Tires what kind - Ford Mustang Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Tires what kind

Hello

Its time for new tires. I still have the original tires on the car. I have 50,000 kms on them so I did well. The car is currently in storage until spring. I live in southern Ontario but don't drive in the winter. Please give your opinion on what tires to buy in the spring.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160811-00338.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	498.6 KB
ID:	547905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160811-00337.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	547.3 KB
ID:	547913  

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016
MACH I Member

I am a big fan of the Yokohama YK series

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk740_gtx

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016
Apprentice

I think the first question would be how do you use the car? Simple everyday driving and an occasional road trip, or something more competitive? If the former I would simply get whatever all season tire that has the best price relative to it's treadwear rating. Tire Rack is a good source for comparative pricing and ride and performance characteristics. If the later, then expect to pay more and have less tread life. If you want to have a bit of each, the Cooper Zeon AS3 has pretty good performance capability while still having good cold temp grip and decent treadwear [ approximately 500 rating as I recall ].
Beechkid likes this.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016
Rookie

Performance/Summer on a budget Budget- General SS595
Nitto NT01
Dunlop Direzza
Nexan ( just released a budget UHP tire)
Falken Azenis
Hankook V12

All these tires are inexpensive and work well in summer only.The Generals are very cheap . I would check Discount Direct .Com fair prices with product support too. I have owned the Dunlops,Falkens and the Hankook and all did well in summer and the auto cross and track days we have done including street driving. BTW I owned the Yokohama YK and was disappointed in the product with price and performance.

Dearborndreamer

Last edited by Dearborndreamer; 12-25-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Mistake
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016
MACH I Member

Tires what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRacer View Post
I think the first question would be how do you use the car? ].

I think the first question should be wha is the budget so we have a range to work with.
Throw out a number. I've never had a set, but I've don't think I've ever really seen a bad review on pilot sports.
I have Nitto NT555 that came w a wheel/tire "kit." They're fair to middling in all categories. I'm not sure if I'd buy them again or not, it depends on the price and situation at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016
Rookie

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
noldevin likes this.

2014 Mustang Warrior
2001 Mustang Cobra
1988 Mustang GT
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

How much do you want to spend?

How do you use the car?

For an all around good tire, Continental DW (Summer) or DWS06 (all season).

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewayflyer View Post
How much do you want to spend?

How do you use the car?

For an all around good tire, Continental DW (Summer) or DWS06 (all season).
This -- an upgrade in dry weather handling combined with decent snow performance (it's unclear whether you use the car in the winter or not). I've really liked my DWS on my car, which is bone stock beyond an xbrace to stiffen it a bit.

2012 Candy red GT convertible premium, MT82, comfort package. Black int/black roof.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
He says there's no winter driving (the car is currently in storage until spring).

That does make it easy to recommend the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They wear very, very well, and grip is better than you'd expect from its 300 treadwear rating. I have 4000+ fairly enthusiastic street miles plus ten track days (that's about 1200 track miles at 5 or more times as abusive as the same number of street miles) on one of my sets, and they're still less than half worn. But they're still pulling better than 1.2g in the corners during a track day session (have datalogs to prove it). In street driving only, I'd expect somewhere around 30,000 miles/50,000 km in my driving (which tends to be hardest in the turns and when on the brakes)..

In the rain . . . well, let's just say they might even be the top "go to" choice for much harder driving than you'll ever do on the street, maybe even harder than you'll do on a dry street. Wide open throttle in 3rd (4.6L, 3.55's), beyond 110 on the last trip down the main straight (after a little excitement starting at about 11:00). 50 mph or better in all the turns except for the slow right-hander going over the little hill and the really slow left just after the bridge. I think this was the day that 2" of rain fell in the vicinity of the track, IOW pretty serious rain.

Norm
noldevin likes this.

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'10 Legacy 2.5GT, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Norm is a bit crazy... Love it.

I've had Michelins on other cars and wear to performance has been great on the street. My Mustang came with the Continental DWS and they have been great in all weather (including some winter driving). I live in WV and we have 3 dimensional curves here and I have pushed the DWS a few times and they stick. Now that they have some miles on them I am noticing they loose traction more then they used or than I expected.

I have been thinking about the BF Goodrich Comp 2A/S tires. Great price and high ratings. Been using BF Goodrich T/A KOs on my truck for a long time and they are great in rain and snow and wear well.

But can say the DWS's are good.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
PONY Member

[QUOTE=dt2010gt;8697145]

I have been thinking about the BF Goodrich Comp 2A/S tires. Great price and high ratings. Been using BF Goodrich T/A KOs on my truck for a long time and they are great in rain and snow and wear well.

I 'might' give these tires a try next time. It will be several years until I will need new tires. The price and reviews seem very good

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic Trans. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 59,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
PONY Member

Garage
I'm with Norm (as usual). The MPSS are a fantastic daily driver summer tire, and they can handle much more than daily driver duty if you ask it of them. Never had an issue or scare in the rain. They don't like the cold, but that shouldn't be an issue as you store the car in winter.
I've since moved up to Bridgestone RE11s, which are quite a bit more grippy, a little less good in the rain, and won't last as long. I'd recommend the RE11s for a daily only if you want every last bit of grip and don't mind buying tires more often.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
thanks for all the help
I drive the car from may to oct
put around 10,000 km or 6000 miles
no tracking just mostly easy driving
get into it here and there
either bf Goodrich or Michelins not sure yet
ill read on

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bigredstang View Post
thanks for all the help
I drive the car from may to oct
put around 10,000 km or 6000 miles
no tracking just mostly easy driving
get into it here and there
either bf Goodrich or Michelins not sure yet
ill read on
Both great choices. I believe the BFs will have better cold traction - might be important in the early and later parts of your driving season. But then again Michelin makes really great tires... good luck deciding.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
MACH I Member

Garage
I think everybody here will agree that the PSS is a fantastic tire.

However I have to ask - does the OP actually need a tire as capable as the PSS? Or can he buy something at the next lowest price point and still find everything he's looking for in a tire? Bridgestone S-04 and Continental DW are both very good tires that can easily handle more than what most people can throw at them for $50-$60 less per tire.

OP - If you don't mind spending a little more money to have the best tire in its performance category then go for the PSS. If you want to save a few bucks and get a tire that will still exceed what you're looking for then go for the S-04 or DW.

noldevin and 2012bigredstang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page