Ford Mustang Forum banner

Maintenance intervals

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  LosAngelesGT 
#1 ·
What would you guys recommend for maintenance intervals? A lot of things to review just hoping someone has the time to share some knowledge. I bought used and still have several years of payments left so I want her running strong for a while.

2011 GT all stock. Driven hard. Frequent high rpms, hard braking, hard turning. Also a daily driver in LA so at least 3 hours a day in slow moving traffic and idle.

Got the car at 40,000 miles last year.
-Had to replace AC compressor at 45,000 miles.
-New tires at 52,000
-New brakes and rotors at 40,000 and 56,000
-New air filter 40,000 and 50,000 and 55,000
-New coolant, auto transmission fluid, and brake fluid at 55,000
-New lower control arm (was clunking) 58,000
-New 5w-30 Synthetic oil and filter every 3,000-4,000 miles. Less frequently changed then that and the oil level dips below the bottom hole.

Question

-Fuel filter ( I know I should have done it already, just forgot about it) Asap and then how frequently?
- Clean MAF and throttle body ASAP?
- Shocks and struts 80,000?
-Spark plugs 75,000?
-Differential oil 80,000?
-Serpentine Belt 100,000?
-Anything else?

Keep in mind the car runs strong, all this is preemptive maintenance.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for that utterly useless response.

#3 ·
You can go a little longer on the air filter, unless LA air is that dirty. That reminds me you should check/replace the cabin air filter too.

Brake fluid and coolant should be flushed every 2-3 years regardless of mileage. These fluids break down over time.

Auto trans fluid every 20k due to the hard driving and stop & go traffic. I would highly recommend a 18k-20k GVWR trans cooler for your setup. You can get one new for less than $50.

I would also do the fuel filter at 20k even though the manual calls for 30k, due to the ethanol blend in our fuels. Unless of course you are paying for ethanol free gas.

Do plugs and differential fluid every 60k.

Shocks/struts don't need replacing unless they're actually blown or clunking.

#5 ·
Air filter looks dirty when I check it. So what do you think go 10,000 miles per change?
Wow so change tranny fluid that frequently huh? How much do you think the trans cooler would be to install?
Copy that on the fuel filter -- Ethanol blend is all I can find around here.
Do you think I can hold off on the plugs and diff fluid until 75,000 or would that not be wise?
Is it worth cleaning the MAF and throttle body?

Thanks!

#8 ·
Fuel filter response is correct,I would clean the MAF sensor very easy to do,also very important have your coolant changed, very important have it done at Ford, they have a machine to flush and install new coolant to the ENTIRE SYSTEM $ 150.00 worth it. Transmission fluid should be ok till 90,000 miles, brake fluid should be changed ( age ) of fluid,Rear end oil change it, 2.6 quarts Royal Purple 75x140.For me I wouldn't worry or install a transmission cooler on my Mustang,also the cabin filter should be changed,and make sure you clean out the little drain holes at the bottom of the cabin filter tray to avoid water from backing up into your foot wells of your car,Just my thoughts.
5.0 Coyote.:wink: PS.Use ONLY MAF sensor cleaner (auto store) purchase.

#13 ·
Cleaned the MAF easy as pie.
I would disagree on the tranny fluid being ok until 90,000. I had my changed at 55,000 and the ford tech recommended I do it more frequently based on my driving. Already changed my brake fluid and coolant less than a 6 months ago. I'll get on the diff fluid to change.
What about spark plugs?

#9 ·
Very interesting. I have always been curious of the many conflicting reports btw dealers, vendors, owners on what the true maintenance intervals should be

#10 ·
The earlier smarta$$ response "owner's manual" was really more smart than a$$.

The Owner's Manual gives all of the correct maintenance intervals and requirements. Doing "more" than that is really just personal preference/opinion, and that's why we get so many different inputs. Sometimes there is a reason -- for example, I change my oil more often than the manual says because I run my car on the road track -- but lots of times it's just because it makes somebody feel better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.