Ford Mustang Forum banner

oil filter and oil cooler questions

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  replacement 
#1 ·
ok, I have been stressed out trying to go down the path of installing an oil cooler on my 2013 GT.

First question - I should be able to use the Ford Racing FL820 oil filter part number is CM-6731-FL820 oil filter in my car, no?

I have looked closely and it is on many web sites this filter will fit my car. I am not sure the differences but I purchased some of these filter due to believing they are an upgrade.

I received my Mishimoto oil cooler kit from American Muscle. Alex cam through with great customer service and got me the cooler kit.

It appears to me the sandwich plate does fit the FL820 filter.

Has anyone been on this path before me and can they offer some guidance on my question/concern? I will not be able to contact Mishimoto until Monday.

The filter is the correct part number right?

Am I missing a better solution for oil cooling and ports for gauges?

Thank you in advance, john

See less See more
#3 ·
I use the standard FL-500S with my oil cooler. I checked to see if the dimensions are the same, and they are. The difference is in bypass and thus flow. Should work.

Attachments

#4 ·
I do not have a very good feeling about the filter being larger that the plate,

I don't really like it - see what the mishimoto has to say on Monday - feel bad Alex overnighted the cooler since it does not look like I can work on the car this weekend,

#12 ·
John - Sorry about the delay and to see this. That's downright odd and thank you for having pictures loaded up so we can take a look. Please keep me in the loop on what Mishimoto's saying about this. We're not all that far from them and we work with them very closely. If they let us know (I can provide my contact info for them if need be) I'm happy to work with them once they're able to establish what happened.

Don't worry about sending the kit overnight, that was on me and I just wanted to make sure we had something in your hands for the weekend.

Please keep me in the loop I'll be on this thread all day.

Alex

#5 ·
Something is not right. Why is the diameter of the upper gasket smaller than the diameter of the gasket on the filter. If the filter is the right size then the cooler adapter is the wrong size.

#8 ·
Yes. The 500 or 820 can be used in our cars.

#16 ·
I have not received any information back form Mishimoto on the fitment issue. I am guessing they are not going to respond. They said they would contact me by e-mail and they said they viewed this thread. I most likely should have never gone down this road as it doesn't look like I will be getting any support. SHOSKER's install shown using the 500 motorcraft filter. I guessing that is the issue. I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. Would love to find a quality oil to air cooler for my project. I have searched around and have not found any other option that used a thermostat to control temp.

#17 ·
ok, I have been stressed out trying to go down the path of installing an oil cooler on my 2013 GT.

First question - I should be able to use the Ford Racing FL820 oil filter part number is CM-6731-FL820 oil filter in my car, no?

I have looked closely and it is on many web sites this filter will fit my car. I am not sure the differences but I purchased some of these filter due to believing they are an upgrade.

I received my Mishimoto oil cooler kit from American Muscle. Alex cam through with great customer service and got me the cooler kit.

It appears to me the sandwich plate does fit the FL820 filter.

Has anyone been on this path before me and can they offer some guidance on my question/concern? I will not be able to contact Mishimoto until Monday.

The filter is the correct part number right?

Am I missing a better solution for oil cooling and ports for gauges?

Thank you in advance, john
pictures of the issue
I have not received any information back form Mishimoto on the fitment issue. I am guessing they are not going to respond. They said they would contact me by e-mail and they said they viewed this thread. I most likely should have never gone down this road as it doesn't look like I will be getting any support. SHOSKER's install shown using the 500 motorcraft filter. I guessing that is the issue. I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. Would love to find a quality oil to air cooler for my project. I have searched around and have not found any other option that used a thermostat to control temp.
Sorry for the delayed response! I ran out of time yesterday to check these filters, but managed to sneak out today and grab some measurements.

Interestingly enough, the 820 filter does indeed have a larger O-ring, which is what is causing the overhang. Dimensions below.

FL820
OD: 72.75MM
ID: 63.35MM
Width: 4.7MM

FL500
OD: 69.75MM
ID: 60.35MM
Width: 4.7MM

Our kit was built around the 500 filter and I would not recommend using the larger 820. While the 820 might fit just fine on the factory oil filter housing, the footprint on our sandwich plate is smaller.

So, a 500 filter should solve this one for you. Samantha will likely be reaching out to you by phone or email today to pass on the information. In addition, we should probably add a note to our site indicating the 820 filter should not be used.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Thanks
-John

I use the standard FL-500S with my oil cooler. I checked to see if the dimensions are the same, and they are. The difference is in bypass and thus flow. Should work.
That's the one!

#21 ·
ok so this is an update to oil cooler project. The Mishimoto kit does not come with directions. I knew that when I ordered. In addition no install video is available. Having good mechanical aptitude and experience I went ahead with the purchase. Here is the down side. It is not clear how Mishimoto intended the hoses to be routed. also if you want to use the two ports for senders you are limited as to how you mount the spacer block on the engine. I have read everything I can find on the web about this install on our cars and several people write about the hose length and lack of directions. The mounting of the cooler and the bracket are 100% good. The hosing is pretty silly.

After spending hours working on this I have finally decided to dump the project. In the end I was looking for something very professional and this kit is not that. How do you sell a nearly $600.00 dollar outfit without any instructions? I think I got burned on this one. I will be selling the kit for a loss and re-group. For now I am putting my car back together without the cooler but I did get a different spacer to run the new gauges. I am going to look at the Cool Tech kit. More expensive yes but it is supported by the manufacturer.

Lastly ever notice how if you don't leave a positive review of products a lot of web sites won't post the review? Even if it is honest in content. LOL o'well live and learn. I am only updating to hopefully save someone else that searches about the kit the frustration - This kit is sold as a "direct fit" and the bracket and cooler is that - the rest - not so much. Buyer beware on this one.

Mishimoto Direct Fit Oil Cooler

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.