Mustang's Answer to the Dodge SRT Demon? - Ford Mustang Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Mustang's Answer to the Dodge SRT Demon?

So a weird thing happened tonight. My wife (who loves her 2014 GT) started talking to me about the new Dodge SRT Demon and it's specs. I really didn't know too much about it so I Googled it of course. I have to say it's impressive as a weekend track warrior (at least on paper, or screen).

After some reading, I question the car's ability to be a good daily driver. From what I've read so far, the thing seems to be totally in drag (pun intended).

I found myself making rationalizations as to why this wouldn't be a good car, and why the 2014 GT is much nicer to drive ANYWHERE as compared to this drag car. Was I wrong?

I suspect that a car that's totally speced for the Drag strip (comes without passenger seats front/back, drag radials, drag specific suspension, trans-brake, line-locks, advanced launch control, and on and on...) won't be a sporty pleasure car that you just jump in and drive 300-400 miles on occasion.

It can't be a great all-purpose car like a GT. Can it? What do you guys think?

I sure hope Ford offeres up a strong Mustang (SVT or otherwise) that steals it's thunder. I'm not a Dodge fan, I've always had bad luck with Chrysler/Dodge products but on paper this thing is a beast. It even uses a special mode on the track whereby the A/C refrigerant is repurposed to chill the intercooler and reduce IAT's by as much as 45°F.

What do you guys think?

This is Scar, a snarling Beast!
2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A w/ Body Mods - My Daily Driver (Apocalypse)
2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A w/ Body Mods - Wife's Daily Driver (Scar)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SENIOR SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I found This:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FMUtfEKygSz_mA

But I suspect that dealers or deep pocket collectors will find a way to snap up these cars well before the average joe can get one. There are only 300 cars for all of Canada, so that gives you some idea.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.

AFM SENIOR SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!

Last edited by kenv; 1 Week Ago at 09:29 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Looks even more narrowly focused on drag racing than the H'cat. And less suitable overall for most any other kind of driving.

It's certainly an impressive car if drag racing is your central (only?) automotive interest (noting that the NHRA is going to require you to cage it in order to run with them). Square peg in a round hole if you like curves and corners (and I was really hoping that with those flares that this car was going to try the cornering thing for FCA, but I've heard that the front flares were so it could ship with four drag radials and two skinnies).

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'10 Legacy 2.5GT, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
MACH I Member

The Demon's performance specs are pretty darn impressive. And it is top dog in horsepower bragging rights. But it will be too pricey for us average Joes, so it is just another expensive limited production car for rich guys like Jay Leno to add to their collections.

2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
PONY Member

They are simply following Ford but barely kept the car street legal:
2016 Ford Mustang Cobra Jet Revealed, Runs 8.0-Second Quarter Mile: Video

Ford still has bragging rights as to the fastest factory Muscle car.
5.0 Coyote and crjackson2134 like this.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton 2200 ordered
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

although more than I can pay for a toy I'll argue that it is amazing how much car you can buy for the $. We are living in a true golden age for cars.

"every one of you was going 50"
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Some guy at my wife's work told her he ordered one for his wife (as a street car). I told her he was either lying or stupid. I just can't imagine anyone trying to DD this car.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A w/ Body Mods - My Daily Driver (Apocalypse)
2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A w/ Body Mods - Wife's Daily Driver (Scar)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
They are simply following Ford but barely kept the car street legal:
2016 Ford Mustang Cobra Jet Revealed, Runs 8.0-Second Quarter Mile: Video

Ford still has bragging rights as to the fastest factory Muscle car.
Nice... Love ❤️ that last bit of info.

It's all a money game.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
although more than I can pay for a toy I'll argue that it is amazing how much car you can buy for the $. We are living in a true golden age for cars.
MSRP was listed as $50k on the Demon. Doubtful one will be pulling alongside me at a red light though. I just don't see this as a serious street car. It lacks items needed for the strip, and isn't practical (in my mind) as a decent street driver.

Pretty sure it's not comfortable enough to take a trip in. Not for me anyway.

Apprentice

We should have one of those sticky polls at the top of the forum sections.

Should your wife get a Demon?

I'll register the first YES vote. I would vote no if not for the fact that you are quite active on this forum site and that means we would get a really good and honest review of the vehicle from the 'husband of the primary driver' perspective. I would read every post on that one for sure!

Can anyone who lived through the joys of downtown cruising back in the day even comprehend the power of today's offerings? My second Corvette had a 'Greenwood Turbo' converted body and the L48 5.7L engine. A whopping 190 hp. (looked like 1000 hp) We felt untouchable.

This is a fun time to drive for sure. Even the luxury bracket in most brands offers a +/- 600 hp all wheel drive limo......what next?

The Demon! I wish you and your wife well in this.

Maybe if all the AFM members pony up a buck each you guys can do a real life trial that we can all share in. Again, I'm in.

All the best.

2014 GT Sterling Grey Metallic
-6M, 3.73, Brembo, 401A, JLT Oil Separator and Ford Racing 624 HP Whipple Supercharger.
-Steeda Sport, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's and GT500 mounts to fix wheel hop, floating and nose diving.
-GT500 quad exhaust, Roush front splitter, tinted fogs, markers, reverse, blacked out hood vents, 5.0's.
-Budget shift fix: Energy Suspension shifter bushing, Steeda S197 Clutch Spring and transmission mount bushing.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUUd444 View Post
We should have one of those sticky polls at the top of the forum sections.

Should your wife get a Demon?

I'll register the first YES vote. I would vote no if not for the fact that you are quite active on this forum site and that means we would get a really good and honest review of the vehicle from the 'husband of the primary driver' perspective. I would read every post on that one for sure!

Can anyone who lived through the joys of downtown cruising back in the day even comprehend the power of today's offerings? My second Corvette had a 'Greenwood Turbo' converted body and the L48 5.7L engine. A whopping 190 hp. (looked like 1000 hp) We felt untouchable.

This is a fun time to drive for sure. Even the luxury bracket in most brands offers a +/- 600 hp all wheel drive limo......what next?

The Demon! I wish you and your wife well in this.

Maybe if all the AFM members pony up a buck each you guys can do a real life trial that we can all share in. Again, I'm in.

All the best.
Ha Ha Ha... She won't be getting one. It was never on the table. Just wanted to know what others think of this "Steet" car.

PONY Member

Garage
The demon will not make a great daily driver, because it was never supposed to. To look at it that way is silly. If you buy a Demon, you want to drag race (or brag while being a NDMF).
If you want a crazy fast, enjoyable street car you get the hellcat, not the demon.

I applaud Dodge for having the balls to make a one-trick pony. Imagine how much better the gt350 could have been on the track if they weren't also trying to sell it as a good all-round car.
Ford won't steal the thunder from the Demon unless they make what is basically a street legal cobrajet. No gt500 is going to come close because it will never be a dedicated drag car.
Strange Mud and crjackson2134 like this.
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I wonder if it will be a true track car like the advertise or wonder if it will be a bust like the 2013 Boss 302 I have or the 2015+ GT350's where Ford advertised them as a all out track ready car, but neither backed that up when it came time to. For example the 2012-2013 Boss 302's had clutch and rear end issues (Both of which my 2013 had.) and of course the new class action law suit for the GT350 about trans over heating... I guess time will tell...

Current Mustang 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (School Bus Yellow)
Packages: Recaro seats and Torsen helical differential
Current Mods: Ford Racing High Performance Clutch Fluid Line

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, and (9. Current) 2013 Boss 302
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
I wonder if it will be a true track car like the advertise or wonder if it will be a bust like the 2013 Boss 302 I have or the 2015+ GT350's where Ford advertised them as a all out track ready car, but neither backed that up when it came time to. For example the 2012-2013 Boss 302's had clutch and rear end issues (Both of which my 2013 had.) and of course the new class action law suit for the GT350 about trans over heating... I guess time will tell...

The only all out track cars were the " R " cars.

Black 2014 GT Premium BBP 6R80
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
At this point, I think it's a bragging rights car. It's not NHRA legal as is, and although it's street legal, it's not a good fit as a street car, as noldevin pointed out.

The issues you've had with the Boss aren't unique to that car, or even to Ford in general. I know plenty of Boss owners who haven't had those issues. When you push any car to higher performance, parts are being stressed exponentially greater & things are gonna go wrong.

This is why I'm amazed that the Demon is sold as a street car. I kinda feel like it's not a great street car or great drag car as sold. If the target buyer is a drag strip racer, then finish it. Give it a cage, give it fire suppression, etc... If it's a powerful street car.... Well, you see my point.

Could I buy a couple of these? Sure, but it doesn't seem like a fun street car. At some point one realizes you can always beat the guy next door, you just have to spend more money. That's nothing I'm even remotely interested in. Less than 24hrs. have passed since I even noticed the car & I've already lost interest. I'm not a racer, but I love muscle cars... I doubt this would give me many smiles unless I were on a drag strip. Even then, there are plenty of modified "Street" cars that are more impressive at the track (because they are street in name only).

I now have a clearer picture of the car (I think). It's a car I can watch at the track, but not something I would enjoy on the street.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page