Ford Mustang Forum banner

2014 v6 MPG

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  DUBL07 
#1 ·
2014 v6 mustang automatic
no performance mods
38,000 miles
Runs well, nothing odd

I obviously did't buy a mustang because I wanted to maximize my efficiency with fuel consumption. However, I did rationalize my purchase by looking at the estimated mpg for the car, and concluding it was good enough, even if I was getting a little under what was stated. I've had the car about a month and it seems like I am slamming through tanks of gas. I do all city driving and figured I was also hitting the gas pedal too hard. So I ran a tank of gas out making sure to drive like a grandma, it was infuriating but I did it. I averaged 15 miles per gallon on that tank even though I was driving at a snails pace. If I push the accelerator at all then I am getting anywhere from 12-14. I use 87 grade gas. Other than this the car runs great, air filter is brand new, recent oil change, nothing leaking. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
all city that doesn't sound too bad. Are you doing math or the computer numbers? fwiw with my 2012 V6 MT 3.31 I get 22-23 on mostly rural roads. Few get close to the EPA numbers. I'll suggest figuring out the smiles per gallon..you'll feel better.

Welcome to AFM

Mud

#3 ·
I'm doing the math. My computer number has me at 8-11mpg, even if I reset every time I fill up. I also have a 2.73, so shouldn't I get better gas mileage than your 3.31? Getting 12mpg when driving around 3000-4000rpm seems terrible to me. I will not argue the smiles per gallon, I love the car and will honestly probably never buy a "regular" car again. All Im asking is there anything I can check to make sure the car is performing the way it is supposed to? Is there any chance the previous owner had it tuned and I need to run 91 in it? Sorry if any of my questions are asinine as I'm new to learning about cars and performance.

#8 ·
Actually the 3.31 will get better in town while the 2.73 do better on the highway.
If I am all city I get 12-13 but I have gotten 34 on the highway with my average for the 63,000 miles on the car of 26 going by Fuelly.

#4 ·
city<rural mpg. It sounds like you're smart enough to have checked tire psi. you mention 3-4K is that shifting or steady rpm. I tend to cruise at 2k- 2400. You can try premium in it but I doubt it'll matter. Tunes can give more HP or MPG rarely do they give both. If you bought it at a Ford dealer ask them to check the tune...but If it's been tuned and they are not friendly you may loose wtty.

my guess is it's the city driving....try a road trip!

#5 ·
Yea I've checked all the easy things. 3-4k is shifting, cruising at same as you. I imagine it is the nature of how much start and stop I have to do. Just gonna take some time to get used to the gas gauge falling away. I am coming from a jetta turbo diesel that got insane gas mileage, and my other ride is a suzuki sv650, so maybe I have no clue what "normal" gas mileage feels like haha. I think I may go get it checked just for peace of mind. If it is tuned then the dealership would have to flash it without voiding my warranty since I bought it under the impression no mods had been done to the car? Although I did buy it from an Audi dealership.

#10 ·
A few maybe dumb questions:

Have you had the brakes checked for a little binding maybe?
How are the tires? Balanced? Tread wear, etc.?
What kind of terrain do you drive in? Flat, hills?
Are you sitting in traffic often?

Pete

#11 ·
Haven't had the brakes checked. I have new wheels and tires, but it hasn't changed for better or worse since putting them on. I was getting the same mpg out of the stock 17s and I am the new 19's. Terrain is almost completely flat where I drive. It is constant stop and go though and I think that is what is making it so bad the more I think about it. I live in a very big city and there are red lights everywhere. I am going to take the car on a road trip this coming week to see what the mpg is like on the highway.

#12 ·
I notice around 2 mpg's less with the 'winter' grade of gas. I don't know when the switchover to 'summer' grade happens but it should be soon :)

#14 ·
I get a couple of miles less to the gallon in my 2.0L AWD 2016 Fusion than the advertised numbers. 23mpg combined. I don't do too much highway driving with my GT500 and I'm at 16mpg. Now if you had a car that was supposed to get 30mpg and you are getting 18, you might have a problem. I learned a long time ago that 6 cylinder engines tend to not be much more efficient than 8's. This isn't a bash on your car, but my observation. I had two Firebirds and a Mustang with 6 cylinder engines over my years of driving. So my decision was to either go to much more efficient cars, or go with the V8... now I have one of each.

Pete

#15 ·
Well, we have been having cold weather.
Check the Air pressure in your tires.
The pressure will drop with temperature and that means LOWER mileage.

My daughter car was getting 14 in town and I increased from 31 to 36 and she is now getting 16 slow and go freeway rush hour traffic.

So check you tires and bring up the air pressure.

#16 ·
Wow. I am getting better than that in both of my GT's, so something must be amiss.

I get 16-17 in pure city stop and go driving (I don't get to do alot of that where I live, so my actual numbers are quite a bit higher).

I really don't have anything to add that others haven't brought up already. You might want to take it in and have a mechanic look at it or maybe hook a computer to it and do some of your own data logging.

#17 ·
i have a 2014 v6, tuned and running 91 octane. bbk shorties and k&n drop in and the 2.73's (for now) and i get 18-20 in town. stop and go and never above 45 mph. actually found 93 octane near me and the mileage dropped like a rock to 15 overnight. does the car roll freely? like a caliper hanging up or dragging slightly. my brakes are noisy as hell lately and i have a rear caliper that sticks on wet days. need to address that soon, when i stop working overtime and dealing with family stuff. like everyone else said check your tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.