Bravo to snow-Stangs - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Bravo to snow-Stangs

We received under an inch of snow in the Detroit area overnight. As I made my way cautiously to the office in my Explorer Sport with AWD I smiled at the several brave Mustang drivers making their way through slippery conditions.

I drove my 90 LX 5.0 through the snow when I was 19 but Im not sure Id be as confident today.

Tip of the hat to everyone who does it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have done it and still do it when I don't have a "better" winter car available.

It really isn't that bad, especially for those of us who learned to drive on cars with rear wheel drive, no traction control, no ABS, and no limited slip differential - basically, one-rear-wheel-drive.

Throttle control is key of course -- go easy and smooth and it's not much different from any other car. Good snow tires help a LOT, and for best results they should be narrow, not wide. Right now I have a set of 255 Blizzaks on my 2010 and that is really too wide, 235 or narrower would be better. (got the tires with a set of wheels for $400 so I wasn't too choosey)

Rear wheel drive is a lot more fun than front wheel drive, if you want to play in the snow a little. But you have to turn off the traction and stability control, those dang nannies wouldn't let me do a donut if I tried.

Kanistre13 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The last time I drove a Mustang in snow it was a 1972 302 2v with bias-ply 70's on the back and bias-ply 78's on the front. I could barely drive up the incline from the road to a drive way.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I still do it as I don't have a second vehicle. Most day's if it's snowing bad over night I'll work from home so I don't have to drive in the snow although I did purchase snow wheels and tires as an insurance policy if I'm already at work and it decides to snow. But I agree with JBert, we didn't have all this ABS, traction/stability control growing up so we learned in the trenches how to control our rear wheel drives.
huberoy123 and 5.0 Coyote like this.

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019
PONY Member

It's less about the car than it is about the tires. Use good winter tires and it is a lot less dangerous. The risk can never be eliminated, obviously, but it can be lowered substantially with good tires.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my89foxbody View Post
I still do it as I don't have a second vehicle. Most day's if it's snowing bad over night I'll work from home so I don't have to drive in the snow although I did purchase snow wheels and tires as an insurance policy if I'm already at work and it decides to snow. But I agree with JBert, we didn't have all this ABS, traction/stability control growing up so we learned in the trenches how to control our rear wheel drives.

Wait did I understand right that you store your snow tires/wheels at your work? ha

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostang9 View Post
We received under an inch of snow in the Detroit area overnight. As I made my way cautiously to the office in my Explorer Sport with AWD I smiled at the several brave Mustang drivers making their way through slippery conditions.

I drove my 90 LX 5.0 through the snow when I was 19 but Im not sure Id be as confident today.

Tip of the hat to everyone who does it!

Back when we were driving our Fox Body Mustangs, they didn't have the power of the 2011+ unless you cranked up the power with a blower. My '87 had 225hp.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
Back when we were driving our Fox Body Mustangs, they didn't have the power of the 2011+ unless you cranked up the power with a blower. My '87 had 225hp.

Pete

Yes, I also remember my 90 Fox Body as rated with much less hp than my current S197. Unfortunately, my younger self had a significant common-sense deficit and this more than offset the lower power level.

I enjoyed driving RWD without TC, and feathering the throttle to maintain control was a lot of fun. Winter tires were not on my radar, and I relied mostly on used rubber (wide as I could fit on my rims) and it was generally quite bald.

I remember twice getting stuck on essentially pavement (minimal snow/ice) with a slight incline. Once in dip of a gas station parking lot where I had to get a slight push just to get out of the dip. Another time I tried to get up the side of a railway crossing and couldnt get any traction. I eventually had to back up, turn around, u-turn a block away and get a running start.

I guess one difference was I didnt seem to have important places to be back then so the risky drive was okay.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019
PONY Member
2.3L Member

S197s are way better in the snow than the 89 fox body I had. My 2007 was done in by some black ice on the highway, but I have a set of snow tires for my 2011.

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I live in Florida. Back in the day, in Maryland and Virginia, I had a 1988 5.0 LX notch. The trick with that thing was to drift it EVERYWHERE in the snow. It didn't really give me an alternative. Of course, that light little box would go sideways at 3 mph in 1 inch of snow, so I spent a lot of time tooling around the neighborhood looking like a super slo-mo drifter. BUT - IT WAS VERY EASY TO CONTROL IN THE SIDEWAYS CONFIGURATION, SNOW OR NOT.

I ran it on the original Goodyear Gatorbacks for three years, winter and summer. They sucked in any conditions except bone dry 80 deg or higher.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

My last Winter in Maryland made me move to Florida.

Two 25+ inch snow storms in 4 days. This is storm #1 which we called Snowmageddon up there. This one was 27" on the deck lid. Until I started digging, the snow went horizontal from the loop in my stair railing to over my D side mirror. When I first opened the garage door. there was a waist high drift up against where the door had been about half way across my driveway, and didn't taper off until I dug past the front wheels. By the way, NEVER buy a garage townhouse in snow country. No place to put what comes out of the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowonaGTsmall.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	608629  

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
S197s are way better in the snow than the 89 fox body I had. My 2007 was done in by some black ice on the highway, but I have a set of snow tires for my 2011.
True dat. See post #10. But nothing will protect you from black ice. My brother's Silverado 4x4 2500 went off the road at 20 mph backwards in 4wd on black Ice.
Mac The Knife likes this.

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I've got a buddy that drives his '12 V6 year round as his DD. I do the maintenance on his and his wife's vehicles and every spring/fall we swap between summers and snows. I've driven it to his place after an oil change on snow covered roads before and I was surprised how well it handled it. I couldn't do it but he makes it work, lol.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
My ride was a DD up until a year ago. Now I have a company car.
I drove my 08 in heavy snow storms where you couldn't tell where the road ends and the media begins.
I will admit that my commute had no hills. Hills and rear wheel drive don't get along!!!
Like Jbert said about experience, I grew up in NE PA. driving my dad's 72 Nova (3 on the floor)in much worse conditions than I've experienced in Maryland.

"Man's got to know his limitations!"

With that said^^^, don't put ALL your faith in tire selection. You'll end up with a false sense of security.
Ass time in the driver seat will take you a long way.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
Apprentice

Garage
I don't get any snow at my elevation, but I don't live very far from California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. I always take my traction control devices if I need to go into the snow in my Mustang. I use Spikes-Spider Sport model. They only take about a minute to put on and take off.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page