Ford Mustang Forum banner

Looking to buy 2014 GT, advices?

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  CDN5.0 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm new here, first post, but the reason I'm posting is very simple - I'm looking to buy a 2014GT and before I do I would like to hear some opinions about what to expect/look out for.

I currently have 2007 Acura TL Type-S. Even tho it's fun and nicely equipped inside, I would love something RWD and V8.

What should I be aware of when looking at 2014GT? I know I want one that comes with navi and leather (yeah, I know it'll be more pricier), is Roush Stage 3 worth it? Any major downsides of the car (like that Acura has huge heatsoak problem)? Any opinions are welcome.

Thank you very much.

#2 ·
Don't overpay. Get in the Anything Coyote Mustang Related Facebook group and look for cars there. Biggest widespread problem I've seen is the hood paint bubbling from rust underneath. Most, including me, aren't a fan of the stock shifter. A lot of it depends on your driving habits.

#3 ·
Put together a list of what you want/need. Fair warning they are a long way from an Acura - best advice is buy the most loaded, lowest mileage you can find - then be prepared to own something that is almost unhealthy how much you'll think about, you'll find yourself parking way across the parking lot and turning to admire it several times, you'll be making up excuses to go to the store etc.

These cars are bad like that

Scott

#6 ·
the only issue i have with mine is the hood rust. if you buy one look under the hood around the headlight area. if its out of warranty and you have rust just buy an aftermarket hood. also look closely at the decklid. on mine there is a clear coat issue and i have heard of others having this issue. mine is a 14 with navi and heated seats.

i plan on taking mine to the dealer to try and get the hood repainted under warranty in the next couple of weeks. the car has just over 21,000 on it.

#7 ·
Thank you guys so much for your answers :) one more thing. I live in Illinois (hot summer, cold winter), can I keep the car outside? I live in a condo and I keep my car in the parking lot outside. I heard an opinion that Mustangs like to rust but I never really checked that, is it true? Is keeping it outside in the winter gonna make it rust very fast? (oh and don't worry, you don't need to tell me that driving it in snow might be challenging - I have some high power RWD experience so I'll be good).

Quick question no. 2: The 2014 GTs packed with what I want are 30-35k, while 2014 GT500 would be about 50k in my area. I don't really mind paying extra 15-20k for 662HP and all those sporty modifications, but tell me one thing: do GT500s break a lot? Because I can only imaging the price of repairing let's say the turbo alone...

#8 ·
My 2010 has over 90K miles on it, has been kept outside in Massachusetts its entire life, and driven through two or three Massachusetts winters (sparingly) . . . . and it still looks great. Yes there are some rock chips and a little rust on the bottom, but that is to be expected for a car that is driven (not stored in a garage like a museum piece).

I do take fairly good care of it; try to wash it regularly and wash the undercarriage whenever possible during the winter. But I am not super crazy anal about cleaning it; I think it has only been waxed about three times.

Anyway my point is that they stand up pretty well. They are like any modern car; they don't rust away like they did back in the day.

However, I really couldn't see myself using a GT500 like this. That seems more like a nice weather toy to me. If you are wondering about maintenance on the turbo, you should do a little more research about the car.

#10 ·
If you can find an RS3 that you like, worth the extra coin. They sell new for $60-$70K so the used market for these cars is the best place to look. Ford Mustang Roush Stage 3 | eBay

Hard to value a used RS3 so if you are going to finance be prepared to drop a large down payment.

#11 ·
Im a new to me 2014 gt owner. My hood had the corrosion issue. I had the dealer paint the hood as part of the sale. Just an option if you see it on the hood. Other than that Changing the stock crappy transmission fluid made shifting so much smoother if its a manual.

#12 ·
Drove my '12 V6 perf pkg in the winter with snow tires - was fine in a bit of snow - a snowplow in more than 3 inches though - my 14 goes away in Nov - couldn't bring myself to drive a GT500 in winter - but maybe that's just me.
If you're driving in the salt and snow then have it sprayed with Krown or similar or......buy an Escape for winter........and Dajoker that car is Beautiful!!!

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.