post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
15 K miles is what I expect from the P4 or maybe a little less in my normal driving. They have less thread depth than the PSS.
Thatís about what I got on my MPSS too. I could have pushed it a little longer but they had the traction of banana peals, and were noisy as hell.

The tires I have now have 2X + the tread depth of new MPSS, and grip the road as well or better than the MPSS ever did. Iím thoroughly impressed with cold weather and wet weather traction as well. Warm weather traction is a given.

I fully expect these tires will have more than double the lifespan of the MPSS. I hope I still feel this way after 15K on the rubber.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
TPMS is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. It monitors for low tire pressures only. It doesnít prevent anything, or alter pressures in any way.

There is a pressure sensor placed inside the tire/wheel cavity on the backside of the inflation stem. It has a small radio inside that transmits a low pressure signal to the monitoring receiver. The pressure setting is not dynamic, and does not change with temperature, road or driving conditions. It is a static setting that the vehicle itself cannot adjust.

It only warns you if your tire pressure on any tire, is below the preset threshold by activating a dash warning light. Nothing more.

I hope that clears it up for you

lol - I appreciate the education. I fully comprehend what TPMS is and how it works. I also know that tire pressure can have a significant influence on traction. (Used to adjust by decimal increments on my go-kart to change traction and handling).

I should have used more words to explain my point.

Iím not sure what target pressure Ford expects in our Mustangs. Letís assume it is 35psi. The TPMS will warm if any tire is off by more than 25% (so light comes on below ~26 or 27 psi).

My question was whether some like to drive with pressure below this value for better traction? I donít, and I doubt standard street tires would work well at such a low pressure. I was just curious.

By TPMS ďpreventingĒ this, I simply meant the light would come on and annoying not wanting the annoyance of the alert would be prevented from running such a low pressure.

Thatís all I meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
well, it would prevent me from being happy, because of the light on the dash, if I was trying to run real low pressure like 26 psi or less, LOL

but you really shouldn't have to run low pressure to get decent grip from the MPSS; the normal 32 should be OK, or maybe drop down a little to like 28 . . . they may need to be warmed up a bit for best grip . . . maybe gostang is expecting miracles; not sure what he considers "lack of traction," what size he is running, or what he is comparing to

I agree lower pressures likely not better, at least with street tires.

I donít expect miracles, but with the significantly higher price of the MPSS I was hoping for better than Iím getting.

I donít drive in rainy, cold or snowy weather, so I think I might be missing the benefit of these tires. For my next set Iíll be looking for the best grip I can get in dry weather at a good price.

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Thatís about what I got on my MPSS too. I could have pushed it a little longer but they had the traction of banana peals, and were noisy as hell.

The tires I have now have 2X + the tread depth of new MPSS, and grip the road as well or better than the MPSS ever did. Iím thoroughly impressed with cold weather and wet weather traction as well. Warm weather traction is a given.

I fully expect these tires will have more than double the lifespan of the MPSS. I hope I still feel this way after 15K on the rubber.

Iíve seen your recommendation and will likely give them a try when I need another set for my car.

I searched for the highest recommended tires and found the MPSS. I was shocked at the high price but figured they must be amazing and so I went for them. So far Iím not convinced they gave me the value for money I was hoping for - as far as grip level.

post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostang9 View Post
I searched for the highest recommended tires and found the MPSS. I was shocked at the high price but figured they must be amazing and so I went for them. So far Iím not convinced they gave me the value for money I was hoping for - as far as grip level.
My experience mirrors yours. They were highly recommended and I figured I couldnít go wrong with these. Most people are very happy with the MPSS, I was satisified at first, but after a small amount of usage, I wasnít one of the happy-campers. Maybe I had an odd set or something but traction was disappointing in my case. They were much better than the stock Pirellis however, but I wouldít ever buy them again.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If it matters now, I had better than decent experience with Bridgestone, at least in their RE960AS line (thank God they retired those dreadful RE92's). RE980's would at least make the short list of candidates to look into if I had to shop for all-season tires today.

I am surprised at the small number of miles you got from your MPSS, as I fully expect to get 10000 miles per hundred treadwear even with my rather harder-than-average cornering and hard braking. I am not so surprised at your noise complaint, as either set of Michelins on her Subaru have started to get louder as the tread depth has gotten shallower.

Norm
crjackson2134 likes this.

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
My experience mirrors yours. They were highly recommended and I figured I couldnít go wrong with these. Most people are very happy with the MPSS, I was satisified at first, but after a small amount of usage, I wasnít one of the happy-campers. Maybe I had an odd set or something but traction was disappointing in my case. They were much better than the stock Pirellis however, but I wouldít ever buy them again.

How do you find the grip of the BP RE980ís in warm dry weather?

I may have different criteria than many, but I want:
- great traction in dry warm/hot weather
- quiet but in terms of not screeching too much when they break a little free

What I donít care about:
- how they handle in wet or cold weather
- how long they last (itís a second car for me, I only use it as a fun toy so mileage doesnít matter to me)
- cost: at least itís not my primary concern as long as the tires meet my 2 needs

Iíve added a set of 10Ē rims on the rear this year to properly wear the 275 MPSS I got (too wide for my 8.5Ē stock rims).

post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
How do you find the grip of the BP RE980ís in warm dry weather?
Excellent so far. You won't be burning rubber unintentionally, they haven't slipped once since installed (including hard pulls from stationary). They grip better than any of the other tires I've tried so far. These are performance tires with the additional benefit of being AS as well. Keep in mind these are brand new, and all tires grip better when new, so only time will tell for sure.

My MPSS tires have great traction when new, but it went away very quickly for me. Not everyone has the same experiences however. There are a lot of variables to consider, including the driving surface. I'm very happy with my purchase, but time could change that.
It's too early to know.
gostang9 likes this.

post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
What I donít care about:
- how they handle in wet or cold weather
- how long they last (itís a second car for me, I only use it as a fun toy so mileage doesnít matter to me)
- cost: at least itís not my primary concern as long as the tires meet my 2 needs
These are things I do care about personally. My car is a daily driver, and once in a while my wife gets behind the wheel, so wet and cold weather are reality here.

These tires should meet your primary concerns, but only you would be able to properly evaluate that.

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I use the Michelin Pilot SS tires on mine right now. When I bought them, other manufacturers did not have the right combination of sizes for the staggered set up and size difference in my wheel setup. I would definitely go with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires next time. Performance is nearly identical and cost is less.

I used the Extreme Contact DWS on my 2012 GT, and I thought they were good enough to use all the time although I just used them in colder weather on different rims. I also had the Track Pack on this car. I mounted the DWS tires on another set of the Track Pack wheels (black Motorsport). So for wet and cold the DWS are pretty good for the money.

And although I don't drive my car after mid-November until the end of March here in New England, I have Pirelli P Zero A/S 275/40/19 tires, mounted on different wheels, on all four corners. I'll put them on at the end of September and drive it until I put it away for the winter. The traction is actually pretty good considering the power it has. I also let the car sit on them until spring. They have been good to me so far. I do drive it in cold and rain. After all, it's just a car.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
These are things I do care about personally. My car is a daily driver, and once in a while my wife gets behind the wheel, so wet and cold weather are reality here.

These tires should meet your primary concerns, but only you would be able to properly evaluate that.

Iím guessing there are many more like you than there are like me. It was why I listed them so clearly as I figured it was an uncommon wishlist.

I also get that everyoneís experience may differ and I respect both your opinion and openness that it is your experience only and shouldnít be taken as gospel for anyone else.

10-4!

crjackson2134 likes this.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
I use the Michelin Pilot SS tires on mine right now. When I bought them, other manufacturers did not have the right combination of sizes for the staggered set up and size difference in my wheel setup. I would definitely go with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires next time. Performance is nearly identical and cost is less.

I used the Extreme Contact DWS on my 2012 GT, and I thought they were good enough to use all the time although I just used them in colder weather on different rims. I also had the Track Pack on this car. I mounted the DWS tires on another set of the Track Pack wheels (black Motorsport). So for wet and cold the DWS are pretty good for the money.

And although I don't drive my car after mid-November until the end of March here in New England, I have Pirelli P Zero A/S 275/40/19 tires, mounted on different wheels, on all four corners. I'll put them on at the end of September and drive it until I put it away for the winter. The traction is actually pretty good considering the power it has. I also let the car sit on them until spring. They have been good to me so far. I do drive it in cold and rain. After all, it's just a car.

Pete
The Pilot 4s is a serious upgrade from the SS, I loved the SS but the P4s is like daylight to dark in comparison.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
The Pilot 4s is a serious upgrade from the SS, I loved the SS but the P4s is like daylight to dark in comparison.

For what aspects? Dry traction? Wet or cold performance? Noise? Durability?

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
For what aspects? Dry traction? Wet or cold performance? Noise? Durability?

Dry and wet are both excellent, cold is the same as the SS. I'm not sure about noise and durability yet, due to having only 1,000 miles on them.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
PS4S carries a low temperature warning that the PSS did not. That 20įF-based guideline probably doesn't apply to Thereaper in Alabama but could for me (NJ) and very likely would for anybody living in New England.

Norm

Thereaper and crjackson2134 like this.

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page