LinkBack Thread Tools
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
Wet pavement? Whats that?
I keep forgetting my audience. You guys in Glendale AZ might need to replicate the wet pavement condition with a water hose.

crjackson2134 likes this.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Well, Iíve put my 1st road trip on the new Potenzaís and I couldnít be happier so far. Lots of tight twisties for a couple hundred miles across mountain roads. These tires hang well and do so quietly. I wonít post any speeds, but letís just say I was in a hurry and these tires didnít disappoint at all. The ride was quiter, and less harsh when driving on bad surfaces. I have no complaints so far, letís just hope they continue this pattern as the miles build.

ONEZ ST likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
Apprentice

Garage
Great feedback in this thread, even if there is no perfect tire.

I replaced the 2 rears on my Ď14 GT with MPSS and have been disappointed with the lack of traction. I do live in Canada (southern most part) so maybe it isnít hot enough to get the best out of them?

I wonít need to replace them for a while but when I do Iím looking forward to trying something new (leaning toward BFG Comp TAís). My fronts are now due for replacement (after alignment as inner walls are worn much more than outer) so Iím still searching for my options. Appreciate all the comments!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #49 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
MPSS are summer tires. I Donít know what your local temps are, but these tires perform less than optimal in cold weather.

PONY Member

Guys I’m telling you, can’t beat the sumitomo htrz iii. AMAZING performance value! I’m running a 275/35/19 square set up on my brembo wheels.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
MPSS are summer tires. I Donít know what your local temps are, but these tires perform less than optimal in cold weather.

Understood. I store the car indoors all winter and only drive it in nice weather (sunny, dry, warm). Maybe not warm enough...?

Question: what tire pressures do most guys run on street tires (ZR) for better Ďtractioní? Does TPMS prevent pressures where rear tires might get best levels of grip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
well, yeah, but only because the "expert" says they are better than the old MPSS; I am perfectly happy with my MPSS and frankly haven't really pushed them yet to find out if they are really better on track than my previous Bridgestones (didn't make it to the road track all year this year, too many other obligations . . . )

I didn't realize when I bought the MPSS that they were an "obsolete" model, and the "new and improved" 4S could be had for the same money

I might not have my facts completely straight but that's what I'm thinking . . . and I don't think there are any tires as sticky as the MPSS that will last any longer; it's the nature of the beast; soft is sticky and soft wears fast
how many miles should you get out of the mich ss
how many miles out of the mich 4s

driving normal not burning them?

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
PONY Member

Garage
Im from Canada too. We do get hot summers here too in Southern Ontario. How many kilometers under normal driving conditions (not burning on them) should you get on the Mich pilot 4?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160625-00313.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	608007  

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
Rookie

Go look up the tire tread wear index rating and then look at your Pilot Sports. They aren't SUPPOSED to last long.

Good track tires are sticky and wear out FAST. Good street tires are sticky, but less so than track tires, and last a good long time.

I am going with Nitto 555 G2's specifically for tread wear, knowing they are sticky enough for street use and occasional track time. Since it will be a new car for me, I'll go maybe 85% on track and have fun, but there is no use in going 100% unless you are racing for gain, are in practice ... so to speak ... and do not care if you damage your car. When I went to Bob Bondurant, it was 25 years ago, and I'm not exactly "in practice" when it comes to track driving. Use to be and can get there again, but it will be at some expense.

When I went to Bondurant, I went through 3 sets of tires, 3 sets of brakes, and a water pump in 3 says on a Jack Rousch-prepared Mustang GT.

Good luck to you! Cheers.
huberoy123 likes this.
post #55 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostang9 View Post
Does TPMS prevent pressures where rear tires might get best levels of grip?
TPMS is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. It monitors for low tire pressures only. It doesnít prevent anything, or alter pressures in any way.

There is a pressure sensor placed inside the tire/wheel cavity on the backside of the inflation stem. It has a small radio inside that transmits a low pressure signal to the monitoring receiver. The pressure setting is not dynamic, and does not change with temperature, road or driving conditions. It is a static setting that the vehicle itself cannot adjust.

It only warns you if your tire pressure on any tire, is below the preset threshold by activating a dash warning light. Nothing more.

I hope that clears it up for you

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
TPMS . . . doesnít prevent anything . . .

well, it would prevent me from being happy, because of the light on the dash, if I was trying to run real low pressure like 26 psi or less, LOL

but you really shouldn't have to run low pressure to get decent grip from the MPSS; the normal 32 should be OK, or maybe drop down a little to like 28 . . . they may need to be warmed up a bit for best grip . . . maybe gostang is expecting miracles; not sure what he considers "lack of traction," what size he is running, or what he is comparing to

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #57 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
well, it would prevent me from being happy, because of the light on the dash, if I was trying to run real low pressure like 26 psi or less, LOL
The ERMS (Emotional Response Moniitoring System) is located elsewhere in the vehicle. Itís a rather large nut located on the posterior side of the steering wheel, and has great if not explicit control over the initial pressure setttings for each tire. There is no preset threshold for this setting, but it can often be managed by ones initial expectations. I find it is very much affected by caffeine intake, blood pressure, ambient environmental temperatures, and the urgency to evaluate ones bladder or bowls.

Quote:
but you really shouldn't have to run low pressure to get decent grip from the MPSS; the normal 32 should be OK, or maybe drop down a little to like 28 . . . they may need to be warmed up a bit for best grip . . . maybe gostang is expecting miracles; not sure what he considers "lack of traction," what size he is running, or what he is comparing to
I find that 32 PSI is the best balance for comfort/traction/wear in my use as a daily driver. YMMV, but this works best for me.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
The ERMS (Emotional Response Moniitoring System) is located elsewhere in the vehicle. Itís a rather large nut located on the posterior side of the steering wheel . . . .
Ha ha, yes my threshold is generally quite low!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

Garage
From all the input about rapid tire wear I've found the problem(s). One is the cement block on the throttle pedal and the loose nut behind the wheel. That noise that the tires are making is rubber coming off.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bigredstang View Post
Im from Canada too. We do get hot summers here too in Southern Ontario. How many kilometers under normal driving conditions (not burning on them) should you get on the Mich pilot 4?
15 K miles is what I expect from the P4 or maybe a little less in my normal driving. They have less thread depth than the PSS.

crjackson2134 likes this.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page