Hood paint corrosion question... - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hood paint corrosion question...

Hi Guys,
I know I am a little late to the game with this topic. I have done a lot of reading on the topic. I have a 2013 with 42,000 miles. I am just under the 5 year window. I had my front end protected with the plastic rock shield from new from a 3rd party company. Last week I noticed some bubbles in the nose of the hood. I peeled off the plastic and sure enough about three inches of the paint came with it. The paint had bubbled but had been kept in place with the plastic so it wasn't noticeable. I am going to talk to the dealer but in all my research I don't think I stand much of a chance in getting Ford to do anything. I see the class action suit failed. Any tips or advice you can forward on how I can get Ford to "pony" (sorry, had to do it)up for the repairs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The only way Ford will repair the corrosion is through goodwill.

5.0 Coyote and JD08 like this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017
PONY Member

Garage
we are beat

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Since you are still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, I think it is worth a shot. Approach your dealer with a positive attitude and be courteous and expect that it is covered under warranty. good luck . . . Edit: PS -- oops; your bumper-to-bumper warranty has already expired, right? If so then you don't have much of a chance, since paint is definitely not powertrain.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017
PONY Member

Best option you have is to start thinking about either going after market or repairing the hood you have. Either way you are going to have to pay. Talk to your dealer to see if they or Ford will put up anything to fix it.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Annoying, isn't it? I did discuss it with my dealer I have paint bubbling on the front of my 2012 hood and it went no where, not shocking as he also refused to fix failing stabilizer links that were under warranty.

More annoying: it doesn't seem to be an easy fix. A respray doesn't appear to hold up I'm hoping folks have had better luck with it than those I've spoken with and I'm not thrilled about an aftermarket fiberglass hood (there seems to be divided opinion about whether those need hood pins which I'm not enthused about).

I love my car it's aged very well and has 56,000K miles (not bad for 6 years as a daily driver) but this is frustrating.

2012 Candy red GT convertible premium, MT82, comfort package. Black int/black roof.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017
PONY Member

Check out Cervini's, they have hoods that do not require hood pins:
Cowl Hoods, Cowl Hood Mustang, 10-14 Mustang Hoods

They sell hoods painted and unpainted. If you go unpainted you will need to get a body/painter you trust as well.

I personally went with a Ram Air for my '14, both it and the '11 I used to own had the hood corrosion issue.

If you do go with Cervini's order from someone like American Muscle or similar vendor. Cervini's usually has a backlog on orders, if time is an issue for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgan11 View Post
Annoying, isn't it? I did discuss it with my dealer I have paint bubbling on the front of my 2012 hood and it went no where, not shocking as he also refused to fix failing stabilizer links that were under warranty.

More annoying: it doesn't seem to be an easy fix. A respray doesn't appear to hold up I'm hoping folks have had better luck with it than those I've spoken with and I'm not thrilled about an aftermarket fiberglass hood (there seems to be divided opinion about whether those need hood pins which I'm not enthused about).

I love my car it's aged very well and has 56,000K miles (not bad for 6 years as a daily driver) but this is frustrating.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017
BOSS Member

IMHO (non-attorney) ...I would consider a joint claimagainst Ford & the dealer (once and if it's denied) in small claims court...here's why...

Ford knew about thedefect (failed to achieve proper paint adhesion as a result of prep, contamination or materials) and did nothing (despite the fact that in ford docs they say their paintis has a life of 7 years...condition, appearance, etc.)

I am not promotingthis company but for compensation they have documents and experts that havebeen used to successfully recover damages as a result of OEM paint issues goingback to the 90's.

Zestar Corporation
www.zestar.com
43422 West Oaks Drive
Novi, Michigan, 48377
888-755-2658

Also remember, Aluminum panels have been effectively painted and re-painted since the 40's (Lincoln used aluminum panels in the 40's) and there are many, many mfg's who have never had a issue with paint adhesion (including Ford in the past)........and any shop that won't guarantee their paint are simply not professionally trained in working with aluminum.....when you bought the car this included a warranty.....IMHO (non-attorney), when and if either the dealer or Ford denies the claim, it's fraud...a whole new ballgame and again, with the documents/support that zester can provide, they will be feeling like they are pinned into a corner..............and when you consider that a repaint of the hood will run $800 to $1,800 (depending on who you talk to), you can recover every dime.......

and an FYI.............although the cars are painted at Ford, the application process is contracted out.......yes, a sub-contractor is working inside the Ford plants spraying the cars/trucks and they are paid a flat rate/piece rate.....so if the sub-contractor wants to maximize profits, they will shorten the waiting/drying time of each stage to the minimum (or less) and/or reduce the primer/paint thickness to just the minimum......which can also end up being below minimum..........and yes, the sub is actually buying the paint from the designated supplier.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

As I understand it, the "root cause" of the problem is steel/iron contamination in the welds in the aluminum hoods; this causes galvanic corrosion from inside and that's what causes the paint bubbling. The paint preparation/application/curing is not the problem; and that is why a re-paint is only a temporary solution. To fix it permanently you would have to remove that iron contamination, which is pretty much impossible for practical purposes. Real good prep and primer probably will slow it down, but there is nothing you can do on the surface of the hood that will remove the root cause.

Going after it legally might work . . . but speaking for myself, I just don't have the time or energy to do that, in addition to everything else that I already have going on in my life . . . so when I can't stand it any longer, I'll probably just spring the $1,000 (or whatever) for a repaint and hope it lasts for a while.

I believe there was a class action lawsuit started on this but I don't know if it went anywhere.
Beechkid likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

Last edited by JBert; 05-15-2017 at 02:26 PM.
PONY Member

You can get an aftermarket hood already painted for 1100 ish from Cervini's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
As I understand it, the "root cause" of the problem is steel/iron contamination in the welds in the aluminum hoods; this causes galvanic corrosion from inside and that's what causes the paint bubbling. And that is why a re-paint is only a temporary solution. To fix it permanently you would have to remove that iron contamination, which is pretty much impossible for practical purposes. Real good prep and primer probably will slow it down, but there is nothing you can do on the surface of the hood that will remove the root cause.

Going after it legally might work . . . but speaking for myself, I just don't have the time or energy to do that, in addition to everything else that I already have going on in my life . . . so when I can't stand it any longer, I'll probably just spring the $1,000 (or whatever) for a repaint and hope it lasts for a while.

I believe there was a class action lawsuit started on this but I don't know if it went anywhere.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Tacky as this is my car is black and touch up of the open blisters on the leading edge of the hood and chips in the body paint is done with a black Sharpie.

The hood corrosion can affect every model. Just take a close look at Ford hoods in Walmart. Hood corrosion on Fords is like fleas There are pet owners that know their pets have them. Folks that don't know. And pets that will have them again.

Sometimes i feel like giving my car a flea-dip in baking soda to see if that stops the corrosion.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
Thanks for that tip; so far I like my factory hood better than any of the other options I have seen; plus I'm pretty sure the fiberglass hoods are heavier than the stock aluminum one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
Tacky as this is my car is black and touch up of the open blisters on the leading edge of the hood and chips in the body paint is done with a black Sharpie.

Sometimes i feel like giving my car a flea-dip in baking soda to see if that stops the corrosion.
Where can I get a Red Candy sharpie?
And I think I'll try the flea dip, can't hurt, right?

PONY Member

If you are going to stick with the stock hood, find a body shop that works on Mercedes, BMW, or other higher end car. They usually know how to properly prep and paint aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Thanks for that tip; so far I like my factory hood better than any of the other options I have seen; plus I'm pretty sure the fiberglass hoods are heavier than the stock aluminum one.

Where can I get a Red Candy sharpie?
And I think I'll try the flea dip, can't hurt, right?
Beechkid likes this.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post

And if you go out to their website and order, it says that item ships in 5 hours if you order now. Makes me wonder if they just have a bunch of every color sitting around.

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!
PONY Member

I've ordered a few things from Cervini's over the years, that counter is never ever accurate. And you usually have to follow up with them to get any status on your order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
And if you go out to their website and order, it says that item ships in 5 hours if you order now. Makes me wonder if they just have a bunch of every color sitting around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page