Ford Mustang Forum banner

2011-12.......2013-14 hp

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Blazin72 
#1 ·
The 11-12 GT's are rated at 412 hp. The 13-14's are rated at 420 hp. Does anybody know what Ford did to gain 8hp in the 13-14's?:|:

#4 ·
Fords great Marketing at its best or a worst?

#5 ·
It's actually a totally different piston design. Having had both an early car and a very late 14 car, I can say the stock tune in my current 14 was alot better than the tune in my early build 12. I didn't pick up nearly as much from aftermarket tuning on this car as i did on the 12 and the driveability on the 14 stock was way better.

#7 ·
I had my old Stang in for service in 2013 and I was thinking about buying a 14. Spoke with a tech while I was there and asked that very question. For what it's worth... he said it was the coating and oil squirters mentioned above.

#8 ·
Well, he ain't totally wrong, just incomplete. It is a totally different piston with a new skirt coating as well.

The squirter delete is probably most of the reason for the power increase, because stuff like that creates a lot of windage in the engine, particularly at high rpm. That and minor tune tweaks probably account for it.

#9 ·
If I remember right there were many threads on dyno tests that showed no difference in hp. On a mass produced engine one could have an advertised hp have a plus or minus end result.

#13 ·
I think that was based on someone dynoing his 2011 using 93 octane and mathematically correcting for drivetrain loss. His results was 422 hp.

#12 ·
I suspect that the numbers were also affected by the tune that was originally installed and released for the year model. The later factory tunes were likely more refined. JMHO though...

#14 ·
The later factory tunes were likely more refined. JMHO though...
Yes and no. From what I've seen, the main spark and VCT tables are the same in all years. There are changes to spark idle, cold start and some other spark ancillary tables though.

There are many different strategies though and the strategy itself can affect driveability even if the programmed values outwardly appear to be the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.