Need some guidance buying 11-12 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Need some guidance buying 11-12 GT

Hello all, I'm not sure where exactly to post this so hope this would be the right section.

For about 10 years I owned a 93 Fox body 5.0 LX with roughly a 340hp build, and after 10 years without I am looking for a 2011+ Coyote. I really need to gain some insight from you all before I make the leap.

Like anyone I guess I am looking for the most bang for the buck, yet I am stuck to about a 19k budget. I do want a brembo car, anything but 3:31 gears, 6sp.

My questions ---

Mileage... how are these cars with higher mileage holding if taken car of? Finding a premium (and the black wheels I love), at that price puts me around 70k miles - 110k miles. If it was an old Fox this would not phase me. This motor... I have no experience with.

Production date... I read a TSB about a left side tensioner click on early production. Is there anything else I need to know? Production issues or things to watch out for that were fixed later?

Black wheels... I love the black, deep wheels on these cars, and would likely add this later, so much easier to buy on the car (again there goes the budget). What model/package were these on? I think they are the same as the anodized/powder aluminum ones on the Brembo Premiums? -- attaching a couple pics, not mine, owner has copyrights.

What else do I need to know or look for? If it was you... what would you need to know if you were shopping again? What would you tell your buddy?

Thanks all.

Ray

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	557777   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5lp-1211-1-2011-ford-mustang-gt-alpha-mile-.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	557785   Click image for larger version

Name:	1531.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	557793  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Hello all, I'm not sure where exactly to post this so hope this would be the right section.

For about 10 years I owned a 93 Fox body 5.0 LX with roughly a 340hp build, and after 10 years without I am looking for a 2011+ Coyote. I really need to gain some insight from you all before I make the leap.

Like anyone I guess I am looking for the most bang for the buck, yet I am stuck to about a 19k budget. I do want a brembo car, anything but 3:31 gears, 6sp.

My questions ---

Mileage... how are these cars with higher mileage holding if taken car of? Finding a premium (and the black wheels I love), at that price puts me around 70k miles - 110k miles. If it was an old Fox this would not phase me. This motor... I have no experience with.

Production date... I read a TSB about a left side tensioner click on early production. Is there anything else I need to know? Production issues or things to watch out for that were fixed later?

Black wheels... I love the black, deep wheels on these cars, and would likely add this later, so much easier to buy on the car (again there goes the budget). What model/package were these on? I think they are the same as the anodized/powder aluminum ones on the Brembo Premiums? -- attaching a couple pics, not mine, owner has copyrights.

What else do I need to know or look for? If it was you... what would you need to know if you were shopping again? What would you tell your buddy?

Thanks all.

Ray
The 2011-2012's have transmission issues. So listen for a whine that will sound like it is supercharged. I owned a 2011 and it was so bad people would ask at lights and gas stations how much boost and what type of supercharger. Dealership wouldn't fix under warranty as they said it was "normal". Did it shortly after the first 2,000 miles and never seemed to give me issues. I kinda got used to and liked the sound as it really did sound supercharged. haha Also watch out for notcheness shifting or gear lock out. Clutch stick is also common, but I believe more common in the 13-14's.

I am actually looking for a 2011-2012 now so don't let me scare you out of it because like you if I can find a clean one under 20K I am buying. I am finding that hard to do around here. See another thread I did for long convo on that. Around here 2011-2012 are priced with the 2013-2014 all around 20-25K... haha

Getting track pack in your price range will be very tough and a miracle if your market is like my local market.

All the black wheels you pictured are aftermarket. I am not sure any 2011-2012 came with stock black wheels. I know the track pack came with a gunmetal/grey wheels though.

Current Mustang 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (School Bus Yellow)
Packages: Recaro seats and Torsen helical differential
Current Mods: Ford Racing High Performance Clutch Fluid Line

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, and (9. Current) 2013 Boss 302
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017
Rookie

Watch out for some engine knocking as well! I have a 2011 GT and did research before I bought it, the pistons like to mess up and it's a very expensive fix but tends to happen in the 2011-2012 some! So listen very carefully for a knocking sound, it'll sound like a small diesled mustang lol

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRZaK View Post
Watch out for some engine knocking as well! I have a 2011 GT and did research before I bought it, the pistons like to mess up and it's a very expensive fix but tends to happen in the 2011-2012 some! So listen very carefully for a knocking sound, it'll sound like a small diesled mustang lol

With that said though a simple BBQ tick sound is considered "normal" on these cars. I had that on my 11 5.0 and never had issues and dealer again will not fix as they deem "normal". So engine knocking I haven't heard as a common problem, but if so make sure not to confuse the BBQ tick for it as you will be hard pressed to find a 2011+ without it.

(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, and (9. Current) 2013 Boss 302
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ok... thanks for the info so far guys. Please others feel free to add, I love to be as informed as possible.

MustangLife -- Thanks, yeah they are all over in the market. At first I had found a 2010 GT prem for 10,999 (107k) that I almost bought until I found they put the 5.0 back in for 2011. I am seeing a few GT's (non-brem) for 17-18ish with decent mileage (60k) but these are not brembos mainly. The thing is spending that much on a 90k mile car. If I owned the car... I would replace engine if needed, or trans, but I am not trying to walk into that of course. (as a side note I saw a few in Virginia Beach - near you) -- ugly wheels but under 20k -- 2012 FORD MUSTANG GT, CARFAX CERTIFIED, MANUAL 5.0 V8, SPOILER, AUX PORT, ALLOY WHEELS, ONLY 48K MILES!! Virginia Beach VA 15737460

Transmission -- oh no, I know about the shifting lockout, and that most say it goes away with a good short throw, also the pressure plate retainers on the early productions.. but these have an internal trans failure as well? I guess I need to search for those threads. I did expect some tick yes. As a service advisor (dealer level) for many years I figured it was direct injection with a high pressure fuel pump tick. What is the failure/fix on the trans whine? I do figure I will be putting a clutch in soon after purchase with higher mileage. I do like the track pack wheels, I thought they came in black on certain colors or models. Guess I will have to go aftermarket.

ZeRZak --- Thanks for the input. Are you aware of what causes this, what it is, and what the fix is? I ran my 93 from being built @ 83k miles all the way to 331k miles before I lost a rod bearing. Stock bottom end and hypereutectic pistons (as the new 5.0 has)... is this a piston or ring problem? I have not read anything on this.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Also try some searches -- there are lots of threads on here about this, and also about the issues, and it is really hard for anyone to reproduce and accurately summarize all of that in a reply to this thread
MustangLife likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Agreed, and I am. Mainly I am seeking bullets here... for example I am now digging into this trans whine.

Also looking for the quick fixes/info... the early production 11's with the tensioner tick TSB.. shows to be 5.4 hrs warranty flat rate, which means easy 8-9 hours labor min at customer pay level. Just by knowing to rule out a before date solves this possible expense for me. That type thing. mainly.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

pay attention to hood rust (front leading edge) the transmission and how it shifts. Something to consider is for (wild guess) you can put on a big brake kit for 1-2K that will make your search easier. brakes as you know are a wear item and it's a good chance to save an upgrade. same applies to wheels...consider the basics (engine/body/tranny) as location/location/location. the rest you can change out when time and $ let you. The nice day toys are out there it's just effort to find them.

2012 V6 with Weathertech Floor mats from a Boss 302.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

forgot to add...Brembos are 99% for looks/sales value. On the track there may be a bit better heat disapation but on the street there is no performance benefit. That doesn't make me not want them but I know why I do. fwiw on my 2012 V6 I bought a used brake kit from the GT off a buddy (larger rotors mostly) for looks alone. I hope to install that this spring when I swap out to my summer shoes.

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Strange Mud... Yes, great point, something I had thought to ask, and need to know. Ok... so I am stuck in my head on a Brembo car, however the reality is this car will never hit the track. It will be well used, and it will likely get a Roush $1400.00 suspension kit before it is all said and done. It will likely be asked to rip through the north GA mountains rather briskly, a lot, I am not sure I need Brembros.

I am also not sure of these models.. how many levels of the GT are there in those years? I see cars listed as "Premium".. half have brembo, half don't. Some have the color keyed seat striping, others plain, some have 19"s, some 18"s. I figured if it has Brembros it has to be near the top (with everything else). Just how good are the stock plain GT brakes? I figure they are a ton better than the old Fox disc/drum lol.

Another thing I guess I have to consider about the car. A loaded premium Brembo was likely driven a LOT harder than a base GT considering the owner that would have gone after THAT car. Then there is the fact that a base GT I can buy a lower mileage (and likely easier driven - see above) car... so do I really need anything over a base?... I do love those heated seats tho lol.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I ordered mine and didn't want premium.....I'm not a fan of bells & whistles. In any non-track use it's the tires that are the limiting factor. In today's cars anything will lock up the tires if ABS is defeated. I'll also not necessarily believe Brembos have been driven harder. Lots of us want them but few need them. I would look for Leather/Sync to easily tell them apart (base/premium) online...I'm sure there is more to it but 90% will be those. fwiw there are way more premiums out there.

upgrading suspension is a great mod....modded ones are out there for the same price as non-modded. If the mods are what you want and well done they are a better buy but telling well done ones is a risk.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

ATL and needs heated seats???????

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
ATL and needs heated seats???????
LOL, I know right? Love those windows down fall/winter cruises so much, and well the bun warmers.. yeah nice.
MustangLife likes this.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
. . . ... so I am stuck in my head on a Brembo car, however the reality is this car will never hit the track. It will be well used, and it will likely get a Roush $1400.00 suspension kit before it is all said and done. It will likely be asked to rip through the north GA mountains rather briskly, a lot, I am not sure I need Brembros.
. . . . . A loaded premium Brembo was likely driven a LOT harder than a base GT considering the owner that would have gone after THAT car. Then there is the fact that a base GT I can buy a lower mileage (and likely easier driven - see above) car... so do I really need anything over a base?... I do love those heated seats tho lol.
Like you, many people just like the Brembo brakes and the other premium goodies even though they never take the car on a track. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. To understand the differences between the premium and base models, the easiest way is probably to go look at some.

It's too bad the on-line Window Sticker tool does not work any more. We used to be able to look up the window sticker based on the VIN, which was a great way to see exactly what was on a used car. If anyone knows a way to make that work again, let us know!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Strange Mud... Yes, great point, something I had thought to ask, and need to know. Ok... so I am stuck in my head on a Brembo car, however the reality is this car will never hit the track. It will be well used, and it will likely get a Roush $1400.00 suspension kit before it is all said and done. It will likely be asked to rip through the north GA mountains rather briskly, a lot, I am not sure I need Brembros.

I am also not sure of these models.. how many levels of the GT are there in those years? I see cars listed as "Premium".. half have brembo, half don't. Some have the color keyed seat striping, others plain, some have 19"s, some 18"s. I figured if it has Brembros it has to be near the top (with everything else). Just how good are the stock plain GT brakes? I figure they are a ton better than the old Fox disc/drum lol.

Another thing I guess I have to consider about the car. A loaded premium Brembo was likely driven a LOT harder than a base GT considering the owner that would have gone after THAT car. Then there is the fact that a base GT I can buy a lower mileage (and likely easier driven - see above) car... so do I really need anything over a base?... I do love those heated seats tho lol.
You can get the track pack which was what got the brembos on the car with any stage GT...

Base model is cloth
Premium model is leather with extra features like heated seats.
401A package is what got the color stripe on the premium leather seats. Also got nice leather door insert with pony.
Wheels size was if requested of built that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Like you, many people just like the Brembo brakes and the other premium goodies even though they never take the car on a track. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. To understand the differences between the premium and base models, the easiest way is probably to go look at some.

It's too bad the on-line Window Sticker tool does not work any more. We used to be able to look up the window sticker based on the VIN, which was a great way to see exactly what was on a used car. If anyone knows a way to make that work again, let us know!
Yeah I really miss the window sticker tool as that was a GREAT way to tell Mustangs apart with no question. I wonder why they took that away...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page