considered “Synthetic” http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm and was confirmed through legal proceedings http://www.scribd.com/doc/217558103/Motor-Oil-s-Day-in-Court. Mfgs such as castrol, are actually using a oil base that is not by previous industry standards to be even considered a "synthetic", was sued (By Exxon/Mobile IIRR) and they won in court because they were able to demonstrate with additives they were essentially delivering a syn product. When looking at all the refineries in the US (2014), the only one really capable of supporting 100% synthetic oil manufacturing is Chevron/Phillips refinery in Texas…and they do not promote their product as a synthetic oil.

I too do extended coolant & oil changes on my vehicles. I use cathodic protection installed in each of the vehicle coolant reserve containers, the ph and ehtylene glycol levels of the water is checked annually and the fluid is removed, filtered (3 ppm), the system is flushed and then refilled with the same fluid every 5 years. The oil on my 65 300 hp mustang (which has been inthe family since new), has only seen 3 oil changes since its ground up rebuild (and of course after the engine break-in period) since the mid 1980's......but I do change the oem filter annually and i run a bypass filter (filters down to 5 ppm) and on the last oil change (which was recent) I did add one bottle of ZDDP per after discussing this in detail with Ron Eskenderian (yes, Isky Racing Cams), and I add 1/3 of a bottle to my mod motors as well (1997 Cougar Sport 4.6 & 2006 Lincoln Mark LT 5.4)- IIRR it is a 6 oz bottle.

So, do I believe in extended oil change intervals- yes. Do I believe that without other support measures the extended duration oil changes have no negative impact on the engine assemblies- heck no! Do I believe engineers or the accountant/risk managers (who supervise the engineering programs) to calculate the risk of drivetrain failures versus what I'm most likely to eat out of my pocket- no! Should I have any faith in a "self marketed oil Lab's report- no way!

#18 ·
I change my oil every 2500 - 3000 miles max. Always have and always will. It's the blood of the motor. Synthetic oils don't break down as much but metal particles are metal particles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.