Ford Mustang Forum banner

Need some help with tires - '14 GT/CS in FL weather

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  RWSRWS 
#1 ·
I have a '14 Mustang GT/CS (manual) and it came with the tires below:
Pirelli P245/45 ZR 19 98W M+S

My GT is a daily driver; no racing/track or crazy driving.
But I do drive it a lot, about 20k miles/yr. It is not my only car but I figured I am not saving miles on the car for the next person.

Also, my tires kind of look "lowprofile" - like they are aren't big and bulky. I'm afraid I am going to pick a tire to makes my mustang look like a truck with big tires. Is this possible or is that would the size is all about (P245/45 ZR 19 98W M+S)?

I live in FL so snow/ice are not a problem - just heat and rain.
I was looking at these but would appreciate some feedback:
Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

#2 ·
The Pirelli's are junk. They are the loudest tire I have experienced in 40+ years of driving. Go with almost anything else. I prefer the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but they are expensive. I'd suggest going to tirerack.com and enter the car details. They will pull up nearly all the tires that fit, and give pricing and reviews for all of them. I think it's the best source of tire information.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
#3 ·
I put the Continental DWS06 on mine recently and overall I'm pretty pleased with them. As I also do a lot of highway driving, I was willing to give up some grip for longer tread life. These seem noticeably quieter on the highway, although over expansion joints and highway imperfections they are a bit louder, likely due to the harder tread compound. On hard acceleration, they still seem to hook up fairly well, about as good as the Pirelli tires I had before. In corners, the car definitely understeers sooner and more pronounced than the P Zeros, but that is again to be expected from a harder tread compound. For an all-season tire, I think the Continental DWS06 still has an aggressive look and doesn't look like a tire you'd find on a minivan. The real surprise with these tires was how well they performed in the rain. I felt much more comfortable on wet roads with these tires than the P-Zeros, which would often suddenly lose grip where these feel much more planted to the road.

They are certainly more expensive than other all-season tires but after 8,000 miles I've been very pleased with them.

#4 ·
If your in Florida, why not look at a Max Performance Summer Tire instead of all seasons? They don't have as good a tread life but they trade that for lots of grip. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports myself and love them. There biggest drawback is they are are pretty expensive.
I only put 4-6k miles on my car a year so they should last for a few years at least.

I think the GT/CS had 19x8.5 wheels.

Your tire size options are going to be 255/40/19 or 245/45/19.
You really can't make the mustang look like a truck tire without the tires starting being to big to fit.

The ones you have on there 27.7" tall, while the 255/40/19's would be 27" tall. Both are stock tire sizes depending on the factory options.

#5 ·
I'll second J-man, I put a set of those Conti's on my '12 and was very impressed with them, especially their wet weather capability.
Great tire

Scott

#8 ·
MPSS over the Conti DW for the better behavior (things like steering response and cornering stability). The Contis are definitely "softer" in those categories, and with min-width wheels what you really want there is "firmer" and "more stable".

Norm

#10 ·
After 2 sets of summer max on the 19" rims I am none to impressed with these types of tires. Sure they grip, but you pay for that grip with much lower tread wear. The Pirelli P-Zeros burned through in 20,000 miles and I replaced them with a set of BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2s that made it 35,000 miles, but the last 5k miles pushed it and I had cords showing. I am now on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and for an all season tire they are more then capable even for spirited street driving.

#11 ·
I'm in Florida too.

same tire size as you

Continental DW Extreme Contact ROCKS, all year round !

RWSRWS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.